Long vs Short HDMI cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just wondering. Currently my HDMI cable is 50' and I had some problems with my new receiver which I thought could be the distance thing, but it turned out my receiver was damaged. My other receivers all worked fine with the 50'

It got me thinking.

I was thinking of moving my AV equipment back toward the projector and using shorter HDMI cables. Would there be any noticeable difference in short vs long if they both worked? Picture quality, lip sync (if distance has anything to do with it), etc

My experience with Mackcam Warranties. Projector sent with HDMI issue, returned with Lens damage. Still no ETA. 6 Months waiting to date. Sporadic response from CS. Stated it was sent to Epson, but was sent to another repair shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-12-2010, 05:47 PM

Liked: 10
No quality difference. If an hdmi cable is too long, it just won't work. It can var by the device you're plugging into. Some units don't like long cables.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-14-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post

No quality difference. If an hdmi cable is too long, it just won't work. It can var by the device you're plugging into. Some units don't like long cables.

I found this out today.

My older and cheaper Yamaha 365 has no problem with an equally cheap 35ft HDMI cable I got from Projector People when married to my Epson PJ. On my new Pioneer 920-K it struggles with content intermittently. I was getting some nice teeth grinding signal loss with my new toys. Swap out the PJ for my Toshiba 46" flatscreen and it works fine. Swap out the HDMI cable for a shorter one and the PJ works fine.

Solution: I didn't move my gear, but I had a little play in the cable length so I was able to cut off 10 ft, and I'm going to a 24AWG instead of the more common 28AWG HDMI. I'm installing it tonight, so I'll let you know if it works! My receiver doesn't seem to mind the longer cable in this case it's the Epson.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-14-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekshow View Post

I found this out today.

My older and cheaper Yamaha 365 has no problem with an equally cheap 35ft HDMI cable I got from Projector People when married to my Epson PJ. On my new Pioneer 920-K it struggles with content intermittently. I was getting some nice teeth grinding signal loss with my new toys. Swap out the PJ for my Toshiba 46" flatscreen and it works fine. Swap out the HDMI cable for a shorter one and the PJ works fine.

Solution: I didn't move my gear, but I had a little play in the cable length so I was able to cut off 10 ft, and I'm going to a 24AWG instead of the more common 28AWG HDMI. I'm installing it tonight, so I'll let you know if it works! My receiver doesn't seem to mind the longer cable in this case it's the Epson.

Cool deal, I was just wondering if there is any quality differences over long distances vs short distances. If it works with my Epson 8500 and the AVR-4311 then maybe I will just leave things alone. If anything I can try a BJC 50 footer before investing 600-700 dollars in moving my lines to the rear of my room.

My experience with Mackcam Warranties. Projector sent with HDMI issue, returned with Lens damage. Still no ETA. 6 Months waiting to date. Sporadic response from CS. Stated it was sent to Epson, but was sent to another repair shop.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-14-2010, 05:53 PM

Liked: 14
If it's working, there are no quality differences whatsoever.

The difficulty with long distances is to get things to work. Moving things nearer may assist if you have problems over a long distance, but as long as things are working over that distance there will not be any difference in quality whatsoever.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-14-2010, 06:54 PM

The 24 awg may indeed be an answer, I have been building some cables using this wire gauge and they are working perfectly up to 50 feet. I experimented with 26 and 28 awg with lesser results. I know 22 awg cable exists and it may well be an answer (other than amplification) over longer distances but I have yet to find the proper connectors for that gauge.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page