35 foot HDMI cable for 3d blu ray 1080p - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered a new samsung 3d led (un55d8000). I will be mounting it on the wall and I need a 35 foot hdmi cable. I need a cable with kind of a flat head/connector to pull it through the space I have. The monoprice flat 24AWG Standard Speed looks like it would go through the space I have. Is his cable good enough for 1080p and blu ray 3D? Any other suggetsions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-23-2011, 05:34 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by claypool0 View Post

I just ordered a new samsung 3d led (un55d8000). I will be mounting it on the wall and I need a 35 foot hdmi cable. I need a cable with kind of a flat head/connector to pull it through the space I have. The monoprice flat 24AWG Standard Speed looks like it would go through the space I have. Is his cable good enough for 1080p and blu ray 3D? Any other suggetsions?

We get this question from newbies who just joined the forum a lot. You can check the archives for a much quicker answer in the future. In fact, you should check the recent appends (over the last two weeks to a month) to get a good idea of what is and is not available.

Also, please realize that if you are doing 1080p/60 and Blu-Ray 3D you need a high speed cable. HDMI cables come in only two flavors (with additional options). The types of cables are standard speed (or cat 1) and high speed (also known as cat 2). Those are the only designations. You can read more about this at the web site of the people who own the trademark and the specs, the HDMI Org, at:
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#45

I'm going to assume for your question that your meant "in wall" not "on wall". The biggest thing I can tell you is to thoroughly test the configuration out of wall before placing the cable in wall. Many people install the cables in wall and then have realized they have a problem. If you really mean "on wall", then the problem becomes easier.

The actually answer to your question is that you need a high speed cable, but no one (except maybe Blue Jeans Cable) has a certified high speed cable of that length. It is outside of the spec. Standard speed cable and high speed cable both use the same connectors and have the same number of pins. The high speed is certified for the faster speeds necessary for 3D and 1080p/60 and deep color, etc.

So you can try a standard speed cable and it may or may not work depending upon your equipment, the wall environment (interference), the cable itself and even the wall plates. Also, the higher the gauge of cable, the more likely it seems that a standard speed cable will work at high speeds, but that is only one factor. I've used a 24 awg cable from monoprice to go 50' with high speed. The problem was getting the cable to bend the way I wanted, but that was the only choice. If you crimp or bend the cable too hard, the cable will stop working.

The other thing you can do is to buy a converter that will convert to Cat6 and then back to HDMI at the TV. Those are certified for the distances you specify. Also an active HDMI cable may work.

HDMI is a very difficult cable to work with. It is very important to test well before putting the cable out of reach and by going outside of the specs, you're the only one who can answer whether the cable will work or not.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 PM

Liked: 10
I put a 35 foot Blue Jeans Cable Belden Series One into my walls today. 3D blu ray worked and looked great. Bluetooth TiVo remote and HDMI CEC let me hid the TiVo and blu ray player and still have just the tivo and tv remotes out on the coffee table, and we point both ahead at the tv.

I too was worried about a 35 foot cable run, but in my ten minutes of testing, i had a great image with no problems.

Good luck
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page