Best hdmi cable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 170 Old 07-10-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ul.../ref=pd_cp_e_4

Is this the best HDMI cable to buy for HDMI 1.4 capable HD 3D TV?

Or is there something better you guys prefer?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 170 Old 07-10-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Should be good to go.
post #3 of 170 Old 07-10-2011, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

or should I go with http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-...pr_product_top?

I plan on doing 3D, gaming, Blu-Ray, etc on a 2011 120Hz LED TV.

Thank you
post #4 of 170 Old 07-10-2011, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Any certified high speed cable will do.
post #5 of 170 Old 07-11-2011, 05:26 AM

Liked: 19
Audioquest Forest
post #6 of 170 Old 07-11-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninh2o View Post

Thank you

No. Those are an overpriced deceptively-marketed scam. The cables linked in your original post will work just the same at a fraction of the price.
post #7 of 170 Old 07-12-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your suggestions. I went ahead with the original post's option.

The reason why I posted the 2nd amazon link was because it has higher speed (~15GB/s compared to ~10GB/s for the original post). But I went ahead with the cheaper one and will see if PQ has any effect.

This thread can now be closed.

Thank you
post #8 of 170 Old 07-12-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

neither is "faster" than the other... both are high speed certified...

of course, you could have spent 4 dollars at monoprice instead, but to each his own... edit: although for 10 bucks with free shipping, the mediabridge cable is a reasonable buy...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #9 of 170 Old 07-12-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Thank you all for your suggestions. I went ahead with the original post's option.

The reason why I posted the 2nd amazon link was because it has higher speed (~15GB/s compared to ~10GB/s for the original post). But I went ahead with the cheaper one and will see if PQ has any effect.

This thread can now be closed.

Thank you

For anyone who reads this thread in the future, these are digital cables. If the device sending out the digital information is guaranteed to never send out greater than XX GB/s, then buying a cable capable of speeds greater than that doesn't actually buy anything.

What the HDMI Org has done is to set a "High Speed" standard. All current and foreseen HDMI specs will fit within the High Speed bandwidth. Greater than that would like require a new type of HDMI cable. So, in order to make it easier for everyone, the HDMI Org has dictated that the highest speed cables be called "High Speed" and the lesser speed cables be called "Standard Speed".

So, feel comfortable that if your cable says "High Speed" (or Cat 2) you have the right cable for all current (and foreseen) HDMI capabilities. Anything other than "High Speed" on the advertising may just be an attempt to justify a higher price for no actual additional benefit.
post #10 of 170 Old 07-12-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...higher speed (~15GB/s compared to ~10GB/s for the original post)...
Meaningless drivel invented by Monster. Glad you didn't fall for it. The only thing that is relevant is the ATC lab's results. Check the results for Monster cables and you will find they don't certify high speed in any longer lengths than anyone else's. The longest I have seen for Monster passive cable is 25'. And even a lot of cheap 24 AWG cables seem to certify high speed at 25'. If the cable certifies high speed, it is capable of handling any HDMI signal you can throw at it. Besides, at the length you are talking about, just about anything will work.

When you get your cable, if you don't get sparkles or worse, it is giving you exactly the same picture quality as the more expensive Monster cable.
post #11 of 170 Old 07-12-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for further clarification. I feel happy about my purchase. I hope there would be a thread (sticky) which explains what was explained here (unless it already does...then it means I am just too lazy to snoop around before opening a thread)...hehe

thx
post #12 of 170 Old 07-12-2011, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

No sticky, but it has all been covered in numerous threads.
post #13 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 03:16 AM

Quote:

Thank you

Monster cable is not the way to go. I returned the monster 900 cable because it was only average like monoprice.

In the world of hdmi cables, HDMI cables are certified once by the organization. The first production model is tested and if it passes MINIMUM (any standard is a minimum) standards then it is certified. Future testing is the responsbility of the company that sells them. The company does not have to report back to the HDMI testers.

Testing equipment for the Eye Pattern test cost $140,000, for the BER test tens of thousands of dollars. There is also equipment for the cliff effect.

Smaller companies can't afford such equipment so their quality control is questionable.

There is more to an hdmi cable than 1s and 0s. Electric charges are used to push the 1s and 0s and the medium used is the analog copper wiring.

According to tests run by Wire World some of the cheaper cables have 100,000 or more bit errors. The more expensive models have as little as 0 errors per 8 million bits.

It is not all or nothing for hdmi, if you notice sparkles, unbalanced color or lag, it is a sign that there are bit errors.

I am glad that you are happy with your choice. I had to explain a little more about hdmi.
post #14 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 03:27 AM

If anyone is interested in selling hdmi cables you must pay a licensing fee of $10,000 per year and 15 cents per cable. If you have a small hdmi cable company you can pay $5,000 per year and $1 per cable sold. LOL
post #15 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 04:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

it has been explained to you (more than once, i might add), why your "explanations" are incorrect...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #16 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

it has been explained to you (more than once, i might add), why your "explanations" are incorrect...

