Q: How to get HDMI to my projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-18-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a dedicated home theater and I want to get video from my receiver to my projector. The receiver output is HDMI and the projector input can be either VGA, HDMI, or component. Between the receiver and projector, I have ONE Cat 5E cable and one five wire (not sure of the type - red, green, blue, yellow, black) mini coax cable. I was wondering what the best solution might be?
  1. HDMI over single Cat 5E
  2. HDMI over dual Cat 5E (just not pass the audio signal since I have one CAt 5E)
  3. something over the 5 wire coax
  4. cut the ceiling to run new cables.

I prefer to use existing wiring if possible. I do not need to pass audio to the projector.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

You could use the coax to run component or the CAT5 to run a single HDMI-CAT5 adapter signal. You can't use a dual CAT5 adapter since the audio is sent with the video, not on the second CAT5. I believe the second CAT 5 is usually used for the HDCP signal, and you need that.

If you can, try both the component and HDMI signal (with a temporary HDMI cable) to see if there is any significant visual difference (I assume the receiver also has a component output). If the HDMI looks better, than try a single cable HDMI-CAT5 adapter.

Edit: One negative to using component is that it won't send 1080p, if you want that option.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #3 of 14 Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
What is the length of the cable to the projector?
post #4 of 14 Old 07-19-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow View Post

You could use the coax to run component or the CAT5 to run a single HDMI-CAT5 adapter signal. You can't use a dual CAT5 adapter since the audio is sent with the video, not on the second CAT5. I believe the second CAT 5 is usually used for the HDCP signal, and you need that.

If you can, try both the component and HDMI signal (with a temporary HDMI cable) to see if there is any significant visual difference (I assume the receiver also has a component output). If the HDMI looks better, than try a single cable HDMI-CAT5 adapter.

Edit: One negative to using component is that it won't send 1080p, if you want that option.

Thanks. I was not sure how the HDMI was split on the two Cat 5e over HDMI solutions. Right now I am using 1080i, but would like 1080p for the future. There is no noticeable difference between component and HDMI with my current set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

What is the length of the cable to the projector?

About 30 ft.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-19-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgpark View Post

Right now I am using 1080i, but would like 1080p for the future. There is no noticeable difference between component and HDMI with my current set-up.

Does your projector display 1080p? If you don't need 1080p now, then the cheapest would be to go with component through your existing coax. Later on you can always go with the single HDMI-CAT5 adapter when you want 1080p.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #6 of 14 Old 07-19-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow View Post

Does your projector display 1080p? If you don't need 1080p now, then the cheapest would be to go with component through your existing coax. Later on you can always go with the single HDMI-CAT5 adapter when you want 1080p.

Your suggestion is pretty much what I am doing now. I have an old non-HDMI A/V receiver and I am running component video in and out of the receiver to the projector. I am purchasing a new A/V receiver with HDMI switching and I am not sure if it can switch HDMI input to component output so I was thinking it might be better to run HDMI to the projector.

Thanks for advice, BTW.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think any receiver will generate component output from HDMI in, although many will do vice versa. So if you want to use the HDMI input to your receiver, then you will have to do HDMI out as well.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #8 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Atlona makes a very nice 30' HDMI cable that is flat, in black or white, can be painted, and can be run in or on the walls or under the carpet.

It is very pliable and easily bends in the corners.

Keep climbing the equipment ladder, the exercise will help you live longer because you'll never reach the top
post #9 of 14 Old 07-22-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
You might consider Brite-view wireless HDMI. It will do up to 1080p/24. It's available from Amazon and others for around $300. I bought one, and it works flawlessly.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 PM

Yeah, but that device compresses the signal by dropping bits. It's based a 11n wireless and susceptible to interference.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 07:33 AM

How is the wire run in-wall/ceiling? Can you use the component as a guide wire and pull an hdmi through or are you going through too rafters and studs?

Picture without sound is surveillance.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-heat View Post

How is the wire run in-wall/ceiling? Can you use the component as a guide wire and pull an hdmi through or are you going through too rafters and studs?

I would go for this option as well. Another is to pull a couple more CAT5/6 through instead of HDMI; pulling cables without connectors to get damaged is a lot easier.

I use a dual CAT5e to HDMI adapter to my LCD over a 40' run and it works perfectly with 1080i.

Obviously it is preferable to just have an HDMI cable, but depending how your cables were run, it may not be possible.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
post #14 of 14 Old 11-12-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CJ View Post

Yeah, but that device compresses the signal by dropping bits. It's based a 11n wireless and susceptible to interference.

No. Brite-view uses Wireless Home Digital Interface (WHDI) technology and does not compress the video. It does operate in the 5GHz band, however.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page