Not just another "Monster Cable Vs." Thread... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Sorry about this. I'm in the middle of planning my first real home theater setup. The receiver and speakers are on their way, but now I need to connect everything. I was originally going with a Blue Jeans cable 25' HDMI to connect the receiver to the TV (Through the wall), but I stumbled across a 35' Monster "THX 1000" cable on sale for $100.

I know people feel monster is over priced, but this seemed like a decent deal. 35' might be a bit more than I really need, but it will allow me to move my system around some, and give me a little more wiggle room.

So, given that the Monster cable is just $13 more than Blue Jeans, should I buy it over the other?

And will using a 35' cable have any ill effects really??? It's supposedly THX certified (which I know is a gimmick... but it still gets me wondering)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzygone View Post

Hey guys,

Sorry about this. I'm in the middle of planning my first real home theater setup. The receiver and speakers are on their way, but now I need to connect everything. I was originally going with a Blue Jeans cable 25' HDMI to connect the receiver to the TV (Through the wall), but I stumbled across a 35' Monster "THX 1000" cable on sale for $100.

I know people feel monster is over priced, but this seemed like a decent deal. 35' might be a bit more than I really need, but it will allow me to move my system around some, and give me a little more wiggle room.

So, given that the Monster cable is just $13 more than Blue Jeans, should I buy it over the other?

And will using a 35' cable have any ill effects really??? It's supposedly THX certified (which I know is a gimmick... but it still gets me wondering)

Where did you find this marvelous deal? Many Monster ebay items are counterfeit supposedly (not actual Monster cable). So be warned, if it isn't a Monster dealer charging outrageous prices, it could be counterfeit.

Also at 35' you'll be getting a standard speed cable and not a high speed cable. So, while it might be able to handle 3D and 1080p/60, it will not be able to handle future specifications that use more of the high speed bandwidth.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I found it at the big online audio video retailer that begins with a "c", and ends with "field"...

It's been awhile since I read the rules to the forum, so I wasnt sure if I could mention the actual name.

I went ahead and ordered it anyways, only because the last few deals went quick there.

I can always return it for the Blue Jeans Cable.

Now if the cable still is advertised as ultra high speed, does that not mean the 35 foot cable can handle high speed???
post #4 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:

I found it at the big online audio video retailer that begins with a "c", and ends with "field"...

It's been awhile since I read the rules to the forum, so I wasnt sure if I could mention the actual name.

I went ahead and ordered it anyways, only because the last few deals went quick there.

Now if the cable still is advertised as ultra high speed, does that not mean the 35 foot cable can handle high speed???

Does it come with a certificate and is "ultra high speed" defined?
post #5 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing wrong with Monster cables except the price and how they advertise IMHO. If you can get one at a reasonable price and that is what you want, go for it. Just don't expect better performance. If you don't get sparkles or worse with a cheap, generic cable, you won't get a better picture with Monster or anything else. The longest length Monster cable I have seen certified high speed by an ATC is 25', just like everybody else's.

FWIW the Blue Jeans Cable Series 1 and Series FE are arguably some of the best HDMI cables you can buy at any price for the simple fact that they use Belden bonded-pair cable that controls geometry better than most other cables. Geometry affects things like impedance and skew which ultimately affect the performance of the cable. But even these cables will not give you a better picture than a $3 no-name cable if you aren't getting sparkles or worse with the latter.

Using a 35' foot cable where a 25' cable will do will reduce the maximum bandwidth you can run reliably. That 25' BJC high speed cable will support any bit rate defined under current HDMI specification. The 35' standard Monster cable will support something less, at least according to the official testing procedures. They tend to be conservative and we can often do better in real life. In any case, it should be good enough to handle the resolutions commonly in use today, including 1080p60 and 1080p24 3D, with some headroom. It might not be good enough for 1080p60 3D.

I will disagree with our cynical friend about monorpice, BJC, etc. Yes, they advertised here. But the recommendations you see in these forums are based on user experience with the companies and their products. Monoprice is a reliable seller of generic cables at a good price. BJC sells some of the best HDMI cables available at very reasonable prices, and also has generic cables at prices similar to monoprice. No need ever to pay more than what BJC Series 1 or Series FE cables cost. Of course, there are other reliable sellers, some of which have already been mentioned in this thread. And if you are buying Monster from Crutchfield, they are likely the real thing.

