Can HDMI cable go bad? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 03-08-2011, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 50' run of HDMI to my Sharp LCD has been working fine for over a year. Lately, it goes through periods where it just transmits no video at all. Today it apparently has given up altogether. To test, I've hooked the HDMI out to another LCD via a short HDMI and I've hooked the XBox360 directly to the Sharp LCD via short HDMI and both worked fine. I've tried my Sharp BluRay, my Motorola STB and the Xbox 360 over the long HDMI and get nothing.

Barring any physical damage, can the HDMI just fail?

BTW, the cable nomenclature is Type CL2 shielded 22AWG/10C + 24 AWG 5C.

Does that mean it's 22AWG or 24 AWG?

Richard Gautier

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-08-2011, 01:33 PM

Liked: 12
Does that mean it's 22AWG or 24 AWG

It means 10 wires are 22awg & 5 wires are 24awg.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-08-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinistrV6 View Post
Barring any physical damage, can the HDMI just fail?
Can they? Sure. Most likely problems would be bad connections where the wires terminate at the connectors, or pins on the connectors may have fatigued. Is it likely? No.

FWIW 50' is pretty long for HDMI. You may just have been on the edge all the time and were just lucky it worked for you up to now.
post #4 of 24 Old 03-08-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post
Can they? Sure. Most likely problems would be bad connections where the wires terminate at the connectors, or pins on the connectors may have fatigued. Is it likely? No.

FWIW 50' is pretty long for HDMI. You may just have been on the edge all the time and were just lucky it worked for you up to now.
I understand your line of thinking but nothing's moved so if I was on the edge, I'm still on the same edge.

After further testing, it appears more likely that the HK AVR645 is only intermittently transmitting video via HDMI. As it's been a bit troublesome since I bought it (repaired twice already for other issues) I'm inclined to think that's my issue.

I got it to work for a few minutes then lost it again. The Xbox 360 transmits across the long HDMI every time now (not sure why it didn't before).

Richard Gautier

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got."
post #5 of 24 Old 03-08-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
You are assuming nothing has changed. That is not necessarily so. Parameters of electronic devices can change over time. The environment can change over time. The resistance of connections between plug and socket change change over time. That said. I think it is more likely for the parameters of the electronics involved to drift a bit over time than the cable.

What resolution, frame rate, and color depth are you running?
post #6 of 24 Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Colm,

Resolution is 1080i

Frame rate - not sure

Color depth - not sure (and not sure how to check).

I've been fighting this thing for a couple of days now. If I plug the Motorola STB directly into the 50' HDMI --> Sharp LCD it works flawlessly.

Swapping sources on the same line (i.e. Xbox 360 ---> 50' HDMI --> Sharp LCD and Sharp BluRay ---> 50' HDMI --> Sharp LCD) doesn't work.

With the BluRay, it'll briefly give me the MENU screen but it disappears. Movies won't appear at all. BTW, the Sharp is recognizing the BluRay player and even shows that it's receiving a 1080i signal but no video appears.

The Xbox 360 does absolutely nothing over this run when connected directly.

Is this an indication that the STB is the only device generating a signal powerful enough to transmit that distance on it's own?

BTW, NONE of the source devices will transmit video over that distance when connected through my HK AVR 645 (even though they have for quite some time prior to this). I'm thinking the AVR645 isn't working (or at least isn't working properly). Even though the STB transmits fine when connect directly to the LCD, running it through the AVR 645 results in no video. The AVR645 actually displays a message on it's front panel that says "switch monitor to HDMI in" (it is already set to receive via HDMI). Is that an indication of too much resistance/signal loss/distance?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I'm at a loss. I hooked up the STB directly so at least the family will have TV in the Great Room while I'm working this weekend. I even tried the HDMI over CAT5E wall plates I bought from Monoprice months ago. No luck. But that's a separate issue....

Richard Gautier

post #7 of 24 Old 03-11-2011, 02:31 PM

IMO - A cable is a cable, whether 5' or 50', a well constructed cable will last you a long while. They get damaged, generally due to the abuse we put on them by plugging/unplugging them. If your cable is a long run, it is quite possible, that during the installation, one of the wires within the jacket got tugged on. Poor workmanship can cause the wire to come disconnected from the pins at the connector end. A cheap cable, if perhaps, the wires are soldered at the pin, instead of crimped, a bad solder joint (cold solder) could break lose over time.

