No HDMI output. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Yamaha HTR-6150 is no longer outputting an HDMI signal. I was able to isolate the problem at the reciever as I connected my WD HD Media Player directly to my Optoma HD65 projector and I get a picture just fine.

I don't know what happened as I used it to watch movies and TV and after a few weeks without using it, it no longer worked. This thing has about 50 hrs of use... I sure hope something hasn't fried on it.

I tried unplugging it for 30 seconds... did the reset procedure... tried connecting a DVD, VCR and laptop on various ports and although it seems to detect them, I still don't get a display on my projector.

Any ideas what might be the problem? If this thing is shot after just over a year of extreme light use, it'll be the last Yamaha I ever buy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-08-2011, 10:02 PM

Dead AVR have been happening with greater frequency lately...

It has a 2 year warranty...have you had it that long?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

I've had it for a year and a half... I assumed it came with the standard 1-yr warranty here in Canada... Gonna have to look into it... Might ease the pain of having paid $300 for something that hardly got any use.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-10-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well I found the original box and looks like I've had it since May 2009... yep... now out of warranty.

Are these things worth fixing if the only problem seems to be with the HDMI output port?

At this point, I can still use it for sound and I can hook up my multimedia player directly to my projector but it also means I will not be able to watch TV on my projector.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-12-2011, 12:07 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukus View Post

My Yamaha HTR-6150 is no longer outputting an HDMI signal. I was able to isolate the problem at the reciever as I connected my WD HD Media Player directly to my Optoma HD65 projector and I get a picture just fine.

I don't know what happened as I used it to watch movies and TV and after a few weeks without using it, it no longer worked. This thing has about 50 hrs of use... I sure hope something hasn't fried on it.

I tried unplugging it for 30 seconds... did the reset procedure... tried connecting a DVD, VCR and laptop on various ports and although it seems to detect them, I still don't get a display on my projector.

Any ideas what might be the problem? If this thing is shot after just over a year of extreme light use, it'll be the last Yamaha I ever buy!

Try a short HDMI high speed cable to a TV or monitor. While you checked a second output to the projector, you didn't check the AVR output on a second device. It may be the AVR but that is a way to be sure.

Any, no, it's usually not cost effective to have the system card replaced in an AVR unless it's an AVR that was greater than $1K to $2K.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-12-2011, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

It's definitely not cable related. I unplugged the HDMI cable from the receiver and plugged it in directly into the WD Media player and voila, had a picture on my projector. I tried connecting different devices into the reciever and none would display and image, though I had sound.

The Yamaha HTR-6150 only comes with one HDMI output (and two HDMI input). I did try both HDMI input ports but the problem remained though the receiver seemed to detect the presence of an HDMI component. All this leads me to believe that the problem is related to the HDMI output.

I did not test other non-HDMI output ports on the receiver. My projector is too far away to be used for testing but I will try hooking it up to my TV via the S-Video or Component hookups.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-14-2011, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Whilst 'hot-plugging' is allowed by HDMI.org it's never a great idea, you can fry HDMI chips and or temporarily mess up HDCP and EDID logic.

Power everything off at the wall, connect up a DVD or BD to the AVR then the AVR to the Projector. Now with no disc in the Player power the kit back on - Projector then AVR then Player.

With the relevant Inputs selected do you get an image - if yes now try loading a Disc into the Player!

If no it's time to get the AVR into the service workshop or replaced!!!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page