HDCP 'master key' supposedly released, unlocks HDTV copy protection permanently - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-13-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It has been reported that the HDCP masterkey has been cracked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-15-2010, 08:08 AM

So... How does this help me watch content that I already bought over my component connection rather then the forced hdmi connection?

Two fish swim into a concrete wall. The one turns to the other and says, "Dam!"
post #3 of 6 Old 09-15-2010, 02:33 PM

Liked: 88
Probably doesn't since HDMI would be in the transport layer (from box to box). The stupid downrezzing of component outputs is within the Blu-Ray device.

All forced-downrezzing is going to do is cost Blu-Ray player manufacturers sales but again it isn't related to HDMI master keys.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 167
No big surprise that even before HDCP was broken in HDMI that pirated HD was still available. I doubt things will change much. Maybe more disk drives will be sold. Captured streams from HDMI player output will be larger than the encoded source files on disc. And just because the security is broken, somebody still has to make a functioning HDMI chip to capture and unlock the streams. Now it will be easier for China to control/edit the content created in the west.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5 of 6 Old 09-24-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

No big surprise that even before HDCP was broken in HDMI that pirated HD was still available. I doubt things will change much. Maybe more disk drives will be sold. Captured streams from HDMI player output will be larger than the encoded source files on disc. And just because the security is broken, somebody still has to make a functioning HDMI chip to capture and unlock the streams. Now it will be easier for China to control/edit the content created in the west.

Agreed. I was astonished to discover how easily pyTivo is able to pull files from my HDMI/HDCP'ed TiVo.

Wondering aloud, what would a device leveraging the use of the master key look like?

An HDMI "switcher" with the ability to output full resolution streams to component? I think this would generate considerable interest for those with non-HDCP displays?

(Like my perfectly useful 24" Dell UltraSharp LCD with HDCP-less DVI-D ports ).

Perhaps an "HDMI Capture Card" that would allow for the real time capture of decrypted video and audio streams?

While I have little interest in decrypting anything for piracy, monetary gain, etc, it sure would be nice if the HDMI switch in my Onkyo receiver didn't cause my projector to go blank every few seconds when I plug my TiVo into one of those nifty, HDCP-enabled ports.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-24-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe_Cutter View Post

Wondering aloud, what would a device leveraging the use of the master key look like?

The simplest would be an HDMI(female) -> HDMI(male) adapter that would simply terminate the HDCP connection and pass on unencrypted data. It could have a little button on it that you could push to generate a new key if the original ever gets blacklisted.

Realistically, the most likely scenario is to add it to something like the HDfury--this would let them generate new keys if they get blacklisted, and would let them add HDMI out to it as well.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page