So, for them to stop working just like that, well, cables don't melt on their own (LOL) so go back and think about when you installed it, what transpired during the installation and hopefully, you'll get an idea. Lastly, if you are constantly plugging them and unplugging them, the connector is taking the abuse and that could be another reason why they fail

general rule of thumb: buy quality products and you are less prone to seeing equipment failures. No, I'm not saying to go buy a Mon$ter, just a reputable brand that has been around. Belden cable mfg is top notch, for example.

in your case, just isolate the problem by using a different cable to make sure the issue isn't at the device's connector end. Yep, they too can see a lot of abuse by lots of connecting/disconnecting. If the actual HDMI port is damaged, then you've got bigger issues. But, go the simple route first, and get a different cable and test
post #8 of 24 Old 03-11-2011, 03:54 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget-zilla View Post
IMO - A cable is a cable, whether 5' or 50', a well constructed cable will last you a long while. They get damaged, generally due to the abuse we put on them by plugging/unplugging them. If your cable is a long run, it is quite possible, that during the installation, one of the wires within the jacket got tugged on. Poor workmanship can cause the wire to come disconnected from the pins at the connector end. A cheap cable, if perhaps, the wires are soldered at the pin, instead of crimped, a bad solder joint (cold solder) could break lose over time.

So, for them to stop working just like that, well, cables don't melt on their own (LOL) so go back and think about when you installed it, what transpired during the installation and hopefully, you'll get an idea. Lastly, if you are constantly plugging them and unplugging them, the connector is taking the abuse and that could be another reason why they fail

general rule of thumb: buy quality products and you are less prone to seeing equipment failures. No, I'm not saying to go buy a Mon$ter, just a reputable brand that has been around. Belden cable mfg is top notch, for example.

in your case, just isolate the problem by using a different cable to make sure the issue isn't at the device's connector end. Yep, they too can see a lot of abuse by lots of connecting/disconnecting. If the actual HDMI port is damaged, then you've got bigger issues. But, go the simple route first, and get a different cable and test
I'm not sure I agree with some of this. I've seen cables (actually the connectors) go bad due to oxide build-up over time. Luckily that is usually solved by cleaning. I've seen apprarently good solder joints fail over time due to (again) oxidation or other chemicals getting in the way.

But, you are right if there is damage to the cable and it was ever so slightly moved, that could cause the damage to become evident in the signal. Gravity is always working (no shutoff switch), so there is always a pull on the cable and connectors unless they are flat on a horizontal surface.

There are also RFI concerns. RF interference can change without touching the cable as it is an outside source. The cables susceptibility to RFI can also change.

And certainly a 5' cable is not the same as a 50' cable in HDMI land. Both cables being of equal quality and construction, the 50' will still be more potential for EMI issues and for degredation of the signal.

The bottom line is cables can go bad without any person touching the cable. Luckily it is not common but it still can happen.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I did a search on HDMI cables going bad and this thread came up. The reason I did a search is because one of my HDMI cables suddenly went bad. 2 years ago when I upgraded to Time Warner HD cable, I hooked up the cable box via HDMI and I never touched the connection since then. Everything worked well until now. I'm watching something on TV and suddenly the picture would flicker and the digital audio signal would drop out on my receiver. It's very weird. At first I thought it was a cable issue, so I let it slide for a few days. Then the flicker kept getting more and more frequent. I was ready to blame Time Warner because my DVD player and Blu-ray player are also hooked up via HDMI and none of them ever have any flickering issue. And I've had those hooked up a lot longer than my cable box. Well, I was just about to complain to Time Warner thinking my cable box was going bad until I decided to swap the HDMI cable to see how things go. I swapped it with a new cable and to my surprise, no more flickering. I watched for an hour and not one flicker. Thinking it might just be a coincidence, I swapped the cable back to the old one. And within 2 minutes, the picture flickered. So, now I'm really suspecting it's the HDMI cable after all. So, now I swapped it back to the new HDMI cable and watched for two hours and no flicker at all.

So, yup, apparently, my 2 year old HDMI cable has suddenly gone bad for no apparent reason. Mind you, this cable was hooked up two years and was left alone since then. The cable was never touched. So, nothing could have possibly damaged it. It apparently just deteriorated with age, I guess. Though I should add that this cable was purchased from Ebay, so I have no idea what brand of cable this is. But then again, my other two HDMI cables that I used to hook up my DVD and Blu-ray player were also bought from the same seller on Ebay, so I was under the impression that I was buying a decent cable from a reliable seller. I guess this just goes to show that you need t be careful with how cheap you get when buying HDMI cables.
post #10 of 24 Old 04-19-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Bottom line, don't buy your cables from eBay. Buy from reputable dealers like Monoprice, Media Bridge, Blue Jeans, etc. Caveat emptor.
post #11 of 24 Old 04-20-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Monoprice is expensive. Sure they only charge $3-4 for a cable, but the shipping charge is outrageous!!
post #12 of 24 Old 04-20-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Cost is always a factor that needs to be weighed against quality and reliability. You obviously got what you paid for.
post #13 of 24 Old 04-20-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Is Monoprice really that good? Never tried them, so I'm not sure how reliable they are. What about AmazonBasics? They're pretty cheap and the reviews on Amazon are good.
post #14 of 24 Old 04-20-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not familiar with AmazonBasics so they could be anything, from a well made cable to some cheap Chinese knock-off. Monoprice (along with the others I've mentioned) make very good, reliable cables. Personally, I'd buy my cables from a well known, and respected, company. There's a reason why some cables are really cheap, and it's not always do to bulk purchasing by the seller. Reviews can always be fudged so those have to be taken with a grain of salt. I don't think the Monoprice costs for certified, high speed HDMI cables are all that high.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-29-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I don't think the Monoprice costs for certified, high speed HDMI cables are all that high.