I have explained to others why their explanations are incorrect. There are differences. Even CNET say they use monoprice cables for their tests because they as good as most (NOT ALL) other cables.

The mantra of all are the same shows me that some people have a lack of knowledge or useage of other cables.

Incidently I own monoprice cables with unecessary Ferrite Cores.

We can go around and around again. I will never be convinced until I am shown test results of a least 50 different brands of cables with the exact same picture and sound quality.

Have you ever seen a BER test machine or an Eye Pattern test machine or Cliff effect reader? Have you ever purchased premium cables and compared them with cheap cables on your equipment? I would say the answer is no because of your instance on sameness.

I always said that if you like and are satisfied with the cable you are using, that is great you need to look no further. I was not satisified.

Another high performer is the Sony 3D HDMI cable sold at Wal Mart.
post #17 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPERSON View Post

The mantra of all are the same shows me that some people have a lack of knowledge or useage of other cables.

No. You have been challenged countless times to provide a scientific, objective reason how your magical unicorn cables work better than others and you deflected at every opportunity. You failed to show any background in electronics or computer science and engineering (unlike many others who know more than you on this issue) which would give credit to your argument and once again failed. You have presented nothing more than the same exact banal HDMI scam marketing propaganda that has been analyzed and disproven more times than anyone here can count.

You are done here, "HDPERSON"
post #18 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yes, that is correct...

@hdperson... no, you haven't "explained" anything at all... you've attempted to use pseudo-science and quotes from cable vendors to prove a point that doesn't exist...

if you had a basic understanding of how this all works, you'd realize what a fool you are making out of yourself...

yet, you refuse to gain that understanding, even though the knowledge has been freely offered to you...

you may not like it, but you are wrong...

trust me... i have well over $25,000 worth of equipment in my room... you REALLY think that i'd sweat over spending a couple hundred bucks on hdmi cables if what you are saying is actually true?

- chris

post #19 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post
No. You have been challenged countless times to provide a scientific, objective reason how your magical unicorn cables work better than others and you deflected at every opportunity. You failed to show any background in electronics or computer science and engineering (unlike many others who know more than you on this issue) which would give credit to your argument and once again failed. You have presented nothing more than the same exact banal HDMI scam marketing propaganda that has been analyzed and disproven more times than anyone here can count.

You are done here, "HDPERSON"
What is your background, have you read reports from What Hi Fi or Stereophile? Have you tried other cables? Do you know how cables are tested by magazines? From your words I would say probably not.

Observation is used by every major testing magazine for HDMI cables. Consumer Reports, What Hi Fi, Stereophile and CNET for example. The reason is, it is your eyes and ears that have to see and hear the difference.

Some companies like Wire World or Monster have Videos or literature that explain the BER, EYE PATTERN or CLIFF EFFECT tests.

You have shown me no proof of your claims. NONE. YOU ARE THE ONE DONE HERE. It is too bad that I have to write that because this is a forum and ideas should be discussed. Evidently you feel threaten by the truth, otherwise you would not have made that last comment.

About 50% of the electronics buyers feel as I do the other 50% believe that there is no difference. I lastly suggest that you buy Audioquest Forest and try it out.
post #20 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post
^^^

yes, that is correct...

@hdperson... no, you haven't "explained" anything at all... you've attempted to use pseudo-science and quotes from cable vendors to prove a point that doesn't exist...

if you had a basic understanding of how this all works, you'd realize what a fool you are making out of yourself...

yet, you refuse to gain that understanding, even though the knowledge has been freely offered to you...

you may not like it, but you are wrong...

I fully understand how this all works. What I am suprised at is, that after spending $25,000 on your equipment, you went with a $5 cable!!!!! Spend about $90 for a better cable (not Monster) and see if it improves your picture or sound. If there is no improvement then return it. I did.

The individuals that I find that make a fool of themselves are those that use words that try to discredit others with nastiness rather than a showing their own proof.

I will follow the experts at the major testing magazines and my and my friends observations as to the difference in quality of the cables.

trust me... i have well over $25,000 worth of equipment in my room... you REALLY think that i'd sweat over spending a couple hundred bucks on hdmi cables if what you are saying is actually true?
All I can say about you last statement is that you fell into the trap that all cables are the same.
post #21 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 11:53 AM

I have shown what major magazines have said, I have told all how HDMI organization tests cables. I have mentioned the machines that test cables and how some companies don't have good quality control (BER). My proof is all out there to see by spending a little money or going on the internet.

All I get back is put downs by those who are threaten because they have been told that all HDMI cables are the same and just repeat the lie.

I have not seen any tests by the individuals that back up their claims to sameness. Just words.

This was a thread that was started by someone asking an opinion as to which is the best HDMI cable. He found what he was looking for. That should have ended it, until some individuals started the nonsense that all cables are the same. When I saw the unecessary reponses, I had to state my experience.

I still can't believe spending $25,000 and $5 on cables. How about $1,000 on cables to at least match the other equipment. Absolutely unbelieveable.

