Blue Ray Player with HDMI Results in "Illegal Signal" Message on TV -PLEASE HELP !!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-19-2011, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey fellas !

I purchased Monoprice HDMI cables and a Monoprice 4X1 Enhanced 1.3b Certified HDMI Switch w/ Built-In Equalizer & Remote (REV.3.0) (Product ID 4088) http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

When I plugged in a first generation Pioneer Elite Blue Ray player into the switcher, which connects to my 1st generation Pioneer Elite Plasma TV, it all worked fine.

But today I plugged in the latest model of the Pioneer Elite Blue Ray Player with the same HDMI wires and same Monoprice switcher. When I toggle to the source, it results in the the TV screen being blank and indicates "Illegal Signal". When I plugged in my PS3 into the switcher with the Monoprice HDMI wires, I got the same "Illegal Signal" message.

Can anyone please help? I know lots of people, even on this forum use the Monoprice switcher and rave about it. I use it because my TV only has one HDMI input and my home theater receiver does not allow for HDMI connections.

Can someone please help!! My son's birthday party is tomorrow and it's supposed to be a Star Wars party where they watch the movies.

Thanks!!
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-19-2011, 11:05 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightdrive21 View Post

Hey fellas !

I purchased Monoprice HDMI cables and a Monoprice 4X1 Enhanced 1.3b Certified HDMI Switch w/ Built-In Equalizer & Remote (REV.3.0) (Product ID 4088) http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

When I plugged in a first generation Pioneer Elite Blue Ray player into the switcher, which connects to my 1st generation Pioneer Elite Plasma TV, it all worked fine.

But today I plugged in the latest model of the Pioneer Elite Blue Ray Player with the same HDMI wires and same Monoprice switcher. When I toggle to the source, it results in the the TV screen being blank and indicates "Illegal Signal". When I plugged in my PS3 into the switcher with the Monoprice HDMI wires, I got the same "Illegal Signal" message.

Can anyone please help? I know lots of people, even on this forum use the Monoprice switcher and rave about it. I use it because my TV only has one HDMI input and my home theater receiver does not allow for HDMI connections.

Can someone please help!! My son's birthday party is tomorrow and it's supposed to be a Star Wars party where they watch the movies.

Thanks!!
Dave

Did you turn off deep color (both on the TV and the Blu-Ray player)? If you get into a bind, set the resolution to 1080i on the Blu-Ray player and it just might start working. Then later-on you can trouble-shoot 1080p.

One thing you didn't mention is how long the cables are. That's important in these discussions.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-20-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Andy, you are awesome and I can not thank you enough. The fact that you took the time to reply and did not ignore my message has resulted in the problem being solved and a great party for the kids later today!!!

I had to hook up the new BD Player to a 1080P T.V., then change the display settings in the player to 1080i. Then it all worked on my older Pioneer TV and with the switcher too!!

Thank you thank you thank you for trying to help a stranger out!!!

Dave
post #4 of 5 Old 11-20-2011, 09:19 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightdrive21 View Post

Andy, you are awesome and I can not thank you enough. The fact that you took the time to reply and did not ignore my message has resulted in the problem being solved and a great party for the kids later today!!!

I had to hook up the new BD Player to a 1080P T.V., then change the display settings in the player to 1080i. Then it all worked on my older Pioneer TV and with the switcher too!!

Thank you thank you thank you for trying to help a stranger out!!!

Dave

Any time. Glad to help.

I think we really just bypassed the problem. My first question should have been does your Pioneer TV allow for a 1080p input? You may have to consult the owners manual.

If the TV supports 1080p, let me know how long the cable is that runs between the switcher and the TV. I think you may need to replace that cable to get to 1080p. Also the rough vintage of the cable would be helpful (year you purchased the cable).
post #5 of 5 Old 11-21-2011, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 164
HDMI (and DVI) has a way for a target (display) to communicate the resolutions it supports. The player shouldn't have defaulted to 1080p. Maybe the switch is at fault or the player was set to 1080p not knowing the plasma did not support it. Old Pios didn't support 1080p, neither did any other panel at the time. First gen Pio Elites are about 2002-2003 time frame. I almost bought one until I saw the Fujitsu P50.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page