It's not the cable prices that I find high; it's the shipping charges. They are charging $8 just to ship two HDMI cables costs. My total cost is $15. I guess compared to what Monster charges, that's not so bad, but I don't know why they charge so much for shipping....
post #16 of 24 Old 05-31-2014, 12:01 PM

Liked: 13
Yeah, I believe HDMI cable can go bad easily. Obviously the hdmi technology is 0-1, so it works or not and some say it's not a matter of a cheap or expensive cable. But the truth is the material the cables are made of matters a lot. So yea.

I had Amazon Basics once in my hands - it is very popular on Amazon though it seemed more like a Chinese knock-off. Monoprice are indeed very reliable. Now, I'm using a Prolink cable and it's also very decent. there are a lot of good cables. Amazon Basics is probably just as the name sounds wink.gif
post #17 of 24 Old 05-31-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

HDMI cables, like anything else, can fail but if you get a cable from a reliable mfr like the above-mentioned brands (Monoprice, MediaBridge, Blue Jeans, etc) the likelyhood is greatly diminshed depending on how you have them installed (sharp bends, stress on the input ends, etc).
post #18 of 24 Old 06-01-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
For what it's worth, Monoprice cables fail like everything else out there. I've seen some really nice cables fail, and I've seen the good and cheap ones from Monoprice fail, but a lot of it does have to do with the bends in the cable and the quality of the specific cable you end up with.

For runs 6' or less, I have switched over to using the Parts Express branded Super Slim HDMI cables, which are inexpensive, and don't put excessive strain on the cables. For 10' to 15' I have been using Redmere cables from Monoprice for the same reason. For runs over 15', I switch gears entirely and use 22AWG cables from Monoprice because they just work. Heavy, hard to install, and they work.

But, any and all HDMI cables need to be handled quite carefully for long term usage.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #19 of 24 Old 07-10-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ you must work for SF Cable because this is the second ad you've posted.

Oops. My bad. This was not meant for AV_Integrated. I responded to another poster and somehow it ended up here. My apologies to AV_Integrated.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 07-10-2014 at 11:08 AM.
post #20 of 24 Old 07-10-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Third

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #21 of 24 Old 07-10-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Oh, I've made quite a few postings on the Parts Express cables. They don't make them though. They are getting them from somewhere else (for sure) and I think they are on Amazon as well. But, since I've had amazing results with them and they aren't an active cable, I will continue to endorse them for 6' and less runs because they get away from the 'thicker is better' mentality that so many have been suckered into over the years.

To this point, I think I've installed 20-30 of these cables without a single failure or call back, and the cables aren't falling out which is a problem I've experienced in the past with the heavy gauged, snake-skinned Monoprice cables.

I will still happily tout the MP cables as a great deal and used them for years, and while I don't use Blue Jeans Cable I have nothing but good things to say about them as well. So, I'm pretty freelance on my commendations as long as the cables represent quality appropriate to the money and support which is represented.

1080p/3D @ 50' over HDBT using the 6' PE cables, then continuing on 35' over a HDMI cable to my projector with zero issues. Something good going on in all of this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #22 of 24 Old 07-11-2014, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Early on in the HDMI timeline you had to go with overly large diameter and usually overly stiff Cable stock to go out past 5m - these cables could be prone to failures at the solder joins between the conductors and the pins on the connectors.

If you dismantle an HDMI cable you see a pretty busy gaggle of wires where the connector meets the cable - it's amazing that more folk don't have cable failures.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #23 of 24 Old 07-17-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing I can't stand about Monoprice cables is that they're so thick. What bothers me about them is that the heaviness of the cables can put stress on the HDMI port of the TV. This can cause permanent damage because I heard that HDMI ports are very very fragile. At least those "cheap knockoff" cables I got from EBay are much thin and more flexible. It puts less stress on the ports.
post #24 of 24 Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

If your cable runs are short, then you can probably get away with a thinner gauge wire. Or, you can use a Redmere cable which is very thin and puts absolutely no strain on the input end at all. I only use certified HDMI cables from reputable mfrs but to each his own.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page