Recommendation for old setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have an older mixed setup that I'm planning on adding a 1080p projector. Receiver does not have any hdmi input or outputs.

Current state, basically 3 inputs to LCD and 2 inputs to receiver
- cable, hdmi > 720p LCD, optical > receiver
- apple tv, hdmi > 720p LCD, optical > receiver
- DVD, component > 720p LCD
- DVD, optical > receiver

Future state, add blue ray player, 1080p projector
- cable, hdmi > switch?
- apple tv, hdmi > switch?
- Blueray, hdmi > switch?
- Switch > receiver
- switch > 720p LCD
- switch > 1080p projector

Is this possible to do without losing the 1080p signal and without having to buy a new receiver with lots of hdmi inputs or an expensive switch?

I'm new to this and would appeciate any direction.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-23-2011, 12:18 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post

So I have an older mixed setup that I'm planning on adding a 1080p projector. Receiver does not have any hdmi input or outputs.

Current state, basically 3 inputs to LCD and 2 inputs to receiver
- cable, hdmi > 720p LCD, optical > receiver
- apple tv, hdmi > 720p LCD, optical > receiver
- DVD, component > 720p LCD
- DVD, optical > receiver

Future state, add blue ray player, 1080p projector
- cable, hdmi > switch?
- apple tv, hdmi > switch?
- Blueray, hdmi > switch?
- Switch > receiver
- switch > 720p LCD
- switch > 1080p projector

Is this possible to do without losing the 1080p signal and without having to buy a new receiver with lots of hdmi inputs or an expensive switch?

I'm new to this and would appeciate any direction.

Thanks!

Sure. Looks for a good HDMI matrix switcher for the video side and use the receiver for audio (and component video). Only use HDMI when you have to. And, then use a universal remote so you only have to press one button to change both the HDMI switcher, the receiver input and the projector input (if needed).

Short of that or a new receiver, I'm afraid you are out of luck. You are also going to have problems with the same HDMI output going to a 720p TV and a 1080p projector, unless the 720p TV could also handle 1080p inputs over HDMI.

Changing this around a little, how about if you sent your current setup exactly the same way you are doing today but send component outputs to a component switcher and then to the TV/projector . Then take an OPPO BDP-93 Blu-Ray player with two independent HDMI ports and separate 7.1-channel audio output and use the separate HDMI outputs for the TV and projector. Then use RCA plugs for the analog audio inputs on your receiver. That will require only a new component video switcher and the OPPO blu-ray player. A universal remote would still help since you are switching multiple units to get Blu-Ray or Cable, but this might be the cheapest way.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-24-2011, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Sure. Looks for a good HDMI matrix switcher for the video side and use the receiver for audio (and component video). Only use HDMI when you have to. And, then use a universal remote so you only have to press one button to change both the HDMI switcher, the receiver input and the projector input (if needed).

Problem is some of my devises only have one HDMI output like my cable box (i think) and appleTV for sure. so if the HDMI went to a matrix switch, it would need to go out to video and audio. right now I do that through my TV. Send audio/visual both and then audio through to my receiver. i guess this means that i would need a matrix switch that could receive one live input (appleTV) and send to two live outputs; video and audio (PJ and receiver). does this exist?

Quote:

Short of that or a new receiver, I'm afraid you are out of luck. You are also going to have problems with the same HDMI output going to a 720p TV and a 1080p projector, unless the 720p TV could also handle 1080p inputs over HDMI.

I know I can configure my cable box for 1080p and the TV displays just fine. I don't know if this is actually sending a 1080p signal. Also, I don't know how the matrix switch determines the lowest common denominator? Will it still detect that my TV is 720p and then downgrade my PJ to 720p as well? that would suck big time.

Quote:

Changing this around a little, how about if you sent your current setup exactly the same way you are doing today but send component outputs to a component switcher and then to the TV/projector . Then take an OPPO BDP-93 Blu-Ray player with two independent HDMI ports and separate 7.1-channel audio output and use the separate HDMI outputs for the TV and projector. Then use RCA plugs for the analog audio inputs on your receiver. That will require only a new component video switcher and the OPPO blu-ray player. A universal remote would still help since you are switching multiple units to get Blu-Ray or Cable, but this might be the cheapest way.

Very interesting idea. Almost like routing from the HDMI device itself to avoid using an HDMI switch. The only problem is that I have two HDMI devices, AppleTV and then Blueray (new). Apple TV only has one HDMI output. Oh the other issue is that routing a component input to my PJ would be a pain b/c I am routing it through the carpet and component cables are thick.

I know I can buy a new 1080p LCD/plasma, then buy a receiver with multiple inputs and lastly buy an HDMI switch to split the signal, but that is three very expensive components on top of the PJ/screen/BR to make it all happen. Yikes.

I was really hoping to make it all happen more simply. Maybe I have to invest in a very robust HDMI switch or new receiver. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the input Andy!
post #4 of 9 Old 10-24-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

I did a quick search on HDMI matrix switches and it looks like there are devices that could actually do what I'm looking for. I found a 4x2 that has one optical ouput. So I use the optical ouput coupled to my PJ and continue using the TV to pass through the optical for the second output.

Does this sound right to you?

I found these products on amazon... I don't know if it is OK to post links. I will take out if not OK.
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium...owViewpoints=1
http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital...owViewpoints=1

Would you recommend these or another device.. i think monoprice has equivalents also.

