Getting "Illegal Signal" Message - PLEASE HELP !!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-19-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey fellas !

I purchased Monoprice HDMI cables and a Monoprice 4X1 Enhanced 1.3b Certified HDMI Switch w/ Built-In Equalizer & Remote (REV.3.0) (Product ID 4088) http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

When I plugged in a first generation Pioneer Elite Blue Ray player into the switcher, which connects to my 1st generation Pioneer Elite Plasma TV, it all worked fine.

But today I plugged in the latest model of the Pioneer Elite Blue Ray Player with the same HDMI wires and same Monoprice switcher. When I toggle to the source, it results in the the TV screen being blank and indicates "Illegal Signal". When I plugged in my PS3 into the switcher with the Monoprice HDMI wires, I got the same "Illegal Signal" message.

Can anyone please help? I know lots of people, even on this forum use the Monoprice switcher and rave about it. I use it because my TV only has one HDMI input and my home theater receiver does not allow for HDMI connections.

Can someone please help!! My son's birthday party is tomorrow and it's supposed to be a Star Wars party where they watch the movies.

Thanks!!
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-18-2011, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvacins View Post

Well Then.... A day late and a buck short.... The only thing I can think of at the moment is your 1.3b HDMI cable is your problem. I had the similar instance with my 1.3b cables when I hooked up my new Pioneer Elite SC-37 This was because my cables would not work for 3-D content. So when I purchased my Audioquest Chocolate Series 1.4 cables and swapped out.... No more problems This was the same for my PS3, Of course only a problem during the attempt of 3-D playback.

I'm not familiar with the monoprice thing... just your average beginer HT Enthusiast... I still got a lot to learn... this was one of em.

Although from time to time I still get the " illegal " message from my blu-ray player even during 2-D playback.... Not sure what the deal there is... but probably has something to do with the HDMI Handshake between components... I just cycle the power on the blu-ray and back to normal we go.

Not sure if any of this helps you... but at least it's a reply.

Audioquest Chocolate Series 1.4 cable? I hope you didn't pay a premium price because there's no such thing as a 1.4 HDMI cable. Certified High Speed HDMI cables are all you need. 1.4 is the protocol applied to the device, not the cable. All High Speed HDMI cables are compatible with any HDMI "version" number. The "illegal" message may have something to do with HDCP, which High Speed cables support, and you don't need to pay a premium price for them. Monoprice is a good place to get HDMI cables without paying a ridiculously, and unnecessary, high price.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Audioquest Chocolate Series 1.4 cable? I hope you didn't pay a premium price because there's no such thing as a 1.4 HDMI cable. Certified High Speed HDMI cables are all you need. 1.4 is the protocol applied to the device, not the cable. All High Speed HDMI cables are compatible with any HDMI "version" number. The "illegal" message may have something to do with HDCP, which High Speed cables support, and you don't need to pay a premium price for them. Monoprice is a good place to get HDMI cables without paying a ridiculously, and unnecessary, high price.

Otto, I'm having a sense of deja-vu with this one. I remembering answering Dave back in November. The only thing I see is Dave's original email and then your reply to what looks like a different question. Is the AVSForum having issues?
post #4 of 4 Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Otto, I'm having a sense of deja-vu with this one. I remembering answering Dave back in November. The only thing I see is Dave's original email and then your reply to what looks like a different question. Is the AVSForum having issues?

That's interesting you should bring that up. I sometimes don't always notice the post date but you're right, it's from November with apparently no follow-up. I've noticed lately that some of my replies don't show up right away (I thought the mods were messin' with me for some reason) or they seem to show up appended to someone else's post so my response doesn't really make sense to the quote. Strange indeed.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page