Hdmi snow problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-15-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having problems replacing a faulty 50ft hdmi 1.3B cable from my pioneer 1120 to my optpma hd66. Replacement HIGH SPEED cable gives me snow or sparkles in the backround.By passing 1120, components hooked directly work fine. 2nd replacement 1.4 cable gave no sound or pics. PLugged orig. faulty cable back in , and NO SNOW, but faulty in another area as pic is all distorted. the replacements are high speed and high speed +ethernet. THis is driving me crazy! could this be some king of ground issue? PLEASE HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregguy View Post

I am having problems replacing a faulty 50ft hdmi 1.3B cable from my pioneer 1120 to my optpma hd66. Replacement HIGH SPEED cable gives me snow or sparkles in the backround.By passing 1120, components hooked directly work fine. 2nd replacement 1.4 cable gave no sound or pics. PLugged orig. faulty cable back in , and NO SNOW, but faulty in another area as pic is all distorted. the replacements are high speed and high speed +ethernet. THis is driving me crazy! could this be some king of ground issue? PLEASE HELP

You can't buy a 50 foot high speed cable. It doesn't exist. 25 feet is roughtly the maximum length for a high speed cable.

So, either you aren't looking at the right cable or someone sold you a standard speed cable and labeled it as a high speed cable. Check the certificate of the cable and I'll bet you'll find that your "high speed cable" doesn't match the certificate in length.

Standard speed and high speed cables have the same pin-outs. The high speed is simply certified for 3D and deep color and everything else that needs the higher bandwidth. There is also no such thing as a 1.3b cable (although there was a time when that was legal) or a 1.4 cable (1.4 and 1.4a was never legal for a cable).

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49

Basically you need a standard cable that coincidentally can support high speeds at 50 feet (usually a higher gauge cable), an active cable, a converter to cat 6 or a converter to fibre optic.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-15-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

You can't buy a 50 foot high speed cable. It doesn't exist. 25 feet is roughtly the maximum length for a high speed cable.

So, either you aren't looking at the right cable or someone sold you a standard speed cable and labeled it as a high speed cable. Check the certificate of the cable and I'll bet you'll find that your "high speed cable" doesn't match the certificate in length.

Standard speed and high speed cables have the same pin-outs. The high speed is simply certified for 3D and deep color and everything else that needs the higher bandwidth. There is also no such thing as a 1.3b cable (although there was a time when that was legal) or a 1.4 cable (1.4 and 1.4a was never legal for a cable).

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49

Basically you need a standard cable that coincidentally can support high speeds at 50 feet (usually a higher gauge cable), an active cable, a converter to cat 6 or a converter to fibre optic.

THANKS ANDY,Are these sparkles typical in long runs of hdmi, why does ps3 , appletv, hd player work fine on this cable directly, bypassing the pioneer 1120? But going thruogh the 1120 gives me sparkles. UPDATE, just ran cable from the 1120 to a 1080 p lcd monitor and looks better, though i still see some snow. THe projector still gets snow. I'm confused on what i need to get the pj running snow free. Do i need a 22 gauge hdmi? whats an active cable? conv. to cat 6, or to fibre? What is my cheapest best bet. why did my original 36 dollar cable work fine? until it went. Thanks for all your help and advice!!!!. cheers.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:

THANKS ANDY,Are these sparkles typical in long runs of hdmi, why does ps3 , appletv, hd player work fine on this cable directly, bypassing the pioneer 1120? But going thruogh the 1120 gives me sparkles. UPDATE, just ran cable from the 1120 to a 1080 p lcd monitor and looks better, though i still see some snow. THe projector still gets snow. I'm confused on what i need to get the pj running snow free. Do i need a 22 gauge hdmi? whats an active cable? conv. to cat 6, or to fibre? What is my cheapest best bet. why did my original 36 dollar cable work fine? until it went. Thanks for all your help and advice!!!!. cheers.

Check the archives, you'll find a bunch of recommendations.

Basically any HDMI cable has a chance of working for 1080p. It's just the cables labeled "high speed" are certified to do that bandwidth and beyond. So, you got lucky with your original cable *and* (most importantly) 1080p doesn't use the full high speed bandwidth. Enable "deep color" on both your source device and your projector and you'll likely get an even worse experience.

Now the problem with the cable length has to do with how "in-tune" the HDMI chipset is with the cable length. I'm sorry but I can't think of a better term right now than "in tune" - having to do with equalization, amplitude, noise rejection and many of those factors that change based on cable length and sending/receiving chipsets. So one chipset might work with a particular cable and another won't. This is why 25' is the maximum certified length for high speed cables since those are guaranteed to work with all chipsets. Try a true high speed cable and your problems will go away.

For 50 feet, you can roll the dice and see if another higher gauge standard speed cable will allow the bandwidth you are actually using to work. Or, check the internet for a cat 6 converter or an active HDMI cable - actually just check this forum's archives (use the "search this forum" option) for many choices.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again, I just tried a new high speed 1.4 50fter 24 guage. I left it coiled in case of returning it. plugged 1 end to the pioneer 1120, the other into an asus ve24-7h led monitor. No snow, but picture flickering like crazy. Had the hdmi coil sitting on the receiver. would leaving it coiled on top of the amp make any differance? thanks again folks. cheers
post #6 of 6 Old 11-18-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks again, I just tried a new high speed 1.4 50fter 24 guage. I left it coiled in case of returning it. plugged 1 end to the pioneer 1120, the other into an asus ve24-7h led monitor. No snow, but picture flickering like crazy. Had the hdmi coil sitting on the receiver. would leaving it coiled on top of the amp make any differance? thanks again folks. cheers

It could. Also stay away from running parallel with electrical lines.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page