HDMI Image Quality and sound Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-11-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
The other day I bought a HDMi cable as a replacement and upgrade from my VGA and 3.5mm jack, and when I plugged it into my 22" Logik TV, my PC desktop (Windows & Home Premium 64 bit, BTW) came up, however - no sound, so I looked in 'playback devices', which said the cable wasn't plugged, then I decided to restart it. Then when i checked 'playback devices' again and it was there, so i checked the sound - which work absolutely fine. Then I noticed that compared to the vga image the new cable wasn't quite right - it seemed brighter and I could barely read then text (I don't know about contrast or whatever), even though the TV recognises the source as 1080p. Anyway, I messed around with the TV's display setting, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Then I went away and shut down the PC. Later on, I went back, image was still bad, but I noticed there was no sound again. So I checked 'playback devices' and it said the HDMI cable wasn't plugged in again. I unplugged the cables and plugged it back in, and it's still doing this every time I connect it. So, in summary, the video quality is different to that of VGA and the sound output is mucked up somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtom111 View Post

Hi,
The other day I bought a HDMi cable as a replacement and upgrade from my VGA and 3.5mm jack, and when I plugged it into my 22" Logik TV, my PC desktop (Windows & Home Premium 64 bit, BTW) came up, however - no sound, so I looked in 'playback devices', which said the cable wasn't plugged, then I decided to restart it. Then when i checked 'playback devices' again and it was there, so i checked the sound - which work absolutely fine. Then I noticed that compared to the vga image the new cable wasn't quite right - it seemed brighter and I could barely read then text (I don't know about contrast or whatever), even though the TV recognises the source as 1080p. Anyway, I messed around with the TV's display setting, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Then I went away and shut down the PC. Later on, I went back, image was still bad, but I noticed there was no sound again. So I checked 'playback devices' and it said the HDMI cable wasn't plugged in again. I unplugged the cables and plugged it back in, and it's still doing this every time I connect it. So, in summary, the video quality is different to that of VGA and the sound output is mucked up somehow.

If you go back to the forum topics list and use the search function to check on "image quality" you'll see that there have been a number of questions about how an HDMI cable effects image quality. The answer in all of those forum topics is that it doesn't.

The HDMI cable takes 1s and 0s and moves them from one end of the cable to the other. If you get errors in the 1s and 0s, then these will show up as sparkles, no image, lines through the image and other obvious things. What the cable won't do is to change the contrast or the brightness or the color. It's just a dumb cable. Really dumb cable.

What you are seeing is that your computer or your TV has a different setting for HDMI than for VGA. It is also possible, depending upon the quality of the video card and TV, that the HDMI input is not superior to that of VGA. This was particularly true of HDMI in the early-to-mid 2000s timeframe. Many people preferred component video or VGA inputs. Another possibility is that you have scaling set to 'on' with the video card when using HDMI. Use your ATI or NVidia control panel to see if scaling is set to 'on' and also change any settings that might be set incorrectly.

Your audio problem is likely on the computer side of things. Probably Windows settings are being reset to a default. Unfortunately, the only thing to do then is to try to find the setting that is being reset and set that to the default setting, which it sounds like you tried to do. Continue down that path.

Also, I noticed that you are new to the AVSForum. Welcome! In the future, however, it becomes easier to answer your questions if you provide more information about your hardware configuration (including model numbers).
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page