HDMI Passthrough Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
thedoc46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

My setup is as follows.. PS3 Slim as my Bluray, Yamaha RV-X2700 as my receiver and TC-P50G25 as my TV. (not rec'd yet so hence my question)

Both TV and PS3 are HDMI 1.3a , but my receiver which will be acting as a pasthrough is only HDMI 1.2a

Given the specs below, will I lose any quality if I go through my receiver?

Namely Auto-Lipsync Correction feature (8.3.2, 8.9) & xvYCC Enhanced Colorimetry (6.7.2.3) ?

Obviously for sound I'll just go with LPCM from the PS3, but my question is will my TV be getting a lesser quality picture because my receiver is 1.2a only? If I go directly from the PS3 to TV, my understanding is the optical output on the TV downgrades itself to 2.0 only? and even if it was 5.1, i'd still not get TrueHD...

Advice welcomed.


1.3a 2006/11/10

Cable and Sink modifications for Type C (Table 4-20, 4.2.6)
Source termination recommendation (after Table 4-15)
Removed undershoot and max rise/fall time limits (4.2.4).
Modified slope of TP1 and TP2 eye diagrams (4.2.4, 4.2.5)
HDMI cable assembly AC-coupling support required (4.2.6)
CEC capacitance limits changed (4.2.10)
Valid range for RGB video quantization added (6.6)
Added audio sample rate exceptions for ARC (7.3, 7.3.1, 7.3.2)
Added Audio Rate Control Overview (7.11)

1.3 2006/06/22

Significant new features:
- Type C Mini-Connector (4.1.9.5, 4.1.9.6)
- Cable Categories 1 and 2 (4.2.6)
- Deep Color [4:4:4] (6.5, 8.3.2)
- Reference Cable Equalizer (4.2.3.2, 4.2.5, 4.2.6)
- Higher-speed single-link (4.1.2, 4.2.3,through 4.2.6, 8.3.2)
- xvYCC Enhanced Colorimetry (6.7.2.3)
- Gamut Metadata transmission (5.3.12, 6.7.3, Appendix E))
- DST audio format (5.3.10, 7.6.3)
- High-bitrate compressed audio formats (5.3.11, 7.2.4, 7.3.3, 7.6.2)
- Auto-Lipsync Correction feature (8.3.2, 8.9)
Updated normative reference from CEA-861-B to -D (1.2, throughout).
Updated Overview for new features (3)
Several minor editorial (throughout)

1.2a 2005/12/14

Changes to CEC supplement (see supplement for details)
Eliminated IOFF and made VOFF normative (4.2.4)
Changed CEC resistance to 5 ohms (4.2.10)
Clarified DVI device discrimination (8.3.3)
Several minor editorial (throughout)

1.2 2005/08/22

Removed limitations on Type A connector usage (4.1.2, 6.1)
Required new connector mechanical features, optional in 1.1 (4.1.9)
Required Sink support for future AC-coupled Sources (4.2.5)
Add note regarding maximum ratings of Sink (4.2.5)
Clarified Cable Assembly use of +5V Power (4.2.7)
Removed incorrect testing method for DDC capacitance (4.2.8)
Clarified when separate CEC lines on inputs are allowed (4.2.10)
Add maximum resistance spec for interconnected CEC line (4.2.10)
Remove CEC leakage current limit while in standby (4.2.10)
Relaxed YCBCR output requirement for RGB devices (6.2.3)
Added support for additional video formats (6.2.4, and 7.3.3, 8.2.1)
Corrected sample rate requirement from 1000 ppm to ±1000 ppm (7.2.6)
Clarified use of Speaker Allocation Data Block (7.4)
Added support for One Bit audio (7.9, and throughout)
Clarified exception for 640x480p (VGA) declaration in EDID (8.3.4)
Loosened requirement for duplicated DTD declarations (8.3.4)
High-Definition Multimedia Interface Specification Version 1.3a
HDMI Licensing, LLC Page iv
Added recommendation for setting Supports_AI (9.2)
Clarified the behavior of Repeater to Sink with Supports_AI (9.3.2)
Clarified rule for DVD-Audio ACP Packet transmission (9.3.5)
Additional minor editorial (throughout)
thedoc46 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-13-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
thedoc46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post

Hi,

My setup is as follows.. PS3 Slim as my Bluray, Yamaha RV-X2700 as my receiver and TC-P50G25 as my TV. (not rec'd yet so hence my question)

Both TV and PS3 are HDMI 1.3a , but my receiver which will be acting as a pasthrough is only HDMI 1.2a

Given the specs below, will I lose any quality if I go through my receiver?

Namely Auto-Lipsync Correction feature (8.3.2, 8.9) & xvYCC Enhanced Colorimetry (6.7.2.3) ?

Obviously for sound I'll just go with LPCM from the PS3, but my question is will my TV be getting a lesser quality picture because my receiver is 1.2a only? If I go directly from the PS3 to TV, my understanding is the optical output on the TV downgrades itself to 2.0 only? and even if it was 5.1, i'd still not get TrueHD...

Advice welcomed.


