Whats the best HDMI cable for PS3 to LED TV gaming?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-11-2011, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have input lag from my PS3 to my SONY KDL55HX820.

I am almost 99% sure this lag is due to tv processing. i tested a bunch of tvs in game modes and turned off all processing, my old plasma has almost no lag.

Anyway in the interest of reducing lag, my HDMI cable is this old 2008 one $13 https://www.ebgames.com.au/ps3-14319...-PlayStation-3

should i bother upgrading? most people say it wont help

also will running my ps3 through a denon avr391 surround reciever and thus using 2 hdmi cables induce any extra lag? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-11-2011, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

I noticed some are rated 6gb speed and some 14 g speed - will it help for 3d gaming/movies?

noticed my box had 1.3b? it looks like on the box front - 3d works on it though?
post #3 of 13 Old 12-11-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Might be comparing apples to oranges. But I use this to connect both of my PS3's to plasmas. Have zero issues at all.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-11-2011, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Might be comparing apples to oranges. But I use this to connect both of my PS3's to plasmas. Have zero issues at all.

Yes mp lasmam also has no lag issues...

Cool, would buy one but shipping to australia is $34 for the $2.99 product...!

Can it do the 7.1 surround sound?
post #5 of 13 Old 12-11-2011, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Monster cables state

ou will also have the first and only speed rated gaming HDMI cable that’s ready for the 3D revolution. Monster Game for Advanced High Speed HDMI is speed-rated at a blazing 14.3 Gbps.

not interested in their overpriced stock but am wondering if the 14gps has any effect?
post #6 of 13 Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 AM

If you are getting a good picture with your current cable, going to a "better" cable will not have any affect on the (audio) lag your are experiencing. There may be some TV settings you could change that would help
post #7 of 13 Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
a different hdmi cable will have ZERO effect upon lag...

there are two tyypes of cables sold now... "standard" and "high speed" (and "standard" ones are disappearing)... all that other stuff from monster is simply deceptive marketing...

here is some reading for you...

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articl...n.htm?hdmidept

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 Old 12-11-2011, 05:32 PM

Liked: 87
If you think about it, the electric field has to be moving close to the speed of light (strangely but not the electrons, but that is another story). So work out how much lag that cable would have at the speed of light. Almost none.

A slight delay for each component that forwards the HDMI might be reasonable but you can check this by trying a direct connection versus the routing through the AVR. Then you can subjectively determine the difference in lag. But don't assume any of that is the cable.

Any speed greater than 10.4 mbps is well outside any current HDMI chipset capability. So any cable that provides the excess capability is just wasted money and is a marketing ploy.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

If you think about it, the electric field has to be moving close to the speed of light (strangely but not the electrons, but that is another story). So work out how much lag that cable would have at the speed of light. Almost none.

A slight delay for each component that forwards the HDMI might be reasonable but you can check this by trying a direct connection versus the routing through the AVR. Then you can subjectively determine the difference in lag. But don't assume any of that is the cable.

Any speed greater than 10.4 mbps is well outside any current HDMI chipset capability. So any cable that provides the excess capability is just wasted money and is a marketing ploy.

Cool. So I bought 2 hdmi cables on ebay one rated 1.4b 15gps and one 1.4 rated 10.2 gps.

Will let you know if it is wated money compared to buying a 1.3 cable for $40 at my closest store
post #10 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logitech1 View Post

Cool. So I bought 2 hdmi cables on ebay one rated 1.4b 15gps and one 1.4 rated 10.2 gps.

Will let you know if it is wated money compared to buying a 1.3 cable for $40 at my closest store

Remember there is no such thing as a 1.3 cable or a 1.4 cable. Does not exist. There is no 1.4b HDMI spec, so that definitely points towards a problem. This all might mean that you purchased a counterfeit HDMI cable. eBay is notorious for having sellers with counterfeit HDMI cables. There are only "standard speed" and "high speed" HDMI cables, anything else is incorrect and misleading.

Hopefully that did not happen in this case. However, if you see sparkles, flat solid color screens, lines running through the picture, or no picture at all, it is likely the result of a bogus cable rather than any rating difference.

If you do get the same picture on both cables, then your cables are good and a subjective test of lag should provide an indication of any differences (which should be none) in lag times. For me, I'd use a game where your motion can be measured and timed in the milliseconds. It would also help if you didn't know which cable was being used (someone else does the swap). Usually these types of tests are double-blind where even the person swapping the cable does not know but instead an outside third party determines which cable is being used so that there is no influence on any of the test takers.

Please let us know the results.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

There is no 1.4b HDMI spec...

Andy, you need to get out more. 1.4b spec was recently released. There is also a new organization, the HDMI Forum, that will be developing future specifications. Feature set for 2.0 is to be announced in January.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

thanks guys will try and report back - was happier to get 2 very cheap cables on ebay and keep my own that works than spend 150 on a monster cable
post #13 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Andy, you need to get out more. 1.4b spec was recently released. There is also a new organization, the HDMI Forum, that will be developing future specifications. Feature set for 2.0 is to be announced in January.

You're right (getting out more. :-)

Thanks - sounds like I have some reading to do tonight!
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
Monster Cable High Speed Hdmi Cable F Ps3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page