28 AWG vs 24 AWG How long is too long? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-17-2011, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Friend will be picking up a 60 inch led sharp that's 3d capable tomorrow and he also has the swinging bracket that you can pull off of the wall and Tilt. I was chatting with a monoprice rep and he told me that anything above 8 feet is recommended 24awg. I went ahead and started to read the reviews on monprice for the 24awg cables, and even though they're all extremely highly rated almost everyone comments that they are so thick they make a wall installation almost impossible because the cable will not bend. Anyone have any suggestions? would a 12 or 15 foot 28awg not do the job performance wise? Or possibly should I look for the right cable somewhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Blue Jeans Cables Series F2 is 28 AWG and rated high speed to 15'. Thats about as good as it gets. If you want a high speed cable longer than that, you are looking at thicker wire. However, hardly anyone is pushing the HDMI bandwidth limits. You might get by with a good 28 AWG cable at somewhat longer lengths. Don't forget to take into account the entire length of the wiring, not just the in-wall part.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-18-2011, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Google "port saver"

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #4 of 7 Old 05-18-2011, 08:52 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greater Malison View Post

Friend will be picking up a 60 inch led sharp that's 3d capable tomorrow and he also has the swinging bracket that you can pull off of the wall and Tilt. I was chatting with a monoprice rep and he told me that anything above 8 feet is recommended 24awg. I went ahead and started to read the reviews on monprice for the 24awg cables, and even though they're all extremely highly rated almost everyone comments that they are so thick they make a wall installation almost impossible because the cable will not bend. Anyone have any suggestions? would a 12 or 15 foot 28awg not do the job performance wise? Or possibly should I look for the right cable somewhere else.

I have two 24 awg monoprice cables in-wall. You just have to be careful with the connectors and be prepared to get a new cable if you break the connector. The HDMI wall plates that have a pigtail to plug into, really did help.

However, any type of connector saver would be helpful. But don't rule out the 24 awg - it can be done.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-18-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
just curious alk what is the length of each cable and also keep in mind that its a swinging bracket that can come off of the wall around 2 feet
post #6 of 7 Old 05-18-2011, 05:25 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greater Malison View Post
just curious alk what is the length of each cable and also keep in mind that its a swinging bracket that can come off of the wall around 2 feet
The long one is 8' + 50' + 3' = 61' spread over the three cables. HDMI distribution amp on one end and TV on the other running at 1080p.

If I understand your setup correctly, I'd certainly use a wall plate. That way if the cable did get pulled out, at least you're only replacing a 3' or 6' cable (and maybe the wall plate).
post #7 of 7 Old 05-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Liked: 10
For the run outside the wall, with the TV, I would highly recommend swivel ended HDMI...

http://www.amazon.com/Vanco-299003X-...5761458&sr=1-3
http://www.amazon.com/Vanco-290003X-...5761458&sr=1-7
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page