Best hdmi cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 11-26-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Looking for a very good quality brand hdmi. Its for my sammy pn59d550, blue ray, & cable box. I've used the cheap brand. And pic quality is garbage. Which brand would You recommend? I've gone to best buy and they choose audio quest over monster. Anyone using audio quest brand cables?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 11-26-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 182
If you are getting an image with those "cheap" cables, you won't see much of an improvement spending 10 times as much with the name brand cables. $5 cables are just as good as those $50 cables. Monoprice and blue jeans cables are excellent.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #3 of 60 Old 11-26-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

There is a huge difference in pic quality for blue ray and playstation 3. My friends have the same tv as I do. They all have moster hdmi cables, And there pic quality is gorgeous compared to mine. Just to make sure. I switched mines over to there tv and blue ray. And its almost as if the cable can't handle it. I just don't want to spend over $100 like they did. But I still want a good quality cable.
post #4 of 60 Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 89
there could be a problem with your cable and or connection,but don't waste money on high dollar hdmi cables,check out monoprice cables.

Mark
post #5 of 60 Old 11-26-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you have the exact same settings as your friend's tv? Is his calibrated? I have one expensive cable (belkin) and 3 cheap mono price cables. Can not tell any difference on my Pioneer. All produce an excellent picture.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #6 of 60 Old 11-26-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Just did, and wow! I just cant believe the huge price difference.
post #7 of 60 Old 11-26-2011, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

Do you have the exact same settings as your friend's tv? Is his calibrated? I have one expensive cable (belkin) and 3 cheap mono price cables. Can not tell any difference on my Pioneer. All produce an excellent picture.

It's not calibrated. i used the same setting as mine. The one that is a dead give away is when I'm on netflix. The top left corner, the pic quality keeps changing from low standard quality to medium. It never goes to full high def. That's when I started to question the hdmi cable.
post #8 of 60 Old 11-26-2011, 03:28 PM

Liked: 10
Monoprice:

24AWG CL2 Silver Plated High Speed work really well for my setup. PS3, Apple TV through an Anthem MRX 500 to a Samsung 3D Plasma...video and audio is awesome...
post #9 of 60 Old 11-26-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 View Post

It's not calibrated. i used the same setting as mine. The one that is a dead give away is when I'm on netflix. The top left corner, the pic quality keeps changing from low standard quality to medium. It never goes to full high def. That's when I started to question the hdmi cable.

That may be related to your internet connection. Netflix automatically streams based on your connection. If it doesn't maintain a 6 Mbs download speed, it will drop out of HD.

post #10 of 60 Old 11-26-2011, 03:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

You are aware of how Netflix, and the Internet, works, right?
post #11 of 60 Old 11-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
As others have said, an HDMI cable either works or it doesn't. It's all 1's and 0's. There's no difference between a $3 cable and a $100 cable.
post #12 of 60 Old 11-26-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petern View Post

You are aware of how Netflix, and the Internet, works, right?

I am well aware. Having 16mbps is fast enough for me. I am sure. My friends have even faster speed, due to there home business.
post #13 of 60 Old 11-26-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I started with monoprice but I ran into issues with the cables.I was dropping sync/picture. I switched to bluejeans and have been o.k. since. Just my .02
post #14 of 60 Old 11-26-2011, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

I started with monoprice but I ran into issues with the cables.I was dropping sync/picture. I switched to bluejeans and have been o.k. since. Just my .02

which model hdmi from monoprice did you have? I just ordered, premium 24awg high speed certified.
post #15 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am well aware. Having 16mbps is fast enough for me. I am sure. My friends have even faster speed, due to there home business.

What device are you streaming Netflix through? Roku? Apple TV? Boxee? Wifi directly into tv? You will find out in a hurry, those devices are poor when it comes to actual streaming and how fast the download speeds are. Unless directly in sight of your wifi router, that 16 Mbs is probably not the actual speed that is making it to those devices or tv, unless directly wired via ethernet.

post #16 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The mono price HDMI cable i ended up getting wasn't compatible with 1080p...i realised this once i hooked this up to my PS3. and I'm pretty sure it mentioned that it supported FULL HD during the time as well.