1.3a 2006/11/10

Cable and Sink modifications for Type C (Table 4-20, 4.2.6)
Source termination recommendation (after Table 4-15)
Removed undershoot and max rise/fall time limits (4.2.4).
Modified slope of TP1 and TP2 eye diagrams (4.2.4, 4.2.5)
HDMI cable assembly AC-coupling support required (4.2.6)
CEC capacitance limits changed (4.2.10)
Valid range for RGB video quantization added (6.6)
Added audio sample rate exceptions for ARC (7.3, 7.3.1, 7.3.2)
Added Audio Rate Control Overview (7.11)

1.3 2006/06/22

Significant new features:
- Type C Mini-Connector (4.1.9.5, 4.1.9.6)
- Cable Categories 1 and 2 (4.2.6)
- Deep Color [4:4:4] (6.5, 8.3.2)
- Reference Cable Equalizer (4.2.3.2, 4.2.5, 4.2.6)
- Higher-speed single-link (4.1.2, 4.2.3,through 4.2.6, 8.3.2)
- xvYCC Enhanced Colorimetry (6.7.2.3)
- Gamut Metadata transmission (5.3.12, 6.7.3, Appendix E))
- DST audio format (5.3.10, 7.6.3)
- High-bitrate compressed audio formats (5.3.11, 7.2.4, 7.3.3, 7.6.2)
- Auto-Lipsync Correction feature (8.3.2, 8.9)
Updated normative reference from CEA-861-B to -D (1.2, throughout).
Updated Overview for new features (3)
Several minor editorial (throughout)

1.2a 2005/12/14

Changes to CEC supplement (see supplement for details)
Eliminated IOFF and made VOFF normative (4.2.4)
Changed CEC resistance to 5 ohms (4.2.10)
Clarified DVI device discrimination (8.3.3)
Several minor editorial (throughout)

1.2 2005/08/22

Removed limitations on Type A connector usage (4.1.2, 6.1)
Required new connector mechanical features, optional in 1.1 (4.1.9)
Required Sink support for future AC-coupled Sources (4.2.5)
Add note regarding maximum ratings of Sink (4.2.5)
Clarified Cable Assembly use of +5V Power (4.2.7)
Removed incorrect testing method for DDC capacitance (4.2.8)
Clarified when separate CEC lines on inputs are allowed (4.2.10)
Add maximum resistance spec for interconnected CEC line (4.2.10)
Remove CEC leakage current limit while in standby (4.2.10)
Relaxed YCBCR output requirement for RGB devices (6.2.3)
Added support for additional video formats (6.2.4, and 7.3.3, 8.2.1)
Corrected sample rate requirement from 1000 ppm to ±1000 ppm (7.2.6)
Clarified use of Speaker Allocation Data Block (7.4)
Added support for One Bit audio (7.9, and throughout)
Clarified exception for 640x480p (VGA) declaration in EDID (8.3.4)
Loosened requirement for duplicated DTD declarations (8.3.4)
High-Definition Multimedia Interface Specification Version 1.3a
HDMI Licensing, LLC Page iv
Added recommendation for setting Supports_AI (9.2)
Clarified the behavior of Repeater to Sink with Supports_AI (9.3.2)
Clarified rule for DVD-Audio ACP Packet transmission (9.3.5)
Additional minor editorial (throughout)

Gee such a helpful bunch of people on these forums. You all make such a good community.
thedoc46 is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Davinleeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh, thank you. You can google HDMI changes.
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Davinleeds is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
thedoc46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Oh, thank you. You can google HDMI changes.
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx

Shame that doesn't answer my question.
thedoc46 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 7,637
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 503
There should be no video quality loss going through the receiver. Since you'll be using LPCM, there should be no audio quality loss, either.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
Old 05-15-2010, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
thedoc46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

There should be no video quality loss going through the receiver. Since you'll be using LPCM, there should be no audio quality loss, either.

Thank you.
thedoc46 is offline  
Old 05-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Newbie
 
gu55's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder if you could help me, my TV Matsui M22DVDB9 doesn't have HDMI signal, though it had it before. My son has new PS3 , cause he changed his old one thinking the problem was in it and new HDMI cable, which he changed as well, but they say the problem is in TV. Could you , please help. The TV is 6 months old. Thank you in advance. G
gu55 is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
thedoc46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gu55 View Post

I wonder if you could help me, my TV Matsui M22DVDB9 doesn't have HDMI signal, though it had it before. My son has new PS3 , cause he changed his old one thinking the problem was in it and new HDMI cable, which he changed as well, but they say the problem is in TV. Could you , please help. The TV is 6 months old. Thank you in advance. G

Really not sure what you are asking, also i think you should create a new thread rather than post in an existing thread that is asking about HDMI passthrough.

If you are saying your pS3 was outputting to HDMI but your new TV doesn't have an HDMI input, then you'll need to use a PS3 component lead and go through the component inputs of your TV. The lead is the same for a ps3 & ps2 so you can pick these up for cheap.

Either that or buy a new tv that does have HDMI..
thedoc46 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off