HDMI 4x4 Matrix Switch? (ie. what's better than Monoprice?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've received my Monoprice 4x4 HDMI Matrix Switch yesterday and it's not quite working that great for me.

The main problem is that you can't switch inputs unless they are active.

This is a problem because it's causing my remote control macros to fail. I'm tweaking them but I'd really rather a matrix switch that just switches to whatever I tell it even if there is no input available, etc.

The second problem is that if you issue commands too fast (RS232) it misses them. I'm still debugging this but the RS232 commands only work about 25% of the time.

What's the "next step up" from the Monoprice model? RS232 is nice but not necessary and the same for 3D. Another nice thing would be EDID spoofing (espicially for 3D) but I realize each of these features adds a lot of cost to the price. I'd like to stay well under $500 if at all possible.

Thanks for any suggestions!

EDIT: How is the Octava 4x4 switch? It's listed at $599 (more than I want) plus I'm from the US and not Europe where it looks like they ship to... Hmmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post

I've received my Monoprice 4x4 HDMI Matrix Switch yesterday and it's not quite working that great for me.

This is a problem because it's causing my remote control macros to fail. I'm tweaking them but I'd really rather a matrix switch that just switches to whatever I tell it even if there is no input available, etc.

The second problem is that if you issue commands too fast (RS232) it misses them. I'm still debugging this but the RS232 commands only work about 25% of the time.

What's the "next step up" from the Monoprice model? RS232 is nice but not necessary and the same for 3D. Another nice thing would be EDID spoofing (espicially for 3D) but I realize each of these features adds a lot of cost to the price. I'd like to stay well under $500 if at all possible.

EDIT: How is the Octava 4x4 switch? It's listed at $599 (more than I want) plus I'm from the US and not Europe where it looks like they ship to... Hmmm.

I don't know much about the monoprice unit, try googling the manufacturer of the matrix switch, or best to call monoprice..

I was considering the Octava 4 x 4 HDMI Ethernet Matrix Router, since I ran 2-sheilded cat6 lines to every room in the house & I thought it was a good way to go taking advantage of cat6 bandwidth, from what I've read, some people were having having handshake issues with the Octava units, people were getting support from Octava, there might be a thread here with some people talking about the unit, but in the end, I ended up building my own HTPC, and installed a Ceton Quad HD tuner card, and running Linksys DMA 2100 extenders to 4 tv's, and with my decision not to use the Octava, was only that I'm not staying at my current house any longer than I have to, just re-doing the basement to look nice and then consider the Octava option in the next home.... More and more companies are going to have more of something like this in the future....
post #3 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 10:27 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post

The Octava 4x2 was in the $250 range last time I looked. Remember they have just-HDMI as well as HDMI/Cat-6 matrix switchers.

For RS-232 you have to leave a gap between separate commands. As long as you got your Baud rate (actually bps) correct, there isn't much other debugging you're going to be able to accomplish.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Octava Inc. Has it's office in Atlanta.

The HDMX44 will cover your requirement for Discrete IR, switch to any port, RS232 and EDID spoofing.

The HDMX44CAT covers all of the above plus adds Extender support over Dual CAT6 and Routed IR.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old 12-13-2012, 09:31 PM

I'm working on communicating with the Octava 4x4 using with the RS232 port - Question is it possible to use linux command line (bash) to send commands to the device? I'm having issues figuring out the syntax or structure for the HEX or ascii format

Any advance would be appreciated !
post #6 of 8 Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Are you in the US or UK?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdz9r View Post

I'm working on communicating with the Octava 4x4 using with the RS232 port - Question is it possible to use linux command line (bash) to send commands to the device? I'm having issues figuring out the syntax or structure for the HEX or ascii format
Any advance would be appreciated !

Having used Linux (in a VM setup with Windows XP as a base to CentOS Linux) to send RS-232 recently, it can be a challenge. However, the troubleshooting is fairly straight forward.

There is a program, called SJINN, that allows you to send specific commands to the RS-232 ports under Linux command line. It also gives verbose feedback which was really helpful in troubleshooting. Remember most Linux configurations have the serial ports locked out until you grant permission under the root for the specific users. The other thing I found very useful was to have the old Radio Shack RS-232 tester adapter, which has a bunch of LEDs for each of the RS-232 port signals. RTS and CTS (I believe) needed to be configured properly for the commands to get through. I'm not sure how the Octava handles those lines.

In a pinch, try to find a copy of Windows HyperTerminal to verify that you have the connection and RS-232 command format correct using a Windows machine. Once you do that then it's just a matter of getting Linux to talk. Certainly possible.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 AM

Hi,
The RS-232 commands are in HEX format.
You can see the commands here: RS-232 HEX code for HD44CATMX
Any questions you can contact the tech team at info@octavainc.com
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version