Monoprice HDMI Switch issues - suggestions please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-06-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using the monoprice 4x1 hdmi switch, P/N 4088. It is being used to switch between a panasonic BD65 bluray player and older (fat) PS3. The chain between source and display is: source -> switch -> receiver -> display. All HDMI cables are 6ft 24awg monoprice cables.

The issues I'm having are: I get an error on the bluray player display indicating the cables are too long. The PS3 has a lot of static on the screen that comes and goes.

Things I've tried: I've switched cables around to see if cables are bad - I had the same issues no matter what cables were used. I tried different inputs on the switch - all inputs displayed the same symptoms. I took the switch out of the chain and wired directly to the receiver - the symptoms went away for both sources.

So, from my testing this tells me the switch is the problem. I should note that I'm on my second switch - the first had the same issues and was RMA'ed for the one I currently have. Monoprice is telling me perhaps it's compatibility issues with my sources, but it seems there are a LOT of people that use monoprice switches and I've yet to hear of someone having issues with them. I've read user threads for both sources and there are people successfully using the switch without issue.

Is there possibly something I am doing wrong with setup - it's a pretty basic component though. Plug it into the power and plug your hdmi cables in and away you go. Could i possibly be too close to something causing interference? Is that possible with HDMI cables?

Are there any other people having issues with monoprice switches, and if so what have you done to remedy it? Thanks! I'm pulling my hair out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-06-2010, 12:43 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by usace View Post

I am using the monoprice 4x1 hdmi switch, P/N 4088. It is being used to switch between a panasonic BD65 bluray player and older (fat) PS3. The chain between source and display is: source -> switch -> receiver -> display. All HDMI cables are 6ft 24awg monoprice cables.

The issues I'm having are: I get an error on the bluray player display indicating the cables are too long. The PS3 has a lot of static on the screen that comes and goes.

Things I've tried: I've switched cables around to see if cables are bad - I had the same issues no matter what cables were used. I tried different inputs on the switch - all inputs displayed the same symptoms. I took the switch out of the chain and wired directly to the receiver - the symptoms went away for both sources.

So, from my testing this tells me the switch is the problem. I should note that I'm on my second switch - the first had the same issues and was RMA'ed for the one I currently have. Monoprice is telling me perhaps it's compatibility issues with my sources, but it seems there are a LOT of people that use monoprice switches and I've yet to hear of someone having issues with them. I've read user threads for both sources and there are people successfully using the switch without issue.

Is there possibly something I am doing wrong with setup - it's a pretty basic component though. Plug it into the power and plug your hdmi cables in and away you go. Could i possibly be too close to something causing interference? Is that possible with HDMI cables?

Are there any other people having issues with monoprice switches, and if so what have you done to remedy it? Thanks! I'm pulling my hair out!

Author deleted answer
post #3 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression from reading some reports that the "high speed" hdmi cable designation was a bit of snake oil. If the cables are designated for 1.4 (or even 1.3) they should be more than capable of handling a 1080P signal.

Having said that, I have brand new monoprice 6ft 24 awg "high speed" cables from each source into the switch and out of the switch into the receiver. Monoprice claims 10.2 Gbps bandwidth for these cables. The cable coming out of the receiver to the TV is an older (approx 2 yrs old) 6ft 24 awg monoprice cable. I don't know if it had the "high speed" designation at the time of purchase - it seems like the high speed cables are pretty new to the scene. Visually, it looks identical to the new cables. I suppose I could move some cables around to ensure I'm using the new ones through the entire chain and see what happens.

I know I mentioned this before, but if I take the switch out of the chain then I have zero problems. The picture is rock solid on the PS3 and I don't get the error on the panny bluray player. So, by adding the switch (with equalizer, according to monoprice) and an additional 6ft of "high-speed" hdmi cable length I have issues with both sources using the switch.

Also worth mentioning, because of the fact that I was getting no picture at all with the bluray player, I am currently wiring it direct to the receiver - my cable box and PS3 are sharing the switch. The cable box gives me no issues at all in this configuration - the picture is perfect. The cable box's output is 1080i though, so perhaps you're on to something with the hdmi cables and 1080p.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression from reading some reports that the "high speed" hdmi cable designation was a bit of snake oil. If the cables are designated for 1.4 (or even 1.3) they should be more than capable of handling a 1080P signal.

Deleted by author
post #5 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I think I understand now. I did some testing last night using cables labeled as high speed purchased from monoprice. I tried the bluray player and PS3 with high speed cables to the switch, receiver, and tv - i.e. all cables in the signal chain were high speed. Unfortunately this didn't eliminate the issues - no signal from the bluray player (with error on the display) and sparklies from the PS3.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
what about going just source,switch,display with no receiver in the loop??? I suspect it is OK.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

I think I know where you're going with this test - by eliminating one device and cable from the chain (essentially shortening the signal path) I can verify whether my signal path is just too long. I suppose it's worth a try, but definitely isn't a solution as I don't want to live without the receiver.

When I bought the receiver I wondered whether two hdmi inputs would be enough, but knew that a lot of people were using hdmi switches with good success. Little did I know I'd have problems with it. Part of me is leaning towards just upgrading my receiver to something with more inputs.

