Hdmi silver core not plated - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-24-2011, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was at Best buy of course and the sales person explained and showed me all kinds of cables. I read about the gold plated cables and most of the time a cable is a cable except on longer runs. On my 15' run I bought a 24 awg cable. One thing he tried to tell me is there is a silver cored instead of copper inside wire and was better. Can I get any opinions on this and is it ok to get the flat cable as it's easier to run and hide?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-24-2011, 06:12 AM

Liked: 88
It's OK to get any high speed cable as long as you can find its high speed certification and the certification is for that length of cable. I've been reading about manufacturers claiming to have high speed cables but the cables only work at 1080p/60 and really haven't been tested to the full high speed spec. So the certification is important.

Just remember the 2x guideline - a passive high speed HDMI cable should never cost more in dollars than twice its distance in feet.

To answer your specific question, at the distance you mention silver versus copper shouldn't matter one bit (literally). If the cable passed its testing then what material is used must be good enough.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-24-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

I found some silver and gold plated high speed cables 24awg 1.4 cl 2. Decent price so will wait for more comments before I buy. I haven't bought my new led yet so not in a hurry.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-24-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Gold plated - pins and earth shield on the connector, no way are the conductors gold plated.

Gold plating - 101 ways to skin that cat!

Silver - on relatively expensive cable assembly's you can spec silver coated copper conductor's.

As per previous post one High Speed cable will deliver the same performance as the next no matter what material's are used.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #5 of 7 Old 11-24-2011, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Silver is a slightly better conductor than copper, something on the order of 5%. It is also a couple orders of magnitude more expensive. You can achieve the same result by using slightly larger copper wire at minimal difference in price. One can make a better argument for silver plated wire than solid silver wire because of skin effect, but it hardly matters for almost all applications. IIWY I would buy the cheapest 15' certified high speed cable I could find.

Flat cable is problematic. I doubt the ones I have seen measure well compared to typical round cables. That said, if you use it and don't get sparkles or worse, it is working as well as any cable will.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-25-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I also find flat cable harder to work with as you can only bend it one way.

(As if any HDMI cable is "easy" to work with )
post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Well I ended up getting some 24awg copper cable with the silver coated high speed and certified. I was just at best buy and of course the sales person still had to tell me monster cable is the number one rated cable in the industry and meets certain standards. The people in the film industry use them etc...

He also said they only make on average $10 per HDTV they sell. Find it hard to believe that it is that small. He said on a $50 monster cable he pays like $30. Obviously still over priced. His argument was that it was 24k gold platted and it's connector it self was better made. I got sick of the debate and just said I would take this advice over someone trying to sell me something and make
commission.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page