Monoprice HDMI Static, Snow, Sparkles, Lines with PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just received four 6ft 28awg Monoprice cables with Ferrite cores. I've tried them, one at a time, between my PS3 and my Onkyo receiver and all of them are resulting in sparkles or whatever you want to call them (see picture). Everything works fine when I use a cheap hdmi cable that I got for free with some av device. Anybody have any idea what the problem is? Monoprice cables seem to get good reviews but it seems I might have four bad cables.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Why in the world would you buy HDMI cables with ferrite cores on both ends? Ferrites are put on cables to keep the equipment they are connected to from polluting the environment with RFI. They are not good for the HDMI signal.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Why in the world would a company make an hdmi cable with ferrite cores if the cores screw up the signal? And why doesn't everyone else have the same problem I do?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You said cheap cable worked and the monoprice ones do not. What do you call monoprice cables, aren't they cheap?

Panasonic TC-P58S2, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Onkyo DV-SP1000, Onkyo DV-HD805, Onkyo BD-SP807, Onkyo DX-V801, Onkyo UP-A1, Onkyo TA-RW411, Onkyo EQ-201, Yamaha Speakers NS700/750 Series, Blue Jean Cables
Old 06-04-2010, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

I was just trying to imply that it should work even though they are cheap cables. No one has any experience with this problem?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:52 PM

Liked: 15
Then use the cheap freebie cables. Apparently there is a problem with these monoprice cables. Try some other cables.

Probably some kind of manufacturing problem, because even at 6ft the crummiest cables should work just fine. You might want to contact monoprice about this specifically since they might want to know that there is an issue.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:53 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22ryan View Post

I was just trying to imply that it should work even though they are cheap cables. No one has any experience with this problem?

Yes this is a common problem and it indicates insufficient bandwidth on the interconnect. That this appears with such a short cable is unique and rare. But clearly it is a cable problem. Change cables to one with higher bandwidth that eliminates the problem.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22ryan View Post

Why in the world would a company make an hdmi cable with ferrite cores if the cores screw up the signal?

Monoprice is an importer and retailer, not a manufacturer. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and guess that they sell them because they don't know any better. Their description of them on their site certainly indicates that. I suspect the manufacturer put them there because they look cool to people who don't know any better.

Quote:

And why doesn't everyone else have the same problem I do?

Most people do not use HDMI cables with ferrites. And my guess is that some of those that do have lower bandwidth requirements than you, and some have exactly the same problem.

Just about any 6' HDMI cable without ferrites should work. Get one tested to Category 2 and you should be pretty sure of success.