Yamaha, HDMI and HTPC = Help Please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 10-20-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I recently purchased a Yamaha RX V871 to be the main hub of my HT. Prior to this I connected my HP dv7-1245dx laptop to my HDTV using HDMI. From laptop pc to HDTV I was getting both audio and video signals and was able to watch and listen to anything from my laptop pc on my HDTV.

Once I purchased the Yamaha, I connected the same laptop pc to the Yamaha with HDMI and then the Yamaha to the HDTV using HDMI. With this setup the receiver does not seem to be getting any audio signal. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how to troubleshoot this? I called Yamaha and they said they can't help me. I would rather not use the headphone jack to get sound as this defeats the purpose of 5.1.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-20-2011, 03:29 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicamp View Post

Hi,

I recently purchased a Yamaha RX V871 to be the main hub of my HT. Prior to this I connected my HP dv7-1245dx laptop to my HDTV using HDMI. From laptop pc to HDTV I was getting both audio and video signals and was able to watch and listen to anything from my laptop pc on my HDTV.

Once I purchased the Yamaha, I connected the same laptop pc to the Yamaha with HDMI and then the Yamaha to the HDTV using HDMI. With this setup the receiver does not seem to be getting any audio signal. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how to troubleshoot this? I called Yamaha and they said they can't help me. I would rather not use the headphone jack to get sound as this defeats the purpose of 5.1.

Thanks

You implied this in your question, but I want to make sure - Is the video OK over HDMI?

Also are you sending 2-channel audio from the laptop to the Yamaha or is it AC3 (DD), DTS or one of the newer codecs? Or, do all varieties (2-channel, AC3, DTS, DTS-MA, etc) of sound not work?
post #3 of 24 Old 10-20-2011, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

You implied this in your question, but I want to make sure - Is the video OK over HDMI?

Also are you sending 2-channel audio from the laptop to the Yamaha or is it AC3 (DD), DTS or one of the newer codecs? Or, do all varieties (2-channel, AC3, DTS, DTS-MA, etc) of sound not work?

Yes, the video is ok over HDMI.

As far as the audio, I cannot hear movies using vlc (either stereo or 5.1, basically all varities do not work), however video is playing great. And, if I go onto youtube, I cannot hear the audio, but I can see the video. Also, when I stream music from vtuner I do not get any sound through the tuner.
post #4 of 24 Old 10-20-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
BUT you mentioned that you are using the headphone jack to listen to things... is that on the yamaha, the TV OR your htpc?????
post #5 of 24 Old 10-20-2011, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

BUT you mentioned that you are using the headphone jack to listen to things... is that on the yamaha, the TV OR your htpc?????

Due to the HDMI not providing the audio, I have connected a cord from the pc headphone jack to run audio from the pc to the reciever. However, this defeats the purpose of the receiver as I cannot get 5.1.

This is also not the issue, the issue is why am I not getting the HDMI cable to send both audio and video to the receiver. Using HDMI will allow for one connection, digital video, digital audio and 5.1 and surround sound.
post #6 of 24 Old 10-20-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Due to the HDMI not providing the audio, I have connected a cord from the pc headphone jack to run audio from the pc to the reciever. However, this defeats the purpose of the receiver as I cannot get 5.1.

This is also not the issue, the issue is why am I not getting the HDMI cable to send both audio and video to the receiver. Using HDMI will allow for one connection, digital video, digital audio and 5.1 and surround sound.

OK, let's talk about this. First, I can't give you a definite answer but I have some ideas,

1) Your receiver is one of the few that have an audio return channel capability. Is it possible that you have enabled this feature in the AVR?

2) Drivers - Is it possible that Windows is recognizing the AVR as a new configuration and turning off the HDMI audio or not selecting it as the primary audio for the computer?

3) I can't see how this is an HDMI cable problem since you have good video, so I think we're safe to rule out the cables.

4) And one more question...Have you tried another component using HDMI into the AVR to see if the same thing happens? That would eliminate the computer if the same thing happens or point towards the computer if you get audio with a different component.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-21-2011, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
First thing to try is a full reboot - power the Display, AVR and Laptop Off at the wall (full power Off for the Laptop).

Disconnect any other HDMI kit from the AVR for now.

Now reboot - start with the Display and work back to the Laptop.

