HDMI v1.4 extenders/baluns? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 06-08-2010, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am curious to know if anyone has yet created an HDMI extender/balun that supports the new 1.4 / 1.4a HDMI standard. I am in the market to use a balun to stretch HDMI 33 feet via cat5e/6. Any suggestions?
Thanks
SAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
ANy reason you need a unit capable of version 1.4.

Version 1.3 will pass all audio and video required by the standard.

....at this time, I don't see any 1.4 units available.

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
post #3 of 29 Old 06-09-2010, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

1.4 for future proofing my setup. Just recieved my Onkyo 608 - it has HDMI 1.4 plugs on it for 3D and ethernet via HDMI support.
You didn't know this?
post #4 of 29 Old 06-18-2010, 03:31 PM

Has anyone tested a 3D HDMI signal over Cat5/6 baluns yet?
post #5 of 29 Old 06-19-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm86 View Post

1.4 for future proofing my setup. Just recieved my Onkyo 608 - it has HDMI 1.4 plugs on it for 3D and ethernet via HDMI support.
You didn't know this?

What 1.4 can do is known..... why you would need the capability of version 1.4 for your setup is not. Version 1.3 can do 99% of what you need right now. 3D and the use of other capabilities will take some time.

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
post #6 of 29 Old 06-19-2010, 10:14 PM

I just want to know if anyone has tried sending a 3d signal over cat5/cat6 using HDMI 1.3 baluns. Is it possible? maybe sending a 3d 1080i signal?
post #7 of 29 Old 06-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

CATV 3D will work (it is 1/2 frame) over any 225MHz balun, although that chipset has only been available since late march and is only a few baluns.
Blu-Ray 3D (full frame) will not work over current baluns, two main reasons.
1. Bandwidth; you need a full 10G
2. Instruction set requires 1.4a chipset

EDIT: 1 Aug 2010

Turns out that the BD mfgrs are currently outputting a 60FPS signal instead they are only sending 24FPS.
That being the case, better (225 chipset) baluns WILL support BD 3D (although at a shorter distance than normal 1080P)

Brent McCall
Not A Dealer
post #8 of 29 Old 07-09-2010, 08:42 AM

I tested several inexpensive baluns (including monoprice passive baluns), and they sent a 3d signal from a 3d blu-ray to the television successfully at 1080p.
post #9 of 29 Old 07-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

How about DirecTV 3D compatiblity and baluns? Anyone have luck with Monoprice passive wall plates #6177?
post #10 of 29 Old 07-31-2010, 09:56 AM

can you (or anyone) provide any specific balluns or other CAT5/6 based method of transfering both BluRay 3D and DirecTV 3D signal? I've tried two sets of balluns so far with mixed results (different forms of failure).

Setup is a Samsung 55" LCD, Samsung BluRay, DirecTV DVR (Yamaha 667 receiver, but I tried bypassing it and behavior is the same).

I have 3x Cat5 and 2X Cat6 going from TV to components area so I have tons of options but need recomendations on hardware that you guys know will work.

Thanks
post #11 of 29 Old 08-01-2010, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Talk to the team at Octava Inc. They have been using Samsung 3D kit to test compatibility with the current '1.3' range.

The HDOCAT will pass BD 3D and also works with SKY HD 3D here in the UK.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #12 of 29 Old 08-02-2010, 11:29 PM

All of the monoprice baluns (powered and the unpowered wall plates) that worked correctly sending a 3d blu-ray signal through a vsx-1120 receiver to a samsung 3d LCD tv do not seem to work sending a 3d signal from a directv HR24-500 box through the receiver or even directly to the tv. I have no idea why. The directv box says the tv doesnt support 3d.
post #13 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Bummer. That is what I heard. The D* box is more picky than the 3D Blu-ray players.
post #14 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 08:54 AM

gefen has 1.4 hdmi baluns over 1 cat 5 300' with ir passthrough
post #15 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 12:22 PM

I ordered one of the hdmi extenders from hdtvsupply.com that can mimic your tv's edid. I will send an update when I try it. Hopefully directv will update their boxes to make them more compatible.
post #16 of 29 Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey_sdsu View Post

gefen has 1.4 hdmi baluns over 1 cat 5 300' with ir passthrough

Tried the Gefen GTV-HDMI-3DTV-BLK ... From talking to Gefen, its a brand new product and is supposed to be 1.4 compliant. Well, not according to the manual, it clearly states 1.3, numerous times.