I ended up paying $16 for a 1080p HDMI cable at BB instead which worth perfectly. ;p At least with store bought HDMI cables they're reliable. and $16 doesn't hurt the bank either, unlike Sony's official PS3 HDMi cable....with the pretty ridiculous price tag.
post #17 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 01:14 AM

what the heck are you talking about? I've never heard of an HDMI cable that doesn't support 1080p. I think you are making stuff up.
post #18 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 04:20 AM

I purchased all four of my HDMI cables through Amazon and never had an issue with any of them. Quality is just great.
post #19 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

you should realize that there is no way that the hdmi cable can affect your download speeds... it can't, as there's no causal relationship between the two...

if you'd like to educate yourself a bit (and see why what others are telling you is correct), here's some reading for you...

click me for some reading about hdmi...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #20 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

which model hdmi from monoprice did you have? I just ordered, premium 24awg high speed certified.

I can't find my invoice as it was purchased a few years back but it was their best quality 25 foot cable. I also had a 3 foot of their best cable also go bad. I have bought an incredible amount of mono price audio and video cables and I never had an issue except with the hdmi cables.
post #21 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

I can't find my invoice as it was purchased a few years back but it was their best quality 25 foot cable. I also had a 3 foot of their best cable also go bad. I have bought an incredible amount of mono price audio and video cables and I never had an issue except with the hdmi cables.

Did you ever contact them for replacement? Most of their cables carry lifetime warranty and they usually just ship you the replacement cable free of charge provided you're a regular and not like a habitual returner or "my cables are bad" caller. I've purchased several HDMI cables (at least 3-4) from them in the past and never had one go bad. I don't have any experience with their hdmi > 10', but if you had both go bad I would actually worry that there's something wrong with your a/v chain that's frying them and they're eating it rather than passing it on through to the hdmi controller.
post #22 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 07:26 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:

There is a huge difference in pic quality for blue ray and playstation 3. My friends have the same tv as I do. They all have moster hdmi cables, And there pic quality is gorgeous compared to mine. Just to make sure. I switched mines over to there tv and blue ray. And its almost as if the cable can't handle it. I just don't want to spend over $100 like they did. But I still want a good quality cable.

Where did you guys come from? It feels like Groundhog Day when I see a thread of this title.

First, if you are trying to make a point, your credibility goes way up if you properly spell blu-ray. It's amazing how many "experts" can't even spell the name "Blu-Ray".

Secondly the HDMI cable simply passes 1s and 0s. It is not a smart device that can change the 1s and 0s to make the picture better. How would it do that?

Finally, the HDMI specs are owned by the HDMI Org. They own the specs, they own the trademarks, they own the patents, they own HDMI. You can find their explanation of the two types of HDMI cables at:

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49

And, yes, there are only two types of HDMI cables - standard speed and high speed. At short distances both will work with 1080p/60 and 3D. At longer distances the standard speed cables *may* only work with 720/1080i.

And has been pointed out many times already, the HDMI cable does not change your download speed. It simply takes audio video signals and sends them to your TV/receiver. It does not decode the internet video stream.

And, finally, if you want to go waste your money on higher cost HDMI cables that do the exact same thing as the lower cost cables, you go right ahead and do that. It's your money and you may waste it anyway you see fit. I'd rather have a more expensive component that makes a difference. But, that's just me. I also think there are a few people out in this forum who, in the past, said that you could mail them the money instead.
post #23 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Where did you guys come from? It feels like Groundhog Day when I see a thread of this title.

First, if you are trying to make a point, your credibility goes way up if you properly spell blu-ray. It's amazing how many "experts" can't even spell the name "Blu-Ray".

Secondly the HDMI cable simply passes 1s and 0s. It is not a smart device that can change the 1s and 0s to make the picture better. How would it do that?