The discussion is going nowhere, just around and around. You can't convince me and I can't can convince you. Thanks to all those sending me private messages because you were afraid of being attacked by the "ALL THE SAME CROWD". A forum should not be for attacks but discussion. Let the discussion end here.
post #22 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I've used other cables, cheap ones from Monoprice and Radio Shack as well as ridiculously overpriced ones like the Monster Ultra Series 1000.

All are the same, they are transferring data. Nothing in the operation of the cable can effect this unless there is LOSS, which results in missing picture.

This is scientific fact that your own biased fanboy subjective experience cannot contradict. You've once again offered nothing but propaganda. I have asked you countless times to provide a scientific basis for this claim, you cannot provide one. Not even a link to one.
post #23 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Also of note is the fact that the cables linked in the original post are $60 cables marked down to $10, further proving that so-called premium cables that the suckers end up buying are the same thing just marked up higher since retailers know they can con people into buying them for that price once they drop a couple of grand on other equipment.
post #24 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Buyer beware: Audioquest guilty of the same dishonest marketing scheme as Monster.

http://hdguru.com/hdmi-cable-makers-...upgrades/2175/
post #25 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I have shown what major magazines have said, I have told all how HDMI organization tests cables. I have mentioned the machines that test cables and how some companies don't have good quality control (BER). My proof is all out there to see by spending a little money or going on the internet.

All I get back is put downs by those who are threaten because they have been told that all HDMI cables are the same and just repeat the lie.

I have not seen any tests by the individuals that back up their claims to sameness. Just words.

This was a thread that was started by someone asking an opinion as to which is the best HDMI cable. He found what he was looking for. That should have ended it, until some individuals started the nonsense that all cables are the same. When I saw the unecessary reponses, I had to state my experience.

I still can't believe spending $25,000 and $5 on cables. How about $1,000 on cables to at least match the other equipment. Absolutely unbelieveable.

The discussion is going nowhere, just around and around. You can't convince me and I can't can convince you. Thanks to all those sending me private messages because you were afraid of being attacked by the "ALL THE SAME CROWD". A forum should not be for attacks but discussion. Let the discussion end here.

Please stop. You don't even own expensive equipment - I've checked your other appends and found you own Panasonic Blu-Ray players and a Costco purchased Visio HDTV. So, unless you're hiding some actual high end equipment, you're out of your league (and way out of your knowledge base).

From what I can tell you don't even realize that we have explained why what you are saying is nonsensical. So, explaining anything further would be just repeating the same mistake of attempting to treat you like a knowledgible person. I chuckle at the thought of you trying to teach law or accounting.

For the rest of us - let's treat HDPERSON like he does not exist. Don't reply, don't respond. Once he doesn't get any responses, he'll go away. In other words, get one more response in, then don't feed the troll anymore.

Finally, to answer some of your questions that actually have substance,

'Have you ever seen a BER test machine or an Eye Pattern test machine or Cliff effect reader?' Yes, these are commonly called data scopes. I have one at my dispossal and have used it for 1394 testing for spaceflight.

'The first production model is tested and if it passes MINIMUM' - No, for high speed certification, the test actually is for the maximum bitrate that will ever be seen by a high speed cable, not the minimum (using minimum values would make no sense, would it?). All HDMI equipment currently in use, uses less than the maximum bandwidth certified for high speed. You really could use an engineering degree. And, those are my final words to HDPERSON, who no longer exists as far as I'm concerned.
post #26 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

According to tests run by Wire World some of the cheaper cables have 100,000 or more bit errors. The more expensive models have as little as 0 errors per 8 million bits.

My personal tolerance is 120,000 bits. Anything below that I don't notice. I thanks God everyday for my imperfection, otherwise entertaintment would cost me alot more$$$.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #27 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

well, if you really understood what you are talking about, you'd realize that spending "$1000 to match the equipment" is completely pointless...

you are wrong... plain and simple... quoting wishful thinking from hi-fi mags isn't going to change that...

it's been explained to you... if you are struggling to understand it, then ask questions... insisting that you are right, however, is unlikely to make you look anything but more foolish...

as an aside... i'd suggest spending less money on cables and more on other things that actually matter... you aren't exactly speaking from a position of authority...

- chris

post #28 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...if you notice sparkles...it is a sign that there are bit errors.

True. But not true for unbalanced color or lag. Because of the way video is encoded, bit errors do not cause subtle shifts in color, but pixels that are just plain wrong. Also not true for lag. I guess in a system that had error correction there could be some, but there is no error correction for the video data in HDMI.
post #29 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All I can say about you last statement is that you fell into the trap that all cables are the same.

I don't think anyone here thinks that all cables are the same. Many would tell you that the BJC Series 1 is one of the best. Others have other favorites. It is just that the differences don't result in things like changes in sharpness, hue, saturation, or any of the other measures by which we traditionally judge picture quality, just how far a given signal can be carrier before it results in loss of data, which initially shows up as sparkles.
post #30 of 170 Old 07-13-2011, 04:45 PM

It has come to my attention that Monoprice and Blue Jeans cables are sponsors of this forum. This explains a lot.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page