Most economical way to split an HDMI signal to HDMI and Toslink - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if it's even possible, but if it is, what will I need to split an HDMI output signal from my receiver to my TV along with an optical out connection.

Here is my setup currently:

1. All of my HDMI devices are plugged into my receiver which has a single output.
2. The HDMI output goes to a splitter which than splits the signal to my Plasma, and my computer monitor.

Now this is in my bedroom, and I plan to get a an Astro MixAmp Pro, which effectively takes a toslink connection and converts it to a DD 5.1 signal for your headphones. Only problem is, my receiver and pretty much every receiver I've looked at doesn't have an optical out. Now I can use RCA's as well, but I would imagine that Dolby Pro Logic II will not sound nearly as good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam83 View Post

Not sure if it's even possible, but if it is, what will I need to split an HDMI output signal from my receiver to my TV along with an optical out connection.

Here is my setup currently:

1. All of my HDMI devices are plugged into my receiver which has a single output.
2. The HDMI output goes to a splitter which than splits the signal to my Plasma, and my computer monitor.

Now this is in my bedroom, and I plan to get a an Astro MixAmp Pro, which effectively takes a toslink connection and converts it to a DD 5.1 signal for your headphones. Only problem is, my receiver and pretty much every receiver I've looked at doesn't have an optical out. Now I can use RCA's as well, but I would imagine that Dolby Pro Logic II will not sound nearly as good?

I'll have to look up some components but let me answer your last question now.

If all you're worred about is Dolby Pro Logic (any variety), you need not have a digital audio connection. Dolby Pro Logic encodes a mono surround channel and a center channel into the pre-existing stereo output. Therefore, any left/right output, including analog RCA, can carry the Pro Logic signal and it should be the same as a digital output.

Now, if you meant Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1-channel or DTS 5.1-channel, those both would require a digital output, which I'll see if I can find. Most receiver manufacturers are hesitant to output any digital signal derived from the HDMI signal. Usually the source equipment sends out a separate toslink output in addition to the HDMI.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-28-2011, 03:20 PM

Is this what you are looking for? (4 HDMI in, 1 Toslink out):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...#specification

Really what you could do is use a splitter output to send to this box and then send this box'es output to the TV. So you would be just using 1 HDMI input and 1 HDMI output along with the 1 Toslink output. There is no way I can tell you that this setup would work without trying it first. Also keep in mind the HDMI version of this device is 1.3b (so no 3D).
post #4 of 11 Old 09-29-2011, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
If you getting Sound and Vision on your TV it's likely that you are listening to 2.0 Stereo' all the way through your signal chain!

Unless your TV has the ability to accept and decode 5.1 DD/DTS via HDMI your AVR has to be Outputting Video + 2.0 LPCM via HDMI which in turn usually means that your Source devices are Outputting Video + 2.0 LPCM via HDMI!!!

What Source devices are you using and what model of AVR, TV and Projector?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old 10-02-2011, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got either the Monoprice box Andy linked or maybe a 2 input one that works fine (not in use at the moment, I bought it with intent and haven't gotten around to wiring up the bedroom yet, but did test it) and previously a similar no name one from Ebay (that I lent to a friend and then found easier to replace than get back). Both represent an EDID to upstream devices consisting of whatever your downstream devices support for video, and LPCM 2ch stereo / DD / DTS (i.e. digital audio in the SPDIF compatible varieties). I have an old SPDIF capable (and even 7.1 analog, but no HDMI) receiver I will use in the bedroom, so this works well.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-13-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What did you end up doing?

I want to get some Astro headphones and use them for games & tv. The best way I can think is to output audio on my AVR to the TV and in between rip out an optical signal for the Toslink.

------------------------------------
post #7 of 11 Old 08-13-2012, 04:30 PM

I read through the A40 specs. It looks like the headphones just take a two channel input and then convert to pseudo-surround.

So, that brings up the question of why don't you use one of your AVR analog outputs to go to the headphones?
post #8 of 11 Old 08-13-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not looking at the A40's.

I'm looking at the A50's:

or the Triton Warhead 7.1

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/03/madcatz-tritton-warhead-7-1-wireless-surround-sound-headset-for-xbox-360-review/

... And yes I know that optical can only carry 5.1. That is fine with me. Just want to use the same headset for TV, Movies, and Games.

------------------------------------
post #9 of 11 Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 PM

OK, it's simulated surround (only two speakers) but you didn't ask about that.

In order to get 5.1-channel surround into the headphones, you have to do two things with HDMI. The first is that you have to tell the HDMI output that you have a 5.1/7.1 receiver. Plugging HDMI into an AVR should do that. Plugging HDMI into a TV without an AVR would just output stereo.

The second thing is what this thread is about - splitting a S/PDIF signal out of the HDMI. Unfortunately there isn't too much demand for that capability, but it's actually cheap (<$50) by HDMI standards. You can try the boxes listed above. I don't know of any cheaper alternatives to the Monoprice box at this time.

The other thing you might try is to see if your AVR's S/PDIF outputs work with an HDMI input. Some receivers did this but didn't advertise the capability.

Those are pretty much your only choices for methods to send the signal to those headsets. The headphones seem more designed for using the S/PDIF outputs from a PC motherboard. It makes it much tougher if your source doesn't have a separate S/PDIF (including Toslink) output in addition to HDMI.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-23-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Our HDMI to HDMI + Optical ‘converter’ has on-board EDID so you can ‘force’ sources which are capable of outputting 5.1 via HDMI into the ‘correct’ mode to allow you to see 5.1 on the Optical Output!

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI-Audio-Converter-EDID-Manager.html

Do any of the indicated Headphones actually accept a DD/DTS 5.1 signal or are they all 2.0 Input with on-board DSP?

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 11 Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread had me thinking back to an article in Widescreen Review a few years back about ‘head tracking’ technology for surround headphones – looks like you need a set of these smile.gif

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/gaming/headzone-headphone-surround-system.html

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/television/dt-880-ht.html

Joe

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page