Handshake problem..? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-14-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Components in question: TV: M260VA, PS3, Desktop Computer, Laptop

Problem: The TV fails to get a signal from any of the aforementioned components. The problem arose when I unplugged the miniHDMI cord from the computer and plugged it back in.

I'm still able to get a signal under certain conditions. When I boot the computer in to Windows set-up off of either a CD or USB drive while the TV is off, then turn the TV back on when it has already entered the set-up portion, a signal is there, and stays there.

I also attempted reinstalling my video card drivers - when I tried then(booted up with TV off, then turned on midway), I got a signal for about a split second(might have hallucinated it, but I doubt it), and then went immediately black.

If there's something on and plugged in to the TV via HDMI and I change the source input for the TV, it hangs there for about 4-5 seconds, and then gets the blue screen of No Signal. If there is nothing plugged in, it immediately gets the blue screen as it should.

Currently, I have my TV unplugged and trying to power-cycle everything, hoping for the best... I guess my question is, how should I go about fixing this, and is this the so called handshake problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-15-2011, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Hotplugging HDMI is not a great idea - if you manage to not damage any of the Transmitter or Receiver chips hidden behind the HDMI sockets you can definitely make a mess of EDID and HDCP.

How are your four sources connected to the TV?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 5 Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 AM

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackles View Post

Components in question: TV: M260VA, PS3, Desktop Computer, Laptop

Problem: The TV fails to get a signal from any of the aforementioned components. The problem arose when I unplugged the miniHDMI cord from the computer and plugged it back in.

I'm still able to get a signal under certain conditions. When I boot the computer in to Windows set-up off of either a CD or USB drive while the TV is off, then turn the TV back on when it has already entered the set-up portion, a signal is there, and stays there.

I also attempted reinstalling my video card drivers - when I tried then(booted up with TV off, then turned on midway), I got a signal for about a split second(might have hallucinated it, but I doubt it), and then went immediately black.

If there's something on and plugged in to the TV via HDMI and I change the source input for the TV, it hangs there for about 4-5 seconds, and then gets the blue screen of No Signal. If there is nothing plugged in, it immediately gets the blue screen as it should.

Currently, I have my TV unplugged and trying to power-cycle everything, hoping for the best... I guess my question is, how should I go about fixing this, and is this the so called handshake problem?

Can you explain a bit more about "the problem arose when I unplugged the mini-HDMI cord"? You have three components listed. Were you using one cable between the three components? Before you "unplugged the mini-HDMI cord" was everything working properly? Did all of the components work before and don't work now?

Sorry for the questions but there are a lot of ways to interpret your statements that would change my answers.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-15-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Can you explain a bit more about "the problem arose when I unplugged the mini-HDMI cord"? You have three components listed. Were you using one cable between the three components? Before you "unplugged the mini-HDMI cord" was everything working properly? Did all of the components work before and don't work now?

Sorry for the questions but there are a lot of ways to interpret your statements that would change my answers.

Before I unplugged it, everything worked fine(although I hadn't tried my ps3 in awhile, I'm going to assume it was fine). The TV has two HDMI slots, ps3 connected to one, desktop to the other(laptop was only to test). Everything did work previously, and now I've only got the desktop to work under the one odd condition.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-15-2011, 02:03 PM

Liked: 89
You were on the right track with the power cycling. However many TVs don't fully reset until you select "factory reset" in the TV's menus. That will reset everything.

Have you tried swapping HDMI inputs on the TV to see if that changes anything? In other words HTPC on HDMI1 and PS3 on HDMI2. Make sure everything is off when you do.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page