blacking out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-27-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a flat cable on monoprice to run through my wall a few months ago.

I was having some trouble with my AVR (which I thought was handshaking) but when I connected straight from cable box to TV I find I have the same issue. The screen turns black or doesn't show signal. unplugging and replugging the cable fixes it, but its such a hassle to have to get up and mess with cords when it worked fine when i powered the devices down.

So i'm wondering..

since i have a tv that isn't up to 1.4 standards and a cable that is, could that cause the issue? would a software update on the tv fix it?

or is it likely an issue with the cable itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-27-2011, 10:24 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoezz View Post

I bought a flat cable on monoprice to run through my wall a few months ago.

I was having some trouble with my AVR (which I thought was handshaking) but when I connected straight from cable box to TV I find I have the same issue. The screen turns black or doesn't show signal. unplugging and replugging the cable fixes it, but its such a hassle to have to get up and mess with cords when it worked fine when i powered the devices down.

So i'm wondering..

since i have a tv that isn't up to 1.4 standards and a cable that is, could that cause the issue? would a software update on the tv fix it?

or is it likely an issue with the cable itself?

No. There is no such thing as a 1.4 cable. That has been pointed out in a few threads here.

There are high speed cables and standard speed cables. There is the option to have Ethernet with either cable, although this is so far a non-starter option since no one seems to be implementing it in their equipment.

Yes, you likely have a cable issue and make sure your AVR is setup to passthru and not change the resolution. However, without knowing the cable length and what resolution you are trying to use (and whether deep color is enabled), it's hard to tell what exactly the problem is.

Try setting your cable box to 1080i and make sure deep color is off (if it is even an option). Also make sure all of your firmware is up to date.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-27-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I purchased the 15ft version of this exact cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

My AVR is in the shop right now for a protection mode error, so I can't configure that yet, but getting it to work with the tv alone should be a little easier to troubleshoot anyway.

I'm not even sure how to change the color settings or resolution on my cable box so I'm sure it is whatever the default is. I'll try to google a manual on it and post results.

Thanks!
post #4 of 4 Old 12-27-2011, 12:57 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoezz View Post

I purchased the 15ft version of this exact cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

My AVR is in the shop right now for a protection mode error, so I can't configure that yet, but getting it to work with the tv alone should be a little easier to troubleshoot anyway.

I'm not even sure how to change the color settings or resolution on my cable box so I'm sure it is whatever the default is. I'll try to google a manual on it and post results.

Thanks!

For testing, just make sure you aren't on 1080p. That should provide a good clue for trouble-shooting.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page