Is there a difference in image quality between a 1.2 and 1.3/1.4? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-27-2011, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought what for me is a very expensive TV (Samsung 55 UN55D8000) and I plan on hooking it with my xbox 360 and a blu ray player. The only HDMI cable I have is the one that came with my Xbox 360 Elite (anyone know if its 1.2 or 1.3???).

1) The question is, is there going to be a difference in image quality if the cable is only 1.2 than if I used a 1.3/1.4 when playing 360 or watching a blu ray?

2) I know 1.3/1.4 support 3D and some audio return thing, so does that mean when I put the TV in 3D mode with the (supposedly) 1.2 hdmi cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-28-2011, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanElite_MX View Post

I just bought what for me is a very expensive TV (Samsung 55 UN55D8000) and I plan on hooking it with my xbox 360 and a blu ray player. The only HDMI cable I have is the one that came with my Xbox 360 Elite (anyone know if its 1.2 or 1.3???).

1) The question is, is there going to be a difference in image quality if the cable is only 1.2 than if I used a 1.3/1.4 when playing 360 or watching a blu ray?

2) I know 1.3/1.4 support 3D and some audio return thing, so does that mean when I put the TV in 3D mode with the (supposedly) 1.2 hdmi cable?

Well, the answer is neither. There is no such thing as a 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4a cable. They are either high speed cables or standard speed cables with some options for both types. Both have the same pin-outs. The difference is the speed the cable is certified to.

Try this link to the HDMI Org's FAQ (HDMI Org owns the HDMI specs, trademark, patents, etc):

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49

As for your cable, try it. 1080p/60 requires high speed as does 3D. Deep color requires high speed. If it works reliably (no sparkles, no single color screens, no blank screen, no strange messages on the screen) then it's able to pass high speed signals. If not, you'll need a new cable. These are digital cables - they either pass the ones and zeros or they don't. Image quality such as contrast or brightness or sharpness or color are not affected by a bad cable.

New cables are cheap if purchased at the right store (less than $1 per foot). Make sure the cable says "high speed" on the packaging (many older cables will not have this).
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page