Advice for a HDMI cable to run through a wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to run about 25-ft of HDMI cable through a wall to connect my receiver, Blu Ray, and other devices to my LCD. I figure I will get about 30-ft to be have some extra slack just in case. The cable will likely be bent a bunch while is it traveling from the components to the LCD.

1. For this type of situation, should I look for a specific gauge of cable?
2. Do I need the cable shielded or anything else?
3. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 12:25 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by candicoop View Post

I need to run about 25-ft of HDMI cable through a wall to connect my receiver, Blu Ray, and other devices to my LCD. I figure I will get about 30-ft to be have some extra slack just in case. The cable will likely be bent a bunch while is it traveling from the components to the LCD.

Thanks!

Since you are running a Blu-Ray player, you'll want a High Speed HDMI cable. The cable advertising should say the words "High Speed" and should not reference a particular version of HDMI, such as 1.4a or 1.3b.

The maximum length of HDMI cable is about 25 feet. However, if you have to have the extra 5 feet, you can get away with a wall plate and add a small amount of cable from the plate or even a high gauge Standard Speed cable at 30' should work for Blu-Ray (just leave deep color off as a precaution - it doesn't really buy you anything anyway).

Watch out for bend radius. If you crimp the cable, you broke the cable. Also be aware that many of the connectors do not like bending and will either break the connector on the cable or in the component.

Try to stay High Speed if you can for the largest amount of margin in speed.

Also, do not spend more than $2 a foot of high speed cable (maybe somewhat less on shorter cables such as 6').
Old 12-26-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:

22AWG to 24AWG.
Quote:

All HDMI cables have multiple layers of shielding.
Quote:

Stick to a reputable dealer like AV Science (the sponsor of this forum), monoprice, or Blue Jeans Cable. BJC makes some of the best cables you can get and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

You probably won't find a true high speed cable longer than 25'. Don't worry.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

1. What is the latest version of HDMI cable? 1.4a?
2. Will a slower speed make much difference in quality?
3. I'm finding some cables like this one that advertise a data transfer rate of 5 Gbps. Is that good?
http://www.amazon.com/Link-Depot-HDM...4939182&sr=1-1

Thanks!!!!!
Old 12-26-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Since I'm going to be running the cable through the wall, can anyone recommend any other cables I might want to consider running while I'm at it? Ethernet cable to connect the TV? Something else?
Old 12-26-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. What is the latest version of HDMI cable? 1.4a?

Version numbers are no longer allowed to be used with HDMI cables. There are standard cables and high speed cables, with or without ethernet. Ethernet is kind of irrelevant because there are no devices that support it at this time.
Quote:

2. Will a slower speed make much difference in quality?

Standard cables are certified to support up to 1080i and 720p, but will typically support higher bit rates. High speed cables are certified to support any HDMI signal. A good standard cable at the distance you have will support 1080p60 and 1080p24 3D. FWIW a single cable can have both ratings say high speed up to 25' and standard up to 45'. In general, the longer a particular type of cable is, the lower the bit rate it can support.
Quote:

3. I'm finding some cables like this one that advertise a data transfer rate of 5 Gbps.

That is about half what a high speed cable is certified for. IIWY I would ignore any advertised bit rates that exceed the 10Gbps maximum rate of a high speed HDMI cable. There is no industry standard for them.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...any other cables I might want to consider running while I'm at it?

Other possibilities include one or two Cat 5/5e/6 cables for an HDMI extender in case the HDMI cable doesn't work out for you or your needs change down the line, coax for a cable, satellite, or antenna feed, wiring for an IR repeater, phone line, power, etc. Power, of course, requires a good knowledge of what you are doing.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

1. Should I consider getting one of the cables with ethernet to attempt to future proof it?

2. If some cables promote themselves as having 1.3 and others as 1.4, than isn't it still a better idea to get the 1.4 or does it not make a difference?