If you need wiggle room, you can get a longer BJC cable as well. It just won't be certified high speed. But the Monster cable isn't either. FWIW I would buy the BJC Series 1 in the appropriate length. There is not much difference in price and it is technically a better cable, not that I think you will notice a difference in performance, though.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I think you're allowed to say Crutchfield (at least I hope you are after writing it).

No, ultra high speed doesn't mean it can handle High Speed. A high speed certification is the only thing that actually guarantees high speed.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the eloquent and coherent posts, alk3997 and Colm. Hopefully our friend will take it to heart and leave this area for those who really want help, advice, and guidance. Hope you and yours have a save and happy New Year's
post #8 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the help.

Yes, it was crutchfield, I just know some forums don't like you to say the name of companies that aren't sponsors.

I only have a 2D capable plasma now, so it sounds like I'll be fine with what I purchased with monster. I've bought Monoprice before, and have been satisfied with the results, but the wife doesn't like where the current av cabinet is. My current Monoprice cable is 15 foot (3 of them in all... I had a home theatre in a box with no hdmi input), but from what I have read, longer runs should get a higher quality cable.

I figured the higher quality Belkin cable was a good choice for the longer distance given what I've read on here, but when I saw the monster cable, I just figured for an extra 10 bucks, I'd get that.

But now I guess I'll review Crutchfield and blue jeans return policy, and maybe I'll buy both. I'd feel better buying the shorter length if I can get away with it.

Anyways, thanks again for the input. I guess this did kind of turn out to be another BJC vs monster thread. I apologize!
post #9 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...the higher quality Belkin cable...

If you are referring to BJC, it is Belden, not Belkin. They are two different companies. Belden is an old line manufacturer of high quality cable stock. Belkin is a CE manufacturer. Belkin cables are run of the mill cables similar in quality to monoprice and BJC's Tartan line. Belden also makes and sells HDMI cables. BJC Series 1 and Series FE cables are manufacturer by BJC using custom Belden manufactured cable stock, but are not the same as Belden cables. Belden doesn't use the same cable stock in their HDMI cables.

I don't think it turned into a Monster v. others thread. Either should do you just fine. Nobody said anything bad about Monster cables, just the way they market them.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

If you are referring to BJC, it is Belden, not Belkin. They are two different companies. Belden is an old line manufacturer of high quality cable stock. Belkin is a CE manufacturer. Belkin cables are run of the mill cables similar in quality to monoprice and BJC's Tartan line. Belden also makes and sells HDMI cables. BJC Series 1 and Series FE cables are manufacturer by BJC using custom Belden manufactured cable stock, but are not the same as Belden cables. Belden doesn't use the same cable stock in their HDMI cables.

I don't think it turned into a Monster v. others thread. Either should do you just fine.

Sorry. Typing on my phone from work. Belden is what I meant. Damn auto-correct!
post #11 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Damn auto-correct!

Ain't that the truth...
post #12 of 16 Old 12-29-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

The HDMI cable from Monster showed up today. So where would this high-speed certificate be?
post #13 of 16 Old 12-29-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The HDMI cable from Monster showed up today. So where would this high-speed certificate be?

It should have been in the box unless you have to ask for it specifically, or you should be able to download the appropriate certificate from Monster, "certificate available upon request". I would have thought that what Monster charges for cables they would have included the certificate.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-29-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

It should have been in the box unless you have to ask for it specifically, or you should be able to download the appropriate certificate from Monster, "certificate available upon request". I would have thought that what Monster charges for cables they would have included the certificate.

It very well may be in the box... I just didn't open it! I'll email them with the model number and maybe they can tell me.

I don't want to open it right now if I know I'm just going to return it.

I just wasn't sure if there'd be some sort of mark on the packaging itself...
post #15 of 16 Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

You aren't going to get a ATC certificate from Monster that certifies a 35' passive cable as high speed. The longest Simplay Labs certified it high speed was 25'.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-29-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

You aren't going to get a ATC certificate from Monster that certifies a 35' passive cable as high speed. The longest Simplay Labs certified it high speed was 25'.

I must have missed that post where he was ordering a 35' cable. Oh well...
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page