HDMI Causing My HTPC To Reboot? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I moved into a new house recently and decided that I wanted all of the cables to be in-wall. I have a three part HDMI connection from the HTPC to my TV using wall plate connectors. A cable is going from the HTPC to the wall, the cable through the wall, and then from the wall to the TV. Anyway, my HTPC would periodically reboot with a BSOD when switching on the TV and I could not figure out what was causing it, since I hadn't made any changes to the system. I ended up swapping out the cable from the wall to the TV, since I didn't need a 6' cable back there and lo and behold, I haven't had a spontaneous reboot for weeks. Obviously the cable was the issue, but why would the computer freak out when it is sending a video signal and not receiving one?

Edit: Oh, forgot about the HTPC->Receiver link as well. Make that a four-part connection from HTPC to TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 64
It may be sending Video signal's but it's also receiving EDID - which is likely being corrupted through your three part connection!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Old 08-12-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So you're suggesting eliminating the wall plates and just pulling the wall cable out to connect directly between the receiver and the TV? That would be a shame, because the wall plates make everything loom very neat.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Just noticed you have an AVR in the signal path - that makes it more complex eliminating the problem.

How badly do you want to re-install the longer HTPC > Wallplate cable - it's going to take a fair bit of messing around to eliminate the problem?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc