What is the best hdmi cable amplifier right now? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I have a 45ft Blue Jeans Series-1 hdmi cable. It has been run between a cabinet (from a soon to be purchased avr) through the walls and ceiling to a Panasonic 42" 1080p TV.

I assume I will need an amplifier device for this hdmi cable run.

Can you guys tell me which amplifier I should purchase?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Chances are you won't need a booster; I'd plug it in and see first. If you do, just about any of them will probably do the trick.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable
post #3 of 13 Old 05-21-2010, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, thanks. I just didn't know for sure. Kurt, could you tell me a little more about your signal booster, that you all sell, if you get a chance? Thanks.

I thought maybe it would be nice to have a backup plan ready to go in case it didn't work without the amplifier. I'd hate to have everything all set up ready to go and not be able to configure this new home theater, without being able to use the tv screen.

I also wasn't sure exactly how it all worked, either. Is their a chance that, say, yeah I could get it to work, only it would be a better picture/signal if I used a booster (but I wouldn't know unless I tried it with a booster as well). Or is it, that it either works or doesn't work? Thanks.
post #4 of 13 Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

I also wasn't sure exactly how it all worked, either. Is their a chance that, say, yeah I could get it to work, only it would be a better picture/signal if I used a booster (but I wouldn't know unless I tried it with a booster as well). Or is it, that it either works or doesn't work? Thanks.

Does anyone have an opinion or any knowledge on this question? Thanks.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
The picture from an HDMI signal that is just good enough will be as good as that from a perfect signal. There won't be any difference in sharpness, color, etc. If the signal is not good enough you will see sparkles, lost lines, blank screen, etc. If you experience that, then is the time to think about adding electronics to the solution.

Good news is that you have already purchased the best cable you can get from a very knowledgeable source. Listen to Kurt.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

I think our booster uses the Maxim chip; there are only a few booster chips available out there (at least as long as we're talking about a conventional booster that doesn't do anything fancy like reclocking), and all of our vendors seem to like the Maxim chip best. As for performance: we find the performance of a booster very hard to predict, presumably because the reason for difficulties varies from situation to situation and these boosters are good at remedying some things (e.g., attenuation and bit transition rounding) and no good at remedying other things (e.g., skew). We find that sometimes a booster will greatly increase the working distance for a cable run in some cases, and in other cases will not increase it at all, so it's a tad hit-or-miss.

Kurt
BJC
post #7 of 13 Old 05-27-2010, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay. Thanks.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well so far the cable has been working great with no booster necesarry! (Sorry for not updating any sooner)

(I have ordered shorter length cables from BJC as well, since my last post and they all work great. I plan to order a couple more soon and maybe some speaker wire for my fronts and center)
post #9 of 13 Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 AM

I have being using a Hama Repeater that does not work in all instances. It is an inline non powered repeater. In the case it does not work, it appears to be that the HDCP is not working i.e. a problem with the I2C bus non differential lines. I deduce this as the TV displays black screen and not the default blue screen with "No HDMI Signal" displayed. I would appreciate any suggestions as well as confirmation that the BJC HDMI amplifier amplifiers both differential and non differential signals. I am using Blue Jeans series 1 cables.
Dave
post #10 of 13 Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 AM

Does the audio drop-out as well? Also what are the lengths and types of the cables used?

I doubt an amp will help you. It usually just amplifes the waves that are being "rounded" by the length of the cable and isn't "tuned" to the cable length you are using.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAMM View Post

It is an inline non powered repeater.
You might want to consider one with its own power supply. Repeaters that draw their power from the 5V line of the HDMI cable, as this one does, have a poor track record. The 5V line is not intended to power devices like this.
Quote:
...confirmation that the BJC HDMI amplifier amplifiers both differential and non differential signals.
You need to contact Kurt at BJC. My guess is it is like most others and just equalizes, and may reclocks, the TMDS lines. I haven't any seen any add-on device that claims to fix problems with I2C. But a HDBaseT extender would fix the problem if that is the problem.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 PM

Thank you for your help. I will get one of the BJC amplifiers and see if that helps.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 AM

Received and tested the BJC Repeater. It does work better. Thanks
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page