If you still have no audio have a look in the Laptop audio setup - the AVR may be passing EDID to the Laptop that the Laptop is misinterpreting?

Also ensure the AVR is looking at the HDMI audio when you select the Laptop - it may be looking elsewhere (Optical).

Do you have another HDMI enabled Laptop or PC you can try out!

An EDID grabber sitting between the Laptop and the AVR would likely resolve this if none of the Laptop or AVR settings can be adjusted - though that's going to cost you around 100 USD!!!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 24 Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OK, let's talk about this. First, I can't give you a definite answer but I have some ideas,

1) Your receiver is one of the few that have an audio return channel capability. Is it possible that you have enabled this feature in the AVR?

2) Drivers - Is it possible that Windows is recognizing the AVR as a new configuration and turning off the HDMI audio or not selecting it as the primary audio for the computer?

3) I can't see how this is an HDMI cable problem since you have good video, so I think we're safe to rule out the cables.

4) And one more question...Have you tried another component using HDMI into the AVR to see if the same thing happens? That would eliminate the computer if the same thing happens or point towards the computer if you get audio with a different component.

1) Yes the receiver is arc capable, I have tried it both on and off. Also my pc is using HDMI1 input to Yamaha and the Yamaha is using HDMI1 output to HDTV. I don't see how arc could create this issue as it seems that the reciever is not getting an audio signal from the pc, only video. And as I mentioned when I connect the pc directly to the HDTV using HDMI I get both audio and video.

2) I am using the most current drivers for my system. Do you know of one that would work with IDT that may be better than what is recommended?

3) I agree and just to be on the safe side I did try different, brand new cables.

4) I have not tried this as I do not have any other components. All of my entertainment comes directly from my pc. No cable box, satellite, blu ray, dvd; I am a true "cord cutter." This is all the more reason why I want to hook my pc up to the receiver using HDMI
post #9 of 24 Old 10-21-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

First thing to try is a full reboot – power the Display, AVR and Laptop Off at the wall (full power Off for the Laptop).

Disconnect any other HDMI kit from the AVR for now.

Now reboot – start with the Display and work back to the Laptop.

If you still have no audio have a look in the Laptop audio setup - the AVR may be passing EDID to the Laptop that the Laptop is misinterpreting?

Also ensure the AVR is looking at the HDMI audio when you select the Laptop – it may be looking elsewhere (Optical).

Do you have another HDMI enabled Laptop or PC you can try out!

An EDID grabber sitting between the Laptop and the AVR would likely resolve this if none of the Laptop or AVR settings can be adjusted – though that’s going to cost you around 100 USD!!!

Joe

Hi Joe,

I have tried several reboot sequences including the one that you suggested, all to no avail.

You do bring up something interesting that I have not yet tried. Where would I find if the avr is passing an EDID to the laptop? My laptop is running Windows Vista.

The Yamaha is looking for the correct audio signal.

I do not have another computer that has HDMI.

Also, you mention an EDID grabber, what is that exactly and is it similar to an HDMI switcher? Would an HDMI switcher work? And where could I get one locally? I would rather not order one online because in the event it doesn't work, then I have the hassle of returning it or eating the cost.

I also just looked up something that sounds similar here http://www.sevenforums.com/media-cen...-tv-issue.html . Have you heard of moninfo?

thanks
post #10 of 24 Old 10-21-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:

1) Yes the receiver is arc capable, I have tried it both on and off. Also my pc is using HDMI1 input to Yamaha and the Yamaha is using HDMI1 output to HDTV. I don't see how arc could create this issue as it seems that the reciever is not getting an audio signal from the pc, only video. And as I mentioned when I connect the pc directly to the HDTV using HDMI I get both audio and video.

2) I am using the most current drivers for my system. Do you know of one that would work with IDT that may be better than what is recommended?

3) I agree and just to be on the safe side I did try different, brand new cables.

4) I have not tried this as I do not have any other components. All of my entertainment comes directly from my pc. No cable box, satellite, blu ray, dvd; I am a true "cord cutter." This is all the more reason why I want to hook my pc up to the receiver using HDMI

I think you may have misunderstood some of what I was explaining.

The ARC just means the audio from the TV will be used instead of the audio from the input device. What I was suggesting was that you make sure the ARC is disabled. In fact, disabling every HDMI *option* (not HDMI itself, of course) is probably a good idea (including CEC) until this problem is solved.