The product does work perfectly from 3D source to display (with the exception of a Scientific Atlanta 4250 cable box)... This is a known issue according to tech support and is really not a big deal to swap it out for a different model cable box.

However, they definitely do not work with a 1.4 receiver, such as any of the 2010 Onkyo line. I tried every combination the dip switches offered and finally was told to try a different model balun by the tech support team.

I think I will just have to suffer the inability to use the Onkyo's OSD and go with the cheaper Wyrestorm 130/31 or 150/51 products from each source until someone comes out with a 1.4 HDMI balun that is actually 1.4 compliant... they do exactly the same as the 3DTV for 1/3 the price...
post #17 of 29 Old 09-01-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Look N' Listen View Post

...they definitely do not work with a 1.4 receiver, such as any of the 2010 Onkyo line.

No, you have only determined that they don't work with what you tried. I doubt that it has anything to do with HDMI 1.4 All this extender does is pass data from one end to the other. It is more likely a timing issue during handshaking when the AVR is in between the source and display.
post #18 of 29 Old 09-01-2010, 03:55 PM

You may be correct but that doesn't explain why I can't even get a menu up from the receiver when nothing but it and the display are connected...

And why when utilized between source and receiver, it works fine (with the exception of the 4250 cable box). We verified this by dropping a temp HDMI between the receiver and display and using the baluns between source and receiver.

Just some info on the dipswitches. Although they didn't seem to change anything for my setup.

dip 1 - EDID Mode (External = dip ON, Internal = dip OFF)
dip 2 - Hot-Plig Detect (HPD Passthrough = dip ON, HPD Always High = Dip OFF)

dip 3 - Supports DVI Connections (DVI used = dip ON, HDMI used = dip OFF)
dip 4 - Not used
post #19 of 29 Old 09-24-2010, 06:50 PM

We just did

post #20 of 29 Old 09-24-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Really? The links on the website don't even work.

FWIW you might want to invest a few dollars hiring a native English speaker to check your ads.
post #21 of 29 Old 10-04-2010, 04:26 PM

I have one from Grandbeing, just released and it works. looks simular to the Gefen one but is 1.4 not 1.3

here is a link to the factory web page, I guess they will adress you to a reseller.
http://grandbeing.biz/product/EX0101%20H01%2002.htm

Manual :
http://www.grandbeing.biz/Manual/EX0...ision%20HD.pdf

Home cinema,Model trains,Honda Motorcycles,Ural Military trucks,pinballs and Coca cola bottles,What is your hobby ?
post #22 of 29 Old 10-07-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look N' Listen View Post

However, they definitely do not work with a 1.4 receiver, such as any of the 2010 Onkyo line. I tried every combination the dip switches offered and finally was told to try a different model balun by the tech support team.

Sorry to jump in a bit late but I think my problem may be related with yours.
I was setting up an A/V cabinet for a client and switching out his equipment.

Changed out an old rear projo with a 52" XBR(HX) abd an older sony amp with an Elite VSX-32.

Well, he only had a multi cable (4 RG6Coax) and a couple cat-5e cables ran to the location of the TV. We decided on the new Geffen "3D" capable Balun, the one previously mentioned. Well.. from source to TV.. no problems... however.. when coming from the processor I will get a picture the first time.. as soon as we shut down the VSX and then turning it back on, nothing. Not a picture.. in fact sometimes the VSX would lock up. The only way to remedy the problem would be to power cycle both the sender and receiver portion of the Gefen baluns and then them VSX.

After lengthy talks with Gefen and Pioneer they blame each other..of course.
My thoughts are that this is a handshaking issue. I tried setting the dip-switches in every combination possible as well that did nothing. I tried with a VSX-31 just to make sure the amp wasn't defective, I tried turning off the HDMI control/communications in the devices, I even tried running a new cat5e cable from balun to balun and that did not solve the issue either. Does anyone think it's possible this is happening because the VSX is 1.4 and the balun is only 1.3?

I could really use some help, should I just ditch the HDMI balun all together? or would another balun work and still be HDMI compliant?
post #23 of 29 Old 11-13-2010, 07:50 PM

The Wyrestorm 30/31 and 50/51 baluns both pass 3d source to flat panel display. However, they do not work if you do your switching with the newest Onkyo 08 series receivers because of the 1.4 chip. We have used them in quite a few of our recent clients home theater systems.
post #24 of 29 Old 05-16-2011, 11:07 PM

I came across these posts tonight, as I was trying to figure out a solution to my new problem. By no means am I an expert in this, so please forgive the simple language I will be using.