I've contemplated ordering a bunch of 3ft high speed cables to reduce the overall length of cable from source to display from 18ft down to 9ft. However, 18ft doesn't really sound like a large distance though based on what I'm seeing from others - especially those with long cable runs to projectors.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:

I think I know where you're going with this test - by eliminating one device and cable from the chain (essentially shortening the signal path) I can verify whether my signal path is just too long. I suppose it's worth a try, but definitely isn't a solution as I don't want to live without the receiver.

When I bought the receiver I wondered whether two hdmi inputs would be enough, but knew that a lot of people were using hdmi switches with good success. Little did I know I'd have problems with it. Part of me is leaning towards just upgrading my receiver to something with more inputs.

I've contemplated ordering a bunch of 3ft high speed cables to reduce the overall length of cable from source to display from 18ft down to 9ft. However, 18ft doesn't really sound like a large distance though based on what I'm seeing from others - especially those with long cable runs to projectors.

Author deleted answer
post #9 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
well... the reason for the test is kind of "are you sure" thing... cause of your statement that seemed to "imply" that the monoprice switch(es) is "no good".... but I think you can't make that "simple statement". Of course, as others have said, you will likely have found out that HDMI in a "chain" can have many "unhappy things happen". Having said that, your problem might be simple to resolve with a different switch that perhaps does better "signal improvements" (ie. amping, equalizing). I suspect that your input section on your receiver isn't necessarily that "great" and as a result has some difficulty with a "less than optimal" signal quality. It would sure be nice if the manufacturers could get together and put out some "common codes" (ie. blinking lights) that would help tell the end user why a piece equipment isn't happy.... of course, publish them and also not have them all say "contact the service center"....:-)
post #10 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 01:31 PM

I do not have a receiver, but I was having trouble with PS3 going through the same Monoprice 4088 HDMI switcher. My actual setup was PS3 (fat kind) and Wii (with Wii2HDMI adapter) going through the 4088, followed by a 30 foot HDMI cable run inside the wall to my Sony 1080p flat screen.

My problem was... the switcher passed the Wii but not the PS3. So, then I tried a Rocketfish 4 to 1 HDMI switcher from Best Buy ($99). Exact same result. No PS3 signal. Finally, I decided to try the SONY SB-HD21, 2 to 1 HDMI switcher ($99); and it worked perfectly on both the PS3 and the Wii. This Sony switcher is out of production, but you can still find it on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SB-HD21-H.../dp/B001AI1SCK

There are a lot of cheap HDMI switchers on the internet and all of them claim they are 1.3 compliant. My guess is the Sony switcher is just more compliant with the HDMI standards (as well as other standards).

If you need an HDMI switcher with more inputs, you might try another out of production product, the Oppo HM-31. I have not used this one, but I hear it is compliant:

http://www.oppodigital.com/hm31/

Good luck!
post #11 of 13 Old 12-30-2010, 07:10 AM

Not sure if this problem is related, but I'm to the point of thinking that the culprit here is the monoprice switch, at least in part. I have the same switch that the OP has. I have two DirecTV HDDVR receivers and a PS3 (inputs) connected to an LG plasma (out).

After switching to the PS3 and then turning it on I get black picture at least 80% of the time. I then have to reboot the PS3 to reset the video settings before I can get the picture to the TV. While I'm using the unit no issues at all.

With the HDDVRs, I can watch TV (both HD and SD programing) and switch between the two units without any issues. However, when I try to watch PPV movies, no matter the resolution (1080p or 1080i), I get a black picture and I have to reboot the receivers in order to regain the picture.

I think there's a "hand-shaking" issue that the switch is not able to handle consistently. To be fair, I do have a rather long run of high speed HDMI cable (35ft), but again, I am able to get 1080p to the TV through the switch-but only after rebooting the PS3. So I don;t think that is contributing to the problem. I thin I'll give the Sony switch a try.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Had a grand plan to use Monoprice extenders with Monoprice matrix switch for a networked AV setup. Ended up selling the matrix and abandoning the setup because the stuff would not work together or apart. HDMI is garbage. Buy component designed to do a certain thing and it will not work on its own due to handshake issues before or after the component.

OK, here's this thing that works by itself. Great. Now plug it into this other thing that works by itself. Same HDMI spec. FAIL. Something has to be done about the flaky handshake issues of HDMI, hopefully the technology will catch up so that the Movie Production companies will be happy enought about anitpiracy specs and concurrently allow those of us who rightfully purchased media to be able to distribute it throughout our home as we desire.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #13 of 13 Old 12-30-2010, 12:31 PM

Liked: 13
Hey there folks,

People do come across incompatible issues with our switchers once in awhile. Unfortunately, you won't be able to know if your exact setup will work unless you actually test it out. And looking at your setup, your cables check out and they should not be the one causing handshaking issues.

If you haven't done so yet I would try testing sending 720p signals also as well as a different set of HDMI devices(and cables) to see if you can get any reaction from the switcher.

But judging from what you have said, this is already your second switcher and it is doing the same thing. If you are within our 30 day money back guarantee you can always setup a return RMA and obtain a refund and try one of our other switchers. Each switcher does have a different chipset from another so if that switcher did not work, there is a chance another switcher will. Please PM me if you want to setup a return and I will be happy to assist you. Thank you!

Tech Support
Monoprice.com
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page