Eliminating the audio signal from HDMI wire?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a PC connected to my TV via HDMI for video, and via RCA for audio.
Recently, I upgraded my video card (GTX560 Ti), and apparently the new video card supports audio over HDMI, so my TV (XBR960) won't accept sound over the RCA connection anymore.

I can have either audio on the TV, or audio on PC, but not both.

If I could eliminate the audio signal from the HDMI wire, this would be solved.
I have connected with a DVI to HDMI adapter, and it still sends the audio over anyway, which I didn't know was possible.

I really want to have audio on both the PC and TV, for games and everything...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpUigi View Post

I have a PC connected to my TV via HDMI for video, and via RCA for audio.
Recently, I upgraded my video card (GTX560 Ti), and apparently the new video card supports audio over HDMI, so my TV (XBR960) won't accept sound over the RCA connection anymore.

I can have either audio on the TV, or audio on PC, but not both.

If I could eliminate the audio signal from the HDMI wire, this would be solved.
I have connected with a DVI to HDMI adapter, and it still sends the audio over anyway, which I didn't know was possible.

I really want to have audio on both the PC and TV, for games and everything...

Can't be done. Audio track is always there (even if it is null). Also while the original DVI spec did not have an audio capability, by connecting to HDMI you've added the audio signal.

However, there should be a TV option in the TV's menu to disable HDMI audio. Also most video cards (at least from a year ago) had a pin jack that prevented audio from being sent out by the card. Basically the pin jack made the connection to the computer audio. Without that connector there was no audio from the computer over HDMI. Check the video card's documentation.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Can't be done. Audio track is always there (even if it is null). Also DVI does not have an audio capability, so that isn't possible.

As you noted the audio track is always there in HDMI. And since it is embedded with the digital video signal in HDMI then it would also be available in in a DVI-D signal from a HDMI to DVI adapter.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
Old 03-07-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow View Post

As you noted the audio track is always there in HDMI. And since it is embedded with the digital video signal in HDMI then it would also be available in in a DVI-D signal from a HDMI to DVI adapter.

I thought the DVI spec didn't allow for audio? But, it is imbedded in the stream, so it must be there. Interesting - so DVI doesn't carry audio but will if connected to HDMI.

I will correct my answer. Thanks!

Andy
Old 03-07-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

I thought the DVI spec didn't allow for audio? But, it is imbedded in the stream, so it must be there. Interesting - so DVI doesn't carry audio but will if connected to HDMI.

I will correct my answer. Thanks!

Andy

IDK either, but I used to have a setup between a satellite box and an HDTV connected with a DVI cable with DVI/HDMI adapters connected to both ends and it carried audio+video.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

OK, so it's not a case of "I just need a worse DVI to HDMI adapter that doesn't support audio" right???
Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpUigi View Post
OK, so it's not a case of "I just need a worse DVI to HDMI adapter that doesn't support audio" right???
No - you would need a really smart one that knew where to intercept the audio bits in the steam, decode them, substitute null packets, reencode them and do that all in real time. I don't think that exists in adapter form :-)

Check for TV menu items and for the jumper on the video cards. Those are your best bets.