I had a setup whereby I was connecting my BD player, which is located in a hallway closet, to my 5-year old Plasma (Yes, I know, ancient) TV, which is installed in anoher section of the house, using a pair of CAT5 cables and an ATLONA AT-HD-SR converter. Well, this past weekend I hooked up my brand new Onkyo 808 A/V Receiver and thought the same HDMI set up would work but I have no video signal at my TV.

As I am learning now, the Onkyo has a HDMI 1.4 output, but the Atlona works at the 1.3 standard. So now I have two questions:

1. Has anyone figured out if there is a converter that works at the 1.4 standard, transmitting the HDMI signal from the Onkyo forward?

2. Assuming such a converter exists and actually does the hand-shake with the Onkyo, will my old TV respond and show the signal it receives? I'm assuming my old TV works at the same 1.3 HDMI standard.

Any help or information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
post #25 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebihoo View Post

I came across these posts tonight, as I was trying to figure out a solution to my new problem. By no means am I an expert in this, so please forgive the simple language I will be using.

I had a setup whereby I was connecting my BD player, which is located in a hallway closet, to my 5-year old Plasma (Yes, I know, ancient) TV, which is installed in anoher section of the house, using a pair of CAT5 cables and an ATLONA AT-HD-SR converter. Well, this past weekend I hooked up my brand new Onkyo 808 A/V Receiver and thought the same HDMI set up would work but I have no video signal at my TV.

As I am learning now, the Onkyo has a HDMI 1.4 output, but the Atlona works at the 1.3 standard. So now I have two questions:

1. Has anyone figured out if there is a converter that works at the 1.4 standard, transmitting the HDMI signal from the Onkyo forward?

2. Assuming such a converter exists and actually does the hand-shake with the Onkyo, will my old TV respond and show the signal it receives? I'm assuming my old TV works at the same 1.3 HDMI standard.

Any help or information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I was about to answer your questions when I realized something was quite right. Your TV is well older than 3D and therefore any source should not be trying to send out a 3D signal. In fact, thanks to the EDID handshaking the only thing the Onkyo (or the ultimate source) should be sending out is a compatible signal to the plasma TV.

Does the plasma TV work with the Onkyo with a short high speed HDMI cable?
In other words, can you move the Onkyo temporarily close to the TV to see if the Onkyo and the TV don't have some type of issue?

Also you might want to check to see if the Onkyo has received its latest firmware updates. For whatever reason, the most amount of HDMI incompatibility reports seem to come from Onkyo / Integra A/V receivers. Also is the output resolution from the Onkyo set to native? I'm assuming your five year old plasma does not support 1080p. Is this correct?
post #26 of 29 Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

The version' of HDMI chip in the Onkyo is a red herring - extending an AVR (especially so with Onkyo) can be a bit of a black art no matter what chip set they are using.

I note the Altona Extenders you are using are 'Passive' - in other words they steal' power off of the 5v power rail on the Output device (your AVR) - this can only ever be a bad thing and where you're dealing with an AVR gives you yet another potential problem to overcome.

Joe

post #27 of 29 Old 10-24-2011, 03:43 AM

I know this is an old thread but it is an interesting one.

I succesfully use a HDMI extender (a cheap one) with cat5cables for transporting a 1080p3D signal from my Panasonic BDT300 to my TV (7 meters). Very occasionly i get a some noise in my picture. However when i run it through my Denon 4311 (1.4) receiver, I get a lot of noise.
post #28 of 29 Old 10-24-2011, 06:38 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltar View Post

I know this is an old thread but it is an interesting one.

I succesfully use a HDMI extender (a cheap one) with cat5cables for transporting a 1080p3D signal from my Panasonic BDT300 to my TV (7 meters). Very occasionly i get a some noise in my picture. However when i run it through my Denon 4311 (1.4) receiver, I get a lot of noise.

Could you explain what you mean by "noise"? In other words do you mean sparkles or something different?
post #29 of 29 Old 11-02-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Saying hardware is HDMI '1.4' means very little unless you go on to outline which features (exclusive to the 1.4 Spec) it actually supports.

Saying something is '1.4' does not automatically mean it supports all (or any) of the new features outlined in the 1.4 Spec.

Shop for Features not Version numbers.

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx

Joe

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page