Apple TV 2 - But TV doesn't have HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-19-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks

Any way to connect a new Apple TV 2 to my TV that doesn't have HDMI? It has s-video, component, audio, coax, DVI... Basicially everything BUT HDMI.

I did purchase a HDMI to component cable - it doesn't seem to work, but it was cheap from eBay. It also doesn't work with any of my other HDMI equipped gear (PS3 - Telus Optik box).

Is it this cable, or does this just not work?

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-19-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
It takes more than a cable to convert HDMI to component.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-19-2011, 07:00 PM

Liked: 11
You have DVI? You could use an HDMI-DVI cable for video and run an optical cable to a receiver (if you have a receiver); otherwise you'll need a powered optical audio -> analog audio converter.

Note that there are some ATV2 users with DVI-equipped TVs (mostly Sonys, from what I can tell) who are experiencing resolution issues after the ATV2 4.2 update. Search support.apple.com for more information; apparently a future software update may fix this problem.
post #4 of 16 Old 03-20-2011, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Peter

Yes, it has DVI. But it's our bedroom TV (the new sony 3d took it's place in the living room). So there is no stereo up there with an optical input.

Can I AirPlay FROM the ATV2 to an Airport Express? That's the bedroom music set-up - APE to powered Bose Roommate speakers. No optical input, and they are on the other side of the room.

Does AirPlay work that way? And will it work that way from Netflix?
post #5 of 16 Old 03-20-2011, 08:07 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
Thanks Peter

Yes, it has DVI. But it's our bedroom TV (the new sony 3d took it's place in the living room). So there is no stereo up there with an optical input.

Can I AirPlay FROM the ATV2 to an Airport Express? That's the bedroom music set-up - APE to powered Bose Roommate speakers. No optical input, and they are on the other side of the room.

Does AirPlay work that way? And will it work that way from Netflix?
Is there a digital coax input? Digital audio optical to coax converters are about $20.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

'DIGITAL' coax?

I don't know what that is. It has coax in (Cable input).
post #7 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
As in digital audio via coax (RCA type, not screw-on).
post #8 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post

'DIGITAL' coax?

I don't know what that is. It has coax in (Cable input).

Well, here's your opportunity to learn...

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

Many devices have a digital audio output that is either optical or copper wire. The optical port, as on the Apple TV 2, is called optical, while the copper wire version is called "coax". The coax port uses an RCA cable, although it has to be an RCA cable that is of good enough quality to handle the digital signal. Converting between optical and coax is relatively easy because it really is the same signal, just in a different form.

The Apple TV 2 has four ports - HDMI, USB, optical digital and network along with power. The HDMI can be converted to DVI and used on your TV *if* (!) your TV is also HDCP capable. HDCP is the copy protection mechanism that all standard consumer HDMI outputs must use for commercial output. No HDCP = no picture. Many DVI-only TVs were not HDCP compatible. There are no commercially available HDMI to component adapters.

If your TV has no digital audio input, then you have to convert the optical digital audio coming out of the Apple TV 2 to stereo analog audio. The easiest way is with a cheap A/V receiver and then plug that output into your TV (or just add speakers to the A/V receiver).

However, you're now adding cost. At this point I'd say you really have two choices - 1) Return the Apple 2 TV and explain why you are returning it or 2) Get a new TV that has an HDMI port.

This is just another example of why the push to make things all-HDMI is occurring way too soon. I suspect the reason for all-HDMI on the Apple TV 2 was also to minimize size but there are still a lot of people who will find their TV is not compatible with the Apple TV 2 because of this poor design.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Andy

Thanks for the detailed reply and all of your help/advice. I agree with you, it's either this goes back or I get a new TV. I'm going with - The Apple TV goes back. I'm guessing there are lots of folks out there in my position. Any other output would have made this usable for us.

Yes, I have an HDMI equipped TV, but that has more than enough information being fed into it. I needed something for Netflix in the bedroom. I guess I'll just grab a cheap DVD player with Netflix built in.

Thanks again - Case closed.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-19-2011, 10:24 AM

"There are no commercially available HDMI to component adapters."

These won't work then?

EDIT: Well I can't post URL's yet... Go to newegg and search for "HDMI to Component" There are 2 listed that look like they should work. I'm asking if they will because I haven't tried either.

I know this is an old post but it might solve the problem for someone else.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-19-2011, 11:54 AM

I understand that you can't post a link but how about a manufacturer and model number? Does the unit support HDCP? What resolutions are supported?

You may be able to find a non-readily available unit that does what you want but HDMI Org is usually pretty aggressive at getting those off the market. What I saw on Newegg wasn't one of those and I'm certainly not going to advertise the name on this forum that used to be run by the HDMI org. They would be in a Fury if I did. You might try Google though (please don't PM)...

I looked at the manufacturers site for the one (not two) on Newegg. They claim HDCP compatibility. They are also claiming HDMI version 1.2a compatibility so the chipset is pretty old. The one review I read said it worked with an older Onkyo receiver. Whether it will work with a newer device is unknown.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-19-2011, 01:59 PM

There are HDMI > Component converters out there, but they're not cheap:

http://dme.ghost2.net/hdfury/hdfury-iii/specs-iii/

The guys over in the Rear Projection forum seem to use them the most... I have no experience with these, just heard about them at some point...
post #13 of 16 Old 09-20-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisd View Post

There are HDMI > Component converters out there, but they're not cheap:

http://dme.ghost2.net/hdfury/hdfury-iii/specs-iii/

The guys over in the Rear Projection forum seem to use them the most... I have no experience with these, just heard about them at some point...

Let's see if they are still selling these in a month. I'm sure whoever still monitors this forum from the HDMI Org (I'll bet someone looks in occasionally) appreciates the link.

Better hurry up and order while you still can...
post #14 of 16 Old 06-12-2012, 05:12 PM

i bought the same cable but it doesnt work
i ALSO read in an article that ''this cable doesn't exist'', you lost your money,like i did
post #15 of 16 Old 06-13-2012, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 61
HDMI is Digital – ‘Component’ is Analogue – there is no way for a cable to ‘convert’ one to the other!

There are cables with an HDMI plug at one end and 3 or 5 RCA at the other – these are used in a non-standard configuration by some media players where the player outputs an analogue signal via an ‘HDMI’ socket!

Do not plug these cables into your HDMI equipped kit – they can and do cause permanent damage!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #16 of 16 Old 06-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mapa View Post

i bought the same cable but it doesnt work
i ALSO read in an article that ''this cable doesn't exist'', you lost your money,like i did

Of course the original poster put this here over 9 months ago. So, I think they already know that they lost their money.

Might want to check the dates on appends before posting - we'll call it a rookie mistake.

In any event, welcome to the AVSForum!
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page