3. Any opinions on this one I am not looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/GTMax-GOLD-PLA...4941948&sr=8-3

Thanks!!!!!
Old 12-26-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:

1. Should I consider getting one of the cables with ethernet to attempt to future proof it?

2. If some cables promote themselves as having 1.3 and others as 1.4, than isn't it still a better idea to get the 1.4 or does it not make a difference?

http://www.amazon.com/GTMax-GOLD-PLA...4941948&sr=8-3

Thanks!!!!!

1. You can - it isn't going to hurt (except a few dollars more).

2. None of that matters. The only thing that matters is High Speed or Standard Speed. In fact, I try to stay away from cables that push the version number since we know they aren't supposed to do that.

3. That may be a little too good to be true. I'd want to see the high speed certificate from the manufacturer or at least some trusted reviews that said the cable actually works at high speed. I noticed one of the three I looked at on Amazon claimed the HDMI cable had "HDMI1.47 compliance". Then again at the price listed, you are not losing much if it doesn't work. Not sure if you are through a wall or in-wall. My answer would change if you were in-wall where it isn't easy to replace to HDMI cable if you find it doesn't work for high speeds.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wouldn't hurt.
Quote:

There is absolutely no difference between a cable produced to the 1.3 specification and the 1.4 specification unless it supports ethernet.
Quote:

No opinion at all. My advice is to buy from a reputable dealer. What is it about questionable cables from Amazon and eBay that attracts so many people when cables are available form reputable dealers at similar prices?
Old 12-26-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Only reason I was going through Amazon was I was trying to use Amazon Prime to overnight a cable. If going through a dealer is better, I will do that.

What type of devices might use ethernet over HDMI? Does this mean you could use the cable to connect the TV to the web? What other devices might use it?

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What type of devices might use ethernet over HDMI?.

The idea behind ethernet over HDMI was that you would only have to connect an ethernet cable to one device in your AV system. So far, seems like a non-starter. I haven't seen any devices that support it. AV devices that require an ethernet connection just have a normal 8P8C connector which they would have to have even if the device supported ethernet over HDMI. Examples are anything that lets you download firmware updates over the internet and devices that can stream content over the internet like some TVs and BD players, stand-alone devices like Roku, and IP-based cable boxes.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm now looking to buy from monoprice

I want to get this right since it is going through a wall. I am trying to decide between these two 25-ft cables and I'm not quite sure what the difference is, other than the more expensive one says it is silver plated. This will go from my receiver to my TV.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Because of something called skin effect. at the frequencies involved with HDMI, most of the electrical current runs close to the surface of the wire. Silver is a slightly better conductor than copper, so the signal sees slightly less resistance and theoretically can remain usable for a longer distance. It this case, it is hardly significant. Both the cables are certified high speed and good for any HDMI signal you can send down them.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Old 12-26-2011, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all of your help -- especially Colm!!!

I just ordered the silver plated one from monoprice.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:13 AM

hi,

you can use This HDMI EXTENDER TO CAT-5E/6 CABLE
HDMI EXTENDER{BY CAT-5E/6 CABLE USES TWO PIECES OF CAT-5E/6 CABLE TO EXTEND THE HDTV DISPLAY UP TO 30 MTR FOR 1080P
Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipparage View Post

hi,

you can use This HDMI EXTENDER TO CAT-5E/6 CABLE
HDMI EXTENDER{BY CAT-5E/6 CABLE USES TWO PIECES OF CAT-5E/6 CABLE TO EXTEND THE HDTV DISPLAY UP TO 30 MTR FOR 1080P

May it serve you well...

First welcome to the AVSForum. Despite what I am about to write, you should join in the discussions and hopefully exchange information about AV.

However when you append there are some simple things you can avoid that was evident in your first append. Try to append to current links unless you have something that is truly unique and helpful. The last append on this thread was nearly 6 months ago. The original poster (the OP) had already received an answer and then ordered a cable based on it. And, finally putting the words " HDMI EXTENDER TO CAT-5E/6 CABLE..." without a link doesn't really help anyone. Now, I understand that you can't place a link in an append until you have 5 posts, but this could have waited.

But, keep reading and hopefully you'll be able to help other AVSForum members soon.

User Tag List