The comment about the driver was that not only do you have to have the right driver but it must be enabled as the primary audio in many cases. To do so, go into your "Sounds and Audio" panel (under Control Panel) and make sure HDMI is still selected after you go from a TV connection to an AVR connection. When you are connected to the TV directly, look at this to see how it is configured and then compare against when connected to the AVR - they should be the same. If not, that is a spot to look at. Check device manager, too.

The comment about trying another HDMI component was not for a permanent configuration but more for a temporary test configuration. Can you borrow a small HDMI component from a friend? It really would make things easier.

Finally, as Joe said check to make sure you are set for Auto for the audio select on the AVR. You can tell the AVR to use analog audio for an input rather than HDMI, for instance. Auto should select the highest quality input that is attached and that would only affect the audio signal.

EDID is always transferred as part of the HDMI protocol. It tells the source component what the sink device is capable of handling. An EDID grabber would simply show you that part of the HDMI stream and (hopefully) translate from bits to English.
post #11 of 24 Old 10-21-2011, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Run Monitor Asset Manager by EnTechtaiwan.com - that will let you know what the AVR is reporting to the Laptop.

You can connect a Gefen HDMI Detective+ to your Display and 'learn' the Display's EDID then connect the Detective+ between the PC and AVR - you ought then to at least get Video + Stereo audio via HDMI!

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 24 Old 10-26-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

HI Joe and Andy,

Thank you both for the help, but I have some more news for the both of you on this front.

Before trying the new set of suggestions from you, something really wasn't making any sense to me and wanted to truly see if it was my computer or the receiver.

As I mentioned, I called Yamaha and they said they can't help me and basically told me that I wasn't hooking it up correctly or that settings are incorrect on my computer. After these conversations, I went to a high end A/V store here in NY, with my computer. I spoke to several salesmen and we hooked my laptop, via HDMI, to several receiver brands (Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony) and models including the Yamaha RX V871. Lo and behold all the other receiver brands were getting both the audio and video signal. So there seems to be an issue with Yamaha as Yamaha receivers were the only ones not getting a signal from my laptop.

As I mentioned, I did not try your new suggestions on 10/21. However, with this new information, are your suggestions the same or do you have any other ideas?

Thanks again.
Jeff
post #13 of 24 Old 10-26-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:

HI Joe and Andy,

Thank you both for the help, but I have some more news for the both of you on this front.

Before trying the new set of suggestions from you, something really wasn't making any sense to me and wanted to truly see if it was my computer or the receiver.

As I mentioned, I called Yamaha and they said they can't help me and basically told me that I wasn't hooking it up correctly or that settings are incorrect on my computer. After these conversations, I went to a high end A/V store here in NY, with my computer. I spoke to several salesmen and we hooked my laptop, via HDMI, to several receiver brands (Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony) and models including the Yamaha RX V871. Lo and behold all the other receiver brands were getting both the audio and video signal. So there seems to be an issue with Yamaha as Yamaha receivers were the only ones not getting a signal from my laptop.

As I mentioned, I did not try your new suggestions on 10/21. However, with this new information, are your suggestions the same or do you have any other ideas?

Thanks again.
Jeff

No, that does change things. Is there any chance that the audio format coming from the laptop cannot be decoded by the V871 but can be decoded by your TV? I'm thinking of maybe a form of MPEG2 audio or maybe a higher-than normal Dolby Digital bitrate.

Can you try a different source file and different type of audio signals - PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, etc...
post #14 of 24 Old 10-27-2011, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

What does the AVR Report when you use the Information' Screen to confirm what Audio and Video is present on the HDMI Input?

Have you ensured you are running the latest Firmware on the AVR?

Joe

post #15 of 24 Old 10-28-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, that does change things. Is there any chance that the audio format coming from the laptop cannot be decoded by the V871 but can be decoded by your TV? I'm thinking of maybe a form of MPEG2 audio or maybe a higher-than normal Dolby Digital bitrate.

Can you try a different source file and different type of audio signals - PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, etc...

I have tried all sorts of different files and programs to run them. I am not even able to hear a youtube video.
post #16 of 24 Old 10-28-2011, 11:57 AM

Then the only other suggestion that I have is this firmware update:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/de...804&1319828067

It was released in August. If that doesn't work, then I'm out of suggestions other than to take the Yamaha back and get one of those brands that actually worked. If it were me, I'd make sure the Yamaha big-wigs knew why they lost a sale, if it comes to that.
post #17 of 24 Old 10-28-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

What does the AVR Report when you use the Information' Screen to confirm what Audio and Video is present on the HDMI Input?

