Hdmi cables sold on ebay - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 12-25-2011, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if anyone knows if those cheap 9.99 no brand hdmi cables sold on ebay are chinese scams?

usually the seller has excellent feedback and the cables are usually 1.4 certified with silver coating and triple shielding..yada...yada...yada....

SCAM RIGHT?

ok I'll be honest I did buy these hdmi cables for 9.99....let me know what you guys think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190570300302...84.m1497.l2649

they do work but the stated build quality got to be a scam.

I bet it's made of pure chinese crap. Sometimes I'm so tempted to cut open these cables and see the innards for myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-25-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This sure is an amusing post. Ur saying, "I know they are pulling my leg, but I can't resist the cheap drug!"

Why the hey not, cut it open, ur going lose what 10 bux? DO IT. Then let us know will ya.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #3 of 30 Old 12-25-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post

I was wondering if anyone knows if those cheap 9.99 no brand hdmi cables sold on ebay are chinese scams?

usually the seller has excellent feedback and the cables are usually 1.4 certified with silver coating and triple shielding..yada...yada...yada....

SCAM RIGHT?

ok I'll be honest I did buy these hdmi cables for 9.99....let me know what you guys think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190570300302...84.m1497.l2649

they do work but the stated build quality got to be a scam.

I bet it's made of pure chinese crap. Sometimes I'm so tempted to cut open these cables and see the innards for myself.

You can get Certified High Speed HDMI cables from reputable dealers for the same price! Why the hell would you buy off of Ebay?
post #4 of 30 Old 12-25-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
The most likely HDMI cable scams on eBay are name brand cables sold at substantial discount. But you never know. It is certainly possible to buy a silver-plated, triple-shielded high speed HDMI cable for that price or close to it. You can get one at monoprice. If you want to be sure, buy from a reputable dealer.
post #5 of 30 Old 12-25-2011, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yeah!! I know about the reputable sites, I was just wondering if those cheap high quality looking hdmi cables sold on ebay are any good in terms of build quality or are they built the same as those $1 hdmi cables.

anyway thanks for the reply guys!!!
post #6 of 30 Old 12-25-2011, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

You can get Certified High Speed HDMI cables from reputable dealers for the same price! Why the hell would you buy off of Ebay?

well!!! it's hard to beat $ 9.94 free shipping for 15 feet 1.4 high speed certified hdmi cable with triple shielding and silver plated(probably not true). I don't believe not even Monoprice has it for that price that is for 1.4 certified.

I would appreciated if you can direct me to a reputable online dealer that offers those kind of prices.....thanks!!!

and I'm sure Monoprice hdmi cables are all chinese made.
post #7 of 30 Old 12-25-2011, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well!!! it's hard to beat $ 9.94 free shipping for 15 feet 1.4 high speed certified hdmi cable with triple shielding and silver plated(probably not true). I don't believe not even Monoprice has it for that price that is for 1.4 certified.

I would appreciated if you can direct me to a reputable online dealer that offers those kind of prices.....thanks!!!

There is no such thing as a "1.4 high speed certified HDMI cable". The version number (1.4, 1.3a, etc) refers to the hardware device spec, not the cable. A Certified High Speed HDMI cable will more than cover the device spec. As far as reputable dealers go, Monoprice or MediaBridge are two dependable dealers. I have MediaBridge. I believe the reliable distance for HDMI is 25' but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. $10 for 15' seems a bit cheap to me (caveat emptor). I paid $8 on sale for 6' High Speed cables with certification from MediaBridge.
post #8 of 30 Old 12-26-2011, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I was just wondering if those cheap high quality looking hdmi cables sold on ebay are any good in terms of build quality or are they built the same as those $1 hdmi cables.

You pays your money and takes your chances.
post #9 of 30 Old 12-26-2011, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

just out of curiosity, where do you think all the rest of them are made?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #10 of 30 Old 12-26-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Meh, EVERYTHING is made in China these days.

U just hope that if company is Western they have some sort of QA in place.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #11 of 30 Old 12-26-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

+1
post #12 of 30 Old 12-26-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

just out of curiosity, where do you think all the rest of them are made?

For the most part, I believe the branded ones are made in china under strict QC and maybe Japan. Those really expensive ones are made here in the states then again I could be wrong.

and those extremely cheap ones are made with chinese cow dung and piss for insulation.
post #13 of 30 Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I could be wrong.

Not could...Read this.

And it will be moving from China to other countries with lower labor costs. Might have already started. Chinese manufacturers are starting to find Chinese labor too expensive. Maybe Bangladesh? I would be extremely surprised if any HDMI cables are made in Japan considering their labor costs.
post #14 of 30 Old 12-26-2011, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

then again Blue Jeans cables could have posted that article themselves to sell their hdmi cables which by the way are extremely cheap looking. It's hard to get to the very truth of it all.

at the end I've decided to purchase audioquest diamond hdmi series....it should make a drastic difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Digita.../dp/B003CT2A6I

it has been stated that those puppies can also block noise emanating from dark matter also known as natural occurring terrestrial background noise that sometimes causes interference with digita video signal.....you just have to know what to look for.

and I'm sure those are not chinese made no sireeeee!!!!

and besides I owe it to my 3d free 42" Sylvania lcd.
post #15 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Now you are just being ridiculous...

