Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-21-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's what I have:
Panasonic TV with 2 HDMI inputs. HDMI devices: 2 HDD DVDRs, Roku 2 XS, LG Bluray player. 2nd TV is composite video only.

When experimenting wth adding a HDMI switch I discovered the Roku 2 XS will not output both HDMI and composite video at same time. When the HDMI is connected to TV, the analog audio is there but no composite video. Called Roku support and they told me not to use a HDMI switch as it doesn't work with Roku. The user manual states that it will work with a HDMI capable receiver, so isn't that just a switch that is integrated into the receiver? Guess they don't want to support all the HDMI switches out there.

I had an old 2x1 HDMI passive mechanical switch lying around and tried that with the Roku. It worked but I had to push buttons a couple of times to get rid of green screen and get normal picture. And when the switch is set to the other input the Roku's composite get turned on. I can live without the simultaneous output of HDMI and composite but I don't want to have to remove HDMI cable every time I want to use the extension TV with composite.

So will one of the active type HDMI switches (powered type) like those from Monoprice work so that if used with the Roku and the switch is set to another input, cause the Roku to sense no HDMI and output composite? Or do the active switches work like my Panasonic TV and keep an active HDMI connection with both of the HDMI inputs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-21-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker View Post

....... So will one of the active type HDMI switches (powered type) like those from Monoprice work so that if used with the Roku and the switch is set to another input, cause the Roku to sense no HDMI and output composite? Or do the active switches work like my Panasonic TV and keep an active HDMI connection with both of the HDMI inputs?

The active type of HDMI switches go from one input to multiple outputs so they always have the input active as long as power is applied to the switch. Removing the power to the switch, however, may cause the Roku to think it has no HDMI connection. You'd have to try it to be sure, but Monoprice has a good return policy.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #3 of 6 Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Carl, I didn't try the Monoprice switch since I'm also thinking it wouldn't drop the HDMI connection when port is not selected.

In case anyone wants to know my solution I found a cheap 5x1 switch on Amazon and it works the way I wanted. When the input port for the Roku 2 is not selected on the switch, it breaks the HDMI connection and the Roku 2 outputs composite video.

These little imported switches are available on Amazon (ASIN: B00264NZWS), eBay, et al, for about $18. Very versatile too, can work automatically, with supplied IR remote, and comes with a power supply but works without it.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 PM

I have just bought a new Roku box and it is not the least expensive but one up from that. Our house is fairly long about 55 feet and the signal needs to down stairs another 8 feet . So the computer works with a D link and a little signal booster for the computer, but the Roku says the internet signal is to week to contnet. Roku says to by a switch. I am not sure what kinid, and how to use it. Upstairs we get Roku with HMD1. In you article you say use HDM2. It shows up on HDM1 as not strong enough but nothing shows up on HDM2.

I would appreciate any help-details for someone not totally cognizent of aall the new electronic names, and connections.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM

Liked: 87
Where to start? OK, first welcome to the forum. This is your first append. You'll notice in the upper left hand corner of each message in this thread there is a date. That date is the day that the original message was appended. You'll see that the last time someone wrote something here, prior to you, is 1 year and 4 months ago. Carl wrote some good responses but I haven't heard from Carl in a while. However, you get points for actually checking the archives before appending. That's great!

I think you are confusing HDMI and ethernet. A D-Link switch and signal booster are likely for Ethernet cables and not HDMI. HDMI (not HDM1) is used for video and audio transmissions between the Roku and the TV. Is your TV a long distance from the Roku? If not Roku was suggesting that you purchase an Ethernet switch or router, which has nothing to do with HDMI. You might try looking at some place like Fry's Electronics for that type of switch or router.

If you have a problem connecting the Roku to your TV using an HDMI cable, then you would have been in the right place.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 PM

The Roku and TV are just about in the same space. The problem is with the signal from the internet which is about 30ft plus down the stairs and another 24 ft. So it is weak. I have about decided to get a D-Linki DIR-826 Cloud Router 2000, which they assure me will solve the problem of getting a strong signal.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page