I think my only last issue is that having a 720p and a 1080p device may not work out so well. Is there anyway to get around this or "hard code" the signal quality?
post #5 of 9 Old 10-24-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

I read this in a review. Pretty much my situation.

"if both TVs at the output of a HDMI matrix shares the same single video source at the HDMI matrix's input, then according to HDMI protocol, the video source will not send video in HD, it will be SD, so that both TVs can have picture.

Because if the video soruce sends HD, then the SD TV will not have picture.

For example, if output A goes to HDTV, and output B goes to SDTV, then, if you have your blu-ray ONLY goes to output A, then your HDTV @ output A will get HD signal. "

Substituting Output A = 1080p and Output B = 720p... is it true that if A and B are both live, then both will get 720p... but if only A is live, then A will get 1080p?
post #6 of 9 Old 10-24-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post

I read this in a review. Pretty much my situation.

"if both TVs at the output of a HDMI matrix shares the same single video source at the HDMI matrix's input, then according to HDMI protocol, the video source will not send video in HD, it will be SD, so that both TVs can have picture.

Because if the video soruce sends HD, then the SD TV will not have picture.

For example, if output A goes to HDTV, and output B goes to SDTV, then, if you have your blu-ray ONLY goes to output A, then your HDTV @ output A will get HD signal. "

Substituting Output A = 1080p and Output B = 720p... is it true that if A and B are both live, then both will get 720p... but if only A is live, then A will get 1080p?

That is true. And, sometimes TVs that are in standby mode (the usual "off" mode) will still be active on their HDMI ports. If you think about it, this isn't too different than sending 1080p over component video - the 720p TV would still not understand that signal either. But, HDMI is needlessly complicated for situations like this.

Anyway, I can reduce the cost of your desired system a bit but not much. Take your present system and remove the DVD player. Take the cable TV box and put it on the component video outputs you are presently using for the DVD player.

You'll then need two HDMI distribution amps (< $100 unless you want 3D) and connect the apple TV and the new Blu-Ray player each to an HDMI distribution amp. The HDMI distribution outputs then go to the TV and projector as separate HDMI inputs to both. You'll also need a component video distribution amp (again fairly cheap) for the cable TV. You can eliminate one distribution amp if you go with the OPPO BDP-93.

Audio is as you have it today except add the 7.1-channel audio outputs from the Blu-Ray player.

That's all you need. If you go with the OPPO you can select 720p on one HDMI output and 1080p on the other HDMI output. That solves your HDMI problem. The AppleTV may have to live at 720p for both the TV and the projector to work with that input. Component video takes care of the cable TV and you won't lose any resolution there.

And, even if you get a new receiver you still have to figure out the 720p / 1080p dillemma with the receiver. The OPPO will really simplify your life in this case and keep you from needing a new receiver. However, depending upon how much you were planning to spend on a new receiver, the OPPO may be higher priced.

Short of that, I think your 720p TV is really your bottleneck to being able to solve this problem. While I know it only displays 720p, are you sure it can't handle a 1080i or 1080p input? Most 720p sets could handle 1080i inputs.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-29-2011, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Another creative solution. Essentially you are suggesting splitting the signal at each source. This is like a brain teaser.

One bit of info I may have left out is that I don't need to view both tv and pj at the same time. Therefore I think a matrix switch will be simplest. Also, since i have to route to hmdi to the pj a long distance under the carpet, I would rather have one line out. The matrix switches on amazon are less than 200. Also, I'm pretty sure I can force 1080p to the tv and it works fine. Thanks for the feedback. I'm open to other solutions as well. Will try to post my results in a few months after I get it all together.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-27-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thought I would report back my initial findings for those in a similar boat.

I got a viewHD 4x2 matrix switch on amazon for ~$80. Cable and PS3 inputs, 720p LCD and 1080p pj outputs.

I'm still learning but here's what I know.
1. It works, but not without some inconvenience. I can get either input to display on either output.
2. The LCD output is not live when turned off. This allows me to get 1080p from my PS3 to pj. Example: when using the PS3 to detect the output capability it reads the LCD as 1080i and the PJ as 1080p. Tested with the other device off to isolate the signal.
3. The matrix does not automatically downgrade the image quality to suit the device when one device is used. Example: when the PS3 is set to 1080p it will not display on the LCD. When it is set to 1080i, it will display on the LCD. This is actually the problem that I wanted in that I wanted to hardcore the output signal. But the deawback is that I need to manually set the PS3 to 1080i before using on the TV.
4. The input switch doesn't work when both input devices are on. Example: if the cable box is on and I want to switch to the ps3, I have to turn off the cable box. Otherwise the signal does not switch.
5. Sometimes the pj won't detect the new input device without cycling through all the outputs or pressing the reset button.
6. The switch does some intelligent turning on and off the cable box. I don't really like this.
7. The remote is not cooperating.

I've only been playing with this device for 2 nights and I am happy so far. Although it introduces another manual button push, it gets the job done without swapping cables. Hopefully I'll learn the nuances of this device and then get a universal remote to handle it all.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-27-2011, 10:21 AM

For #6 - make sure HDMI CEC is disabled in all devices. You may be, unfortunately, stuck with the others.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page