Finally, the HDMI specs are owned by the HDMI Org. They own the specs, they own the trademarks, they own the patents, they own HDMI. You can find their explanation of the two types of HDMI cables at:

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49

And, yes, there are only two types of HDMI cables - standard speed and high speed. At short distances both will work with 1080p/60 and 3D. At longer distances the standard speed cables *may* only work with 720/1080i.

And has been pointed out many times already, the HDMI cable does not change your download speed. It simply takes audio video signals and sends them to your TV/receiver. It does not decode the internet video stream.

And, finally, if you want to go waste your money on higher cost HDMI cables that do the exact same thing as the lower cost cables, you go right ahead and do that. It's your money and you may waste it anyway you see fit. I'd rather have a more expensive component that makes a difference. But, that's just me. I also think there are a few people out in this forum who, in the past, said that you could mail them the money instead.

+1

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #24 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
What HDMI cable should I buy?

"Let's cut to the chase:
CNET strongly recommends cheap HDMI cables widely available from online retailers instead of the expensive counterparts sold in your local electronics store.

Expensive cables aren't worth it
If you walk into your typical electronics store to buy an HDMI cable, you're likely to see prices upward of $50 with promises of better performance and faster speeds. Do you really need to spend that much money on a single HDMI cable?

Absolutely not--those cables are a rip-off. You should never pay more than $10 for a standard six-foot HDMI cable. And despite what salesmen and manufacturers might tell you, there's no meaningful difference between the $10 cable and the $50 cable."
post #25 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

Did you ever contact them for replacement? Most of their cables carry lifetime warranty and they usually just ship you the replacement cable free of charge provided you're a regular and not like a habitual returner or "my cables are bad" caller. I've purchased several HDMI cables (at least 3-4) from them in the past and never had one go bad. I don't have any experience with their hdmi > 10', but if you had both go bad I would actually worry that there's something wrong with your a/v chain that's frying them and they're eating it rather than passing it on through to the hdmi controller.

I did not since I figured that the expense and time of shipping a cable back would not be worth it. I've spent hundreds of dollars with them and I have never had a warranty claim. Thanks for the info.
post #26 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

What you should probably do is save your response as a text file so you can just copy and paste it about once a month when you see the thread title without having to read it I commend you on your patience.
post #27 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 08:21 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

What you should probably do is save your response as a text file so you can just copy and paste it about once a month when you see the thread title without having to read it I commend you on your patience.

I appreciate Ian and your comments. It makes it worthwhile.

I only wish I got $1 each time I referenced the HDMI Org's FAQ :-)
post #28 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 186
In my humble opinion the 'Best HDMI Cable' has yet to be developed or produced. In the meantime, as a mere mortal, I'm willing to accept the premise that they are all about the same.
post #29 of 60 Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

I appreciate Ian and your comments. It makes it worthwhile.

I only wish I got $1 each time I referenced the HDMI Org's FAQ :-)

Alas, an early retirement is not in your stars
post #30 of 60 Old 11-28-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:

I have never opened up a cable but assume it is simply made of copper strands so how does an HDMI cable pass 1's and 0's if not through an electrical charge? If it is an electrical charge, (probably low voltage, low current with short bursts of varying voltage) why would that not be subject to the same reductions of voltage due to the resistance over the length of the cable and potentially poor slew rates as any other electrical charge passing down a copper strand? I thought both issues would result in some form of algorithmic error correction by the receiving device that could very well result in reduced picture or sound quality (perhaps data sent in packets with a header specifying number of bits in the packet and a check digit?). That would be consistent with the testing process in the link provided that determines if the cable meets type 1 or type 2 standards. I would guess that this is not a case of the cable either passing the test signal or it doesn't, rather the data loss over the length of the cable due to the issues mentioned above result in an unacceptable error rate by the receiving device sufficient to meet the type 1 or 2 designation. Hence a cable of 3ft may pass type 1 and 2 whereas a 20ft cable of the same design may only pass type 1. Happy to be edumacated on this.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page