The reviews on Amazon are much better.
post #16 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

then again Blue Jeans cables could have posted that article themselves to sell their hdmi cables which by the way are extremely cheap looking. It's hard to get to the very truth of it all.

at the end I've decided to purchase audioquest diamond hdmi series....it should make a drastic difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Digita.../dp/B003CT2A6I

it has been stated that those puppies can also block noise emanating from dark matter also known as natural occurring terrestrial background noise that sometimes causes interference with digita video signal.....you just have to know what to look for.

and I'm sure those are not chinese made no sireeeee!!!!

and besides I owe it to my 3d free 42" Sylvania lcd.

Means you've overpaid by 95% It's already been proven 100x expensive cables are not worth a dime more then the cheaper ones.
post #17 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

says who?

I whole heartily believe those hdmi diamonds are game changers...like they say the proof is in the pudding.

that specific series contains a tiny oscillating diamond which acts pretty much like carbon purifying water, in this case cleansing digital signal to its purest form and graphine insulated silver coated wires with platinum cores.
post #18 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

says who?

I whole heartily believe those hdmi diamonds are game changers...like they say the proof is in the pudding.

There are tons of reviews online proving otherwise. Buying expensive hdmi cables is just another way to burn money thinking your getting quality because of the price you've paid. Your not getting any better quality from a $150 cable vs $10 cable.
post #19 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yeah!! but which other hdmi cable is advanced enough to use a tiny oscillating diamond for digital purification?

it doesn't cost 2.6k for nothing!!!!!

it's like drinking Deer Park water vs tainted water
post #20 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah!! but which other hdmi cable is advanced enough to use a tiny oscillating diamond for digital purification?

Keep telling yourself that. Your just wasting your money. Whatever your into.
post #21 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also. To help you. Do a little research. Here is an article for you. There are TONS of them online. You can read the full article here.

You honestly sound like a salesmen trying to convince others to waste there money.
post #22 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Somebody please tell me that swifty7 is another one of those cable jokes that was funny the first time around, but now just a waste of our time.
post #23 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

+1
post #24 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Somebody please tell me that swifty7 is another one of those cable jokes that was funny the first time around, but now just a waste of our time.

I'm a noob deciding on what TV to buy and what cables I might need. So this isn't a good cable? Seems kinda nuts to me that just a cable should cost that much. I came to this forum for information and advice, and I see it still is a lot like some of the commercials on TV. There seems to be quite a lot of people trying to sell others on some kind of idea or equipment along with the free "helpful" advice.
post #25 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

If your looking for HDMI cables all you have to know is this. Don't pay over $20. Regardless of what anyone else tells you.
post #26 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX2011 View Post

I'm a noob deciding on what TV to buy and what cables I might need. So this isn't a good cable? Seems kinda nuts to me that just a cable should cost that much. I came to this forum for information and advice, and I see it still is a lot like some of the commercials on TV. There seems to be quite a lot of people trying to sell others on some kind of idea or equipment along with the free "helpful" advice.

If you lurk here long enough you will quickly realize that there are only 2, and only 2, types of HDMI cables to consider. And the one that will best suit your current and future needs is a Certified High Speed HDMI cable. Period. However, this is where the snake oil salesmen come into play by trying to sell you cables at unreal prices. Better made with silver/gold connectors, etc. Just pick the length you need (up to about 15'-20') and buy from someone like Monoprice, MediaBridge (that's what I have) or another reputable dealer who will show you/send you the certificate for your cable. There is absolutely no reason for someone to spend $50 or whatever for a 6' High Speed HDMI cable. It's all marketing.
post #27 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

oh! come on guys!!!!!!

I can't believe you guys are taking me seriously!!!

I'm just playing around....I thought dark matter and oscillating diamond were a dead give away. Any one who's willing to spend 2.6k for a cable needs to be put in a mental hospital. My concern was with the hdmi cables sold on ebay.

even if I was a billionaire I wouldn't buy those diamond series....I would rather give the money to the poor or a good cause.

post #28 of 30 Old 12-27-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:

oh! come one guys!!!!!!

I can't believe you guys are taking me seriously!!!

I'm just playing around....I thought dark matter and oscillating diamond were a dead give away. Any one who's willing to spend 2.6k for a cable needs to be put in a mental hospital. My concern was with the hdmi cables sold on ebay.

even if I was a billionaire I wouldn't buy those diamond series....I would rather give the money to the poor or a good cause.

Don't worry - they aren't taking you seriously. They have, however, in the past heard about little old ladies in Fiji making HDMI cables by hand and super-luminous nutrinos helping to improve the quality of the HDMI signal. So, dark matter and oscillating diamonds are just old technology here :-)
post #29 of 30 Old 12-28-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

HDMI cables by hand and super-luminous nutrinos helping to improve the quality of the HDMI signal. So, dark matter and oscillating diamonds are just old technology here :-)

But they do maintain their resale value if you want to trade up for Holodeck Certified cables
post #30 of 30 Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

My concern was with the hdmi cables sold on ebay.

With so many knock-offs sold by so many people, it's impossible to tell just from the look of it. I had a cable that looked exactly the same which I purchased from a local retailer (I worked for them at the time so I got it at cost, it was a few dollars for a 10').

Of all the HDMI cables that I've had, that particular one is the only one that fell apart when I pulled it out of the HDMI plate in the wall. The gold plated outer shield came right out of the plastic housing. The mesh jacket on the cable is just silly.

So - to answer your question: There are too many eBay sellers and too great a variety of look-alikes on eBay to say if "eBay HDMI cables" are of good quality.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page