AVS Forum banner

HDMI chaos

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Otto Pylot 
#1 ·
HDMI stress !! my kids have a panasonic TX-P42U20B tv in thier bedroom which worked fine on hdmi paired to thier xbox and virgin media box.Just recently the hdmi stopped working and have had an engineeer out to replace the hdmi board on the tv.When the engineer arrived for ease of access i had taken the tv into the living room where i connected it upto the tv and virgin box,after he had replaced the board everything seemed to be working fine.After he left i returned the tv to the kids room thats when the trouble starts ! hooked up the xbox on hdmi and the virgin box and got no picture on either just the channel list from virgin box,tried thier old xbox that used to work fine on thier tv and got no pic either.It seems like any device that has been paired with the tv when the hdmi board broke has now been rendered hdmi usless.Sorry forgot to mention i have today just tested a borrowed virgin box to test the prob and it works fine on hdmi ? also tested xbox's on a seperate hdmi tv and now niether work on hdmi,has the tv scrambled thier hdmi when the board broke ?whats going on !! please help

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza300 /forum/post/21390035

HDMI stress !! my kids have a panasonic TX-P42U20B tv in thier bedroom which worked fine on hdmi paired to thier xbox and virgin media box.Just recently the hdmi stopped working and have had an engineeer out to replace the hdmi board on the tv.When the engineer arrived for ease of access i had taken the tv into the living room where i connected it upto the tv and virgin box,after he had replaced the board everything seemed to be working fine.After he left i returned the tv to the kids room thats when the trouble starts ! hooked up the xbox on hdmi and the virgin box and got no picture on either just the channel list from virgin box,tried thier old xbox that used to work fine on thier tv and got no pic either.It seems like any device that has been paired with the tv when the hdmi board broke has now been rendered hdmi usless.Sorry forgot to mention i have today just tested a borrowed virgin box to test the prob and it works fine on hdmi ? also tested xbox's on a seperate hdmi tv and now niether work on hdmi,has the tv scrambled thier hdmi when the board broke ?whats going on !! please help

If I followed you correctly, once the TV was repaired and connected to a borrowed network box, everything works. However, if you connect any of the boxes that were connected at the time the TV failed, nothing works even after the TV was repaired. Is this correct?

Did the technician say what he thought was wrong with the original system board? A power surge over the HDMI line would explain this, but then the question becomes, what caused the power surge?

Double-check your HDMI settings and try a full reset of each device. Also do the component video outputs work on either box? How about the audio?

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 /forum/post/21391846

If I followed you correctly, once the TV was repaired and connected to a borrowed network box, everything works. However, if you connect any of the boxes that were connected at the time the TV failed, nothing works even after the TV was repaired. Is this correct?

Did the technician say what he thought was wrong with the original system board? A power surge over the HDMI line would explain this, but then the question becomes, what caused the power surge?

Double-check your HDMI settings and try a full reset of each device. Also do the component video outputs work on either box? How about the audio?

Yeah everything you've said is correct Andy. I've done full resets on all devices and still nothing. Video and audio outputs work fine just not HDMI output

No, the engineer didn't say exactly what was wrong with the original board - don't think he knew himself, he just said it would get sent back to Panasonic.

Just had the Virgin engineer out this morning and he confirmed the HDMI on the virgin box was faulty so he replaced it with a new one and all is ok now.

So just left with the two xboxes that won't connect and will probably need to replace/repair.

I was just hoping there would be an easier way to resolve the issue other than forking out money to replace/repair xboxes!

Thanks for your input!!

#7 ·
Just had the Virgin engineer out this morning and he confirmed the HDMI on the virgin box was faulty so he replaced it with a new one and all is ok now.

So just left with the two xboxes that won't connect and will probably need to replace/repair.
Sounds like a lightning strike or the TV's board fried the ports on everything that was plugged into it. Do the Xbox's work on another TV? If not, perhaps your homeowners insurance would help if you had a storm the same day they quit working. I doubt Panasonic would buy you two new Xboxes tho.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza300 /forum/post/21392269

Yeah everything you've said is correct Andy. I've done full resets on all devices and still nothing. Video and audio outputs work fine just not HDMI output

No, the engineer didn't say exactly what was wrong with the original board - don't think he knew himself, he just said it would get sent back to Panasonic.

I was just hoping there would be an easier way to resolve the issue other than forking out money to replace/repair xboxes!

Thanks for your input!!

Sorry - no bright ideas on this one. However, one word of caution. Make sure you understand what caused something like you are describing, since until you correct that, it could happen again. Did you have any lightning storms in your area when this happened?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.