Quality of the cheapest monoprice HDMI cables... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-05-2011, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok after a few months I'm kind of curious about the qualiy of the lower priced monoprice HDMI cables.

One of the cables I bought has gone bad... It was mainly hooked up to my PS3 and I noticed a LOT of random pixels flashing all over the place. I thought it was a PS3 problem but then I switched HDMI cables and no problem at all.

Also with all the hdmi cables I noticed weird edge line/band issues near black borders on movies etc. (See this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...851&highlight= )

These are the ones I bought in various colors:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I don't blame monoprice, but I am curious if going to a higher quality HDMI cable is a good idea especially for future TVs?

If so what would be a good step up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-05-2011, 06:30 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune76 View Post

Ok after a few months I'm kind of curious about the qualiy of the lower priced monoprice HDMI cables.

One of the cables I bought has gone bad... It was mainly hooked up to my PS3 and I noticed a LOT of random pixels flashing all over the place. I thought it was a PS3 problem but then I switched HDMI cables and no problem at all.

Also with all the hdmi cables I noticed weird edge line/band issues near black borders on movies etc. (See this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...851&highlight= )

These are the ones I bought in various colors:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I don't blame monoprice, but I am curious if going to a higher quality HDMI cable is a good idea especially for future TVs?

If so what would be a good step up?

I have to admit I stay away from the ferrite core models and go for the "higher priced" Monoprice cables. Still keeps me under $10 for the cable for any of the shorter lengths. Just scroll down from your link and look for the 24 AWG high speed "premium" line. I've never had a problem with those and a couple of them are in-wall for over a year now.

There is always Blue Jeans Cable if you are looking for a different vendor.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 AM

Liked: 10
So what is wrong with the ferrite core cables I have read this advice twice now thx
post #4 of 12 Old 03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Ferrites should only be used if your HDMI cable is radiating noise that affects other equipment in an unacceptable manner. They will degrade the performance of the HDMI cable. See here.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 PM

Liked: 11
Colm your "here" doesn't link to anything.

As for the ferrite cores on HDMI cables, if they cause a degradation in signal quality why are they on the cable that Oppo supplies with their player?
post #6 of 12 Old 01-19-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchantord View Post

Colm your "here" doesn't link to anything.
Yeah, that happens sometimes with three year old links. FWIW it was a research paper that measured the effects of ferrite cores on HDMI signals.
Quote:
As for the ferrite cores on HDMI cables, if they cause a degradation in signal quality why are they on the cable that Oppo supplies with their player?
I don't know. Why don't you ask them? Maybe they need them to keep their gear from polluting the ether. A better question might be why are they typically seen only on the cheapest cables?
post #7 of 12 Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 PM

Just thought I would ask is all. I thought Oppo would go with accessories of a higher standard. I would have liked to have read that paper though.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-20-2014, 09:50 PM

Remember we're talking about digital cables. If I remember right Oppo provides a 6' cable. You don't need too much quality for a 6' HDMI cable to pass even high speed signals. As long as the bits don't have errors, then improving the cable quality doesn't improve the data quality. It's when you get to longer lengths that the ferrites could start to interfere. Notice on the longer length cables, there are no ferrites.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-20-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I have to give Oppo kudos. Their 6' HDMI cable is only $10.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-21-2014, 05:45 AM

I'm an Oppo fan for Blu-Ray players. They still have some of the best packaging I've ever seen for their players and the players work great. It's funny that the packaging still stands-out years later.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I know it's several years old, but since it has been bumped, I have used many of the 'cheapest' MP HDMI cables with poor results in consistency and quality. They just are nowhere near as robust in long term quality as their more expensive cables and now their Redmere cables.

But, I've actually switched away from MP to Parts Express for shorter length cables.

http://www.parts-express.com/search.aspx?N=4294967118%204294967079&Nrs=collection()/record[endeca:matches(.,"P_PortalID","1")%20and%20endeca:matches(.,"P_Searchable","1")]&Ntt=super%20slim%20hdmi%20cable&PortalID=1

These are the best cables I've used and seen to date for overall quality and value for the dollar. I've personally tested over 100 cables with a $10,000 HDMI tester and they have all passed 1080p/60 material without issue. Thin, lightweight, flexible, and inexpensive. I can carry 50 cables in a lightweight box instead of needing a large box that weighs thirty pounds. Really good cable if you haven't seen it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

I'm an Oppo fan for Blu-Ray players. They still have some of the best packaging I've ever seen for their players and the players work great. It's funny that the packaging still stands-out years later.

Quality has a way of doing that. Pity we don't see more of it this day and age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I know it's several years old, but since it has been bumped, I have used many of the 'cheapest' MP HDMI cables with poor results in consistency and quality. They just are nowhere near as robust in long term quality as their more expensive cables and now their Redmere cables.

But, I've actually switched away from MP to Parts Express for shorter length cables.

http://www.parts-express.com/search.aspx?N=4294967118%204294967079&Nrs=collection()/record[endeca:matches(.,"P_PortalID","1")%20and%20endeca:matches(.,"P_Searchable","1")]&Ntt=super%20slim%20hdmi%20cable&PortalID=1

These are the best cables I've used and seen to date for overall quality and value for the dollar. I've personally tested over 100 cables with a $10,000 HDMI tester and they have all passed 1080p/60 material without issue. Thin, lightweight, flexible, and inexpensive. I can carry 50 cables in a lightweight box instead of needing a large box that weighs thirty pounds. Really good cable if you haven't seen it.

Thanks for that link. I never order anything but the Redmeres from Monoprice though.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page