HDMI Image Flicker - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-01-2010, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have simple setup. HD receiver (Scientific Atlanta 4250HD) hooked up to my HDTV (Sony KDL-46V5100) using a 6-feet HDMI cable from monoprice.

Here's my problem. In HD channels, I see very annoying image flickers. They happen at various rate (from every 30 second to every 5 minutes). I noticed they are more frequent in fast action scene (ex: hockey, football games). I saw two types of flickering:
1. The whole image seems to freeze for a few milliseconds, then resume.
2. Only a small part of the image gets distorted or change color. It's mostly a rectangular region that changes to black or white.

I already tried with another HDMI cable more expensive than the monoprice cable (not a monster cable tough) with no significant changes. I also tried all 4 HDMI input ports of my TV with no success. I called the cable company (videotron) many times. They boosted the signal level so the debug pages on the receiver displays acceptable signal level. They also replaced the receiver with another one. With the component cables, the flicker does not happen.

Could my replaced receiver was still defective? Could it be my TV that has a problem with HDMI? Have you experienced this problem? Is there any other tests I could try?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Mathieu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Try using a Blu-ray player with the TV or a DVD player that can output 1080p60. That will push the most amount of data you'll need (sans 3D) to see if the TV has issues. Most likely it's a cable TV infrastructure issue or the HD box itself, and possibly a source issue. What output resolution are you setting on the "box" with HDMI and component output?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 3 Old 12-01-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Larry,

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to say in my original description that I already tried with a friend's blu-ray and did not see any flicker.

I don't understand what you mean by:
Quote:
...and possibly a source issue

Do you mean there could be a problem in the program itself being broadcasted (through coax cable)?

With both HDMI and component output, I set the resolution to 1080i (the max that my "box" can output. It is also confirmed by the TV (there is a function to tell the current input format). But the blu-ray was outputting at 1080p.

Mathieu
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page