denon avr-4306 1080p direct with Win7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-28-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon AVR-4306, PC with Windows7 Ultimate, NVDIA GForce GT430 using HDMI out for both audio and video, and a HDMI 1080P TV/monitor.

I have set the Denon to be Direct through for the video/audio.

When Windows boots up it recognizes the monitor as "Denon" and will only allow 480P resolution. I have tried to force the resolution to be higher by unchecking the "List Only Compatible Modes" checkbox and tried some higher resolutions. I can get some versions of 780p to work but the graphics are distorted.

Here's the catch, when I open Windows Media Centre, everything switches to 1080P. Everything is great until I need to switch to the Internet or window to some other app outside of Media Centre.

The PC's Gigabyte motherboard has built-in HDMI audio/video with 7.1 surround and 1080p, however, I could not get this to handshake at all to the Denon. I suspect that HDCP built into the motherboard 's HDMI was giving me issues.

The NVIDIA card does not have HDCP enabled.

If I hook up the PC direct to the TV/monitor by-passing the Denon, the PC sees my monitor correctly and provides the correct 1080P resolution.

My next idea was to try an ATI grahics card. I have a slimline computer box so my video card choices are limited.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordVokey View Post

I have a Denon AVR-4306, PC with Windows7 Ultimate, NVDIA GForce GT430 using HDMI out for both audio and video, and a HDMI 1080P TV/monitor.

I have set the Denon to be Direct through for the video/audio.

When Windows boots up it recognizes the monitor as "Denon" and will only allow 480P resolution. I have tried to force the resolution to be higher by unchecking the "List Only Compatible Modes" checkbox and tried some higher resolutions. I can get some versions of 780p to work but the graphics are distorted.

Here's the catch, when I open Windows Media Centre, everything switches to 1080P. Everything is great until I need to switch to the Internet or window to some other app outside of Media Centre.

The PC's Gigabyte motherboard has built-in HDMI audio/video with 7.1 surround and 1080p, however, I could not get this to handshake at all to the Denon. I suspect that HDCP built into the motherboard 's HDMI was giving me issues.

The NVIDIA card does not have HDCP enabled.

If I hook up the PC direct to the TV/monitor by-passing the Denon, the PC sees my monitor correctly and provides the correct 1080P resolution.

My next idea was to try an ATI grahics card. I have a slimline computer box so my video card choices are limited.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You'll probably get better results in the HTPC section of the AVSForum but let's see...

Your PC software (or at least the Blu-Ray software) is supposed to downmode to 480p or not display anything if HDCP is not enabled. So, that's a possibility.

Another thing to check is that you have the latest Denon firmware and the latest NVidia drivers. I find it difficult to believe that HDCP would give you trouble with the Gigabyte motherboard and a Denon so something else may be going on there.

If it were me and I was doing a new build, I'd take out all of the cards with the exception of only the cards I needed to run and see if the problem still occurs. You almost would have to do the same thing with the software to see. Perhaps boot-off a minimal 7/XP disc or just something to see if the handshaking occurs with none of the other software included. Might also make sure you are using only a single display while troubleshooting.

Sorry, but without much more knowledge of your setup, it really isn't possible to give a definitive answer unless someone has hit this situation before.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World