Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 64 Old 03-24-2012, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post

I am pretty sure the problem is in the bluray player. I updated the firmware last night (i keep all my firmwares updated) and it stopped working with the wall plates. I switched cables again and cycled power on everything and it all started working again. Very annoying. It has prompted me to send it all back and try a different setup. Also, when running a direct 25' cable I never had any issues with the bluray player.

What I meant by "misinformation" is if you are getting a picture then you are getting a perfect picture, but in reality you can pass hdcp and still have bit drop out. Reputable dealers are the best way to avoid problems. I stick with monoprice, or amazon basics.

I think I understand your misconception. You don't "pass" HDCP and then go on watching video without HDCP. HDCP is with you with every transmission, at least video and audio transmission. Each bit of that data is encoded. You do pass keys but the keys are also reset regularly.

So, if you get drop-outs that is a clear sign of a bit error, which includes HDCP encoded video data. What we usually tell people is to watch for 5-10 minutes. If you see no sparkles or lines or black screens or screens of a single color, then you're good with that source and that sink.

The advantage of a certified high speed cable, is you shouldn't have to worry about any of this. A reputable dealer will be able to provide the certification for the high speed cable.

BTW, I have known a few wall plates to cause problems with high speed signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 Old 03-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Andy-

Thanks for the info. I did not realize every audio/video transmission was encoded. I thought it was a handsake, then rolling checks. Thinking about it it makes more sense to encode and use a key to decode.
post #63 of 64 Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Well I replaced the wall plates with 15' highspeed hdmi cables and keystones. Everything worked great even with the 3' hdmi cables from blu ray to keystone. I think the 4' issue is a problem with the wall plates and their expected signal strength.

I'm glad I switched to hdmi cables. No more sparkles and Viera link works. They were harder to run and I needed to replace my smurf tube with larger diameter to fit the cables (monoprice sure likes huge connectors!)
post #64 of 64 Old 04-02-2012, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post

Well I replaced the wall plates with 15' highspeed hdmi cables and keystones. Everything worked great even with the 3' hdmi cables from blu ray to keystone. I think the 4' issue is a problem with the wall plates and their expected signal strength.

I'm glad I switched to hdmi cables. No more sparkles and Viera link works. They were harder to run and I needed to replace my smurf tube with larger diameter to fit the cables (monoprice sure likes huge connectors!)

Yes, that's the HDMI headache for installers - you have to run the connector through the wall.

BTW, it isn't actually signal strength but the more complex problem of bit noise. Adding more power to a noisy HDMI signal has a good chance of just making things worse.

Very glad to hear you got everything working!
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page