Have you ensured you are running the latest Firmware on the AVR?

Joe

Hi Joe

The AVR is reporting HDMI1 for both audio and video. I just updated the firmware to the newest version and again no sound.
post #18 of 24 Old 10-28-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Then the only other suggestion that I have is this firmware update:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/de...804&1319828067

It was released in August. If that doesn't work, then I'm out of suggestions other than to take the Yamaha back and get one of those brands that actually worked. If it were me, I'd make sure the Yamaha big-wigs knew why they lost a sale, if it comes to that.

Andy,

Thanks again for your help, I just tried updating the firmware and trying out all the different start sequences. Again nothing. And again I called Yamaha and they gave me this song and dance how they are the only manufacturer that maintains strict follow through with HDMI and HDCP procedure. I also told the rep on the phone that it doesn't make sense for me to keep this unit if it can't handle my laptop. Once I stated this it seemed like it didn't matter to him whether I kept it or returned it. That being said, I think you are right, the big-wigs should know why I am returning an $800 receiver. They also claim that all laptops work 100% correctly with their receivers.

Again, thanks, I am going to tinker with it for another few days or so but if I can't get it working then it will most probably be an Onkyo.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-28-2011, 12:39 PM

What makes me think it is the receiver was that the same model Yamaha at the A/V store had the same problem and all of the other receivers worked. The tier 1 folks on the helplines only know what is on the computer screen in front of them. I've found many haven't even actually touched the product they are trying to help you with.

Check the Internet for the name of the U.S. Yamaha president, then email, write a letter or phone. Be very polite and explain your problem completely. It gets results quickly I've found.

Good luck and sorry you've had this much trouble.

BTW, the counter-argument to Yamaha saying that they strictly follow HDMI/HDCP is that it doesn't matter - your receiver doesn't work and the rest do. So, what does it matter to me (the consumer) if your receiver strickly follows protocols but doesn't work?
post #20 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Here is an update...

I sent the appropriate people at Yamaha an email to no avail of course. Then I returned the Yamaha AVR and purchased the Pioneer VSX 1021. Upon setting up all the cables, the same way I did previously, everything worked flawlessly. So to summarize, there was no issue with my computer, OS, TV, HDMI or any other cables or settings; it was simply an issue with Yamaha.

Thank you to everyone for all of your help.
post #21 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Interesting story. I actually read thru the entire thread to see what happened. I too have a Yamaha receiver but I don't use my laptop connected to it. I go the direct route to the tv with no issues when we choose to do so (mini-HDMI to HDMI) like you did. I'm really happy with my Yamaha AVR but it's good to know that there may be an issue if I choose to go laptop to AVR to tv. I'm glad you got this worked out.
post #22 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Here is an update...

I sent the appropriate people at Yamaha an email to no avail of course. Then I returned the Yamaha AVR and purchased the Pioneer VSX 1021. Upon setting up all the cables, the same way I did previously, everything worked flawlessly. So to summarize, there was no issue with my computer, OS, TV, HDMI or any other cables or settings; it was simply an issue with Yamaha.

Thank you to everyone for all of your help.

Thanks for the follow-up and glad it worked out in the end (despite the hassle). Hope other people who are considering the Yamaha for a setup similar to yours will see your append.

And, to be fair to Yamaha, this could be unique to the chipset in RX-V871. It is really hard to tell without trying all of the other current Yamahas. And, it is again a reminder why some people (myself included) find HDMI to be as non-user friendly as any consumer interface.
post #23 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I have a new RX-V871 hooked up to my HTPC using HDMI with Intel i5 iGPU for graphics. It works for video and all forms of audio (regular and HD).

Not sure why your laptop didn't work.

post #24 of 24 Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 AM

I sounds like it is in the Laptop.
I took me days for my HTPC to get it to work. I found a setting in the bios that enabled audio output over HDMI and than there was another setting in the audio driver.
If your earphone plug works, your audio card is most likley thinking it needs to send it to this port.
I had it working before also on my RX-V2700 but somehow the RX-V871 made my HTPC reconsider.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page