TV displays green screen when connected to laptop's HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, quick question.
I'm new to using HDMI. I haven't ever had it until I bought a laptop with an HDMI output a few weeks ago.
Anyways, I want to use my laptop to play HD video on my Vizio HD TV (I'm not sure the model of the Vizio as I'm not at home right now).

So I bought an HDMI cable (from a "Factory Direct / refurb" type of store), plugged it into the laptop / tv, turned the TV to the right input aaaaaaaaaaand nothing. The screen showed "Receiving Data" for a few seconds, then the screen goes black, then the screen either goes solid green or solid purple... and just sits there.

A few things to note:
- laptop running Windows 7 shows the TV model in the display properties screen and all it's recommended resolutions right up to and including 1080p (this leads me to believe there is communication between laptop / TV).

- no matter what "mode" the 2nd display is set to (extend, duplicate, etc...) the screen will show nothing other than a green or purple screen.

- when i reboot the computer the TV shows the POST screens and the Windows 7 loading screen... but not correctly. The screen is all red with the Windows logo in the center (at that point in booting the background should be black with the windows logo) - the screen is very distorted with lots of "fuzz". The colours in the Windows logo aren't correct.

- when the computer loads to the point of the Windows 7 logon screen the TV goes back to solid green (or purple)

- video card in my laptop is the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650. I downloaded and installed the latest version of the drivers / Catalyst Centre.

My initial thoughts are the cable itself - I tried the laptop on another HD TV in the house and the same thing happened. The laptop knows what kind of TV it's connected to but the TV shows nothing... and the 2nd TV the screen stays at "no input". So I'm a little confused.

Any ideas or help would be great!!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 02:52 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbutler81 View Post

Hi guys, quick question.
I'm new to using HDMI. I haven't ever had it until I bought a laptop with an HDMI output a few weeks ago.
Anyways, I want to use my laptop to play HD video on my Vizio HD TV (I'm not sure the model of the Vizio as I'm not at home right now).

So I bought an HDMI cable (from a "Factory Direct / refurb" type of store), plugged it into the laptop / tv, turned the TV to the right input aaaaaaaaaaand nothing. The screen showed "Receiving Data" for a few seconds, then the screen goes black, then the screen either goes solid green or solid purple... and just sits there.

A few things to note:
- laptop running Windows 7 shows the TV model in the display properties screen and all it's recommended resolutions right up to and including 1080p (this leads me to believe there is communication between laptop / TV).

- no matter what "mode" the 2nd display is set to (extend, duplicate, etc...) the screen will show nothing other than a green or purple screen.

- when i reboot the computer the TV shows the POST screens and the Windows 7 loading screen... but not correctly. The screen is all red with the Windows logo in the center (at that point in booting the background should be black with the windows logo) - the screen is very distorted with lots of "fuzz". The colours in the Windows logo aren't correct.

- when the computer loads to the point of the Windows 7 logon screen the TV goes back to solid green (or purple)

- video card in my laptop is the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650. I downloaded and installed the latest version of the drivers / Catalyst Centre.

My initial thoughts are the cable itself - I tried the laptop on another HD TV in the house and the same thing happened. The laptop knows what kind of TV it's connected to but the TV shows nothing... and the 2nd TV the screen stays at "no input". So I'm a little confused.

Any ideas or help would be great!!

Thanks in advance!

Usually a green screen is likely a cable problem or something causing errors. But, are you sending out a screen resolution that your TV can accept? Some TVs cannot accept anything but 1080p, 1080i and 720p.

If you are running at 1080p, then you should only use a high speed HDMI cable. The cable advertising should have the words "High Speed" in the ad.

One thing you can try is to lower your resolution on the HDMI output to 1080i and see if that works. Also make sure your video drivers are up to date and the firmware on the Vizio is the latest.

Sorry, there isn't enough information to give you anything more specific.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I've tried other resolutions... None of them worked.
My video drivers are up to date and as far as I know my TV doesn't have updates for it.

What specifics would you like? I can get more info for you.

Thanks.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 05:19 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbutler81 View Post

Yeah, I've tried other resolutions... None of them worked.
My video drivers are up to date and as far as I know my TV doesn't have updates for it.

What specifics would you like? I can get more info for you.

Thanks.

I'm confused about one thing. Have you tried a second HDMI cable that is confirmed to be high speed? I read that you tried a second TV but not a second cable.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

SOLVED.

It was the cable. Went out and bought a high speed (20 ft) cable - for some reason it was the longest, and cheapest one. Now it works.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page