MacBook and iMac have weak HDMI ouput with Router - AVS Forum
HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World > MacBook and iMac have weak HDMI ouput with Router
kevincopeland's Avatar kevincopeland 01:40 PM 09-28-2010
Our office uses a Gefen 8x8 HDMI crosspoint router to distribute signals throughout our office to our TV's. We have a Blu Ray DVD player, HD Cable box, and laptops into the router and all works good. But the MacBook Pro, and iMac HDMI outputs aren't strong enough to get to our TV's.

We're using Comprehensive dual cat5/6 hdmi baluns. I tried Aurora baluns with adjustable pots to boost the signal, an hdmi DA with equalization but still can't get the Mac's to get through the system. If I plug my Mac directly into the router with HDMI, it works. My Toshiba laptop has no problem. I'm using cat6 wiring. The distance from our conference room to the router is about 30' of cat6. Back to our TV from the router is about 20'. I can't get it to work with a TV hung directly off the router either.

Does anyone know of a solution that would push that signal through without spending a fortune? Something that might regenerate or boost the HDMI signal enough to get through the baluns?

I'm tired of spending money on options that don't work. I need a proven solution.

Thanks.

hughh's Avatar hughh 12:52 PM 10-15-2010
Kevin,
If I were you I'd try Apple support. BTW - As far as I know, Apple does not use HDMI on any of their computers.
ChrisWiggles's Avatar ChrisWiggles 01:11 AM 10-16-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Kevin,
If I were you I'd try Apple support. BTW - As far as I know, Apple does not use HDMI on any of their computers.

?? They use Display Port (DVI) on practically everything now.

To address the OP, I would probably try an HDMI booster. Unfortunately, nothing with HDMI over distance is at all proven and reliable. It's always a crap-shoot.
reactor153's Avatar reactor153 09:53 AM 10-16-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Kevin,

the new mini has HDMI out, and the Apple TV (New and old both have HDMI out)
kevincopeland's Avatar kevincopeland 12:42 PM 01-11-2011
I'm using a mini display port adapter to DVI, then convert to HDMI. I also have one that goes direct to HDMI. I have tried putting the DVI signal into a Kramer converter that converts to HDMI. With all of these options I still cannot push the signal through like the Toshiba will. I also tried running a 25' HDMI cable across the floor and through the wall to the router. The signal shows up, then blanks out for a second, shows some static partially on the screen, comes in, goes out, etc. I ran this through a 1x2 distribution amplifier which didn't help.

My quest continues.
kc
Colm's Avatar Colm 03:30 PM 01-11-2011
Read this?
Up
Mobile  Desktop