HDMI signal from Wii works when connecting directly, but not via HDMI switch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-27-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried my best to find an answer on the net and on this forum, but didn't. So here goes:

I bought this HDMI converter for the Wii signal via eBay. (Ofcourse, it doesn't convert the analog signal to a top-notch HD signal, but it's supposed to enable using a HDMI switch to connect all my devices via a single HDMI cable to my beamer.) This works when I connect my beamer to it directly. However, I'm quite surprised that the Wii signal doesn't come through when I connect it to a HDMI switch (the Marmitek Connect 411).

How can it be that when connected via this switch, the visual image isn't shown by my beamer, but when connected directly it does? The HDMI cable is tested with other devices and the same holds for that particular port on the switch.

The Wii 2 HDMI converter I'm using:

My beamer is the Epson TW-6000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschopman View Post

I tried my best to find an answer on the net and on this forum, but didn't. So here goes:

I bought this HDMI converter for the Wii signal via eBay. (Ofcourse, it doesn't convert the analog signal to a top-notch HD signal, but it's supposed to enable using a HDMI switch to connect all my devices via a single HDMI cable to my beamer.) This works when I connect my beamer to it directly. However, I'm quite surprised that the Wii signal doesn't come through when I connect it to a HDMI switch (the Marmitek Connect 411).

How can it be that when connected via this switch, the visual image isn't shown by my beamer, but when connected directly it does? The HDMI cable is tested with other devices and the same holds for that particular port on the switch.

The Wii 2 HDMI converter I'm using:

My beamer is the Epson TW-6000.

My first thought was that the switch doesn't support 480i and the Wii converter is sending out 480i. However, further review shows that the Wii converter should be sending out 480p. Have you selected 480p in the Wii setup?

My other thought is that somehow the switch can't handle sources without HDCP. I would think the Wii converter wouldn't send HDCP - at least I see no indication that it does in the documentation and the HDMI license does not require it to do so as a 480p component converter.

Unfortunately I know of no easy way to test that theory. The only thing you could do is ask the various manufacturers if HDCP is included or what happens if HDCP is not included.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-30-2011, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
It's not that unusual to find everything works' on a direct connection when using a converter but doesn't work when going through any sort of Switch/Repeater device.

How long is the HDMI cable from the wii2HDMI converter to the HDMI Switch?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #4 of 6 Old 12-31-2011, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
There's a cable of 0.7m between de Wii(2HDMI) and the HDMI switch. The label on the wrapping said "HDMI with Ethernet" and was recently purchased. I use a long cable to both connect both the HDMI switch and the Wii (directly) to the projector. This cable is 4m long and works great.
(The Wii works when I use this long cable to connect it directly to the projector. Four other devices (2 consoles and 2 PC's) connected via the HDMI switch also work using this cable, i.e. the long cable connects the HDMI switch to the projector.)

I'm looking into HDCP, Digital Content Protection. Isn't it weird that the Wii does work when connected directly, but doesn't via the HDMI switch, since four other devices do function via this switch? Could this problem really be caused by HDCP?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-31-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I can't image this being an HDCP issue and your cable runs are pretty standard.!

Like Andy I suspect the converter is not putting out a signal the Switch supports - there are many underlying variables that could be slightly 'off' that could be causing the Switch to not recognise the converted signal.

Anyone familiar with using the likes of a DVDO or Lumagen Video Processor will tell you that very minor changes to various signal parameters can result in a signal or no signal during the installation/setup of these type of devices.

Your problem is the converter has no user adjustments.

You may want to search for an HDMI Switch with YUV and VGA Inputs that will convert and pass the Wii signal successfully!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #6 of 6 Old 12-31-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
BUT the OP didn't answer Andy's "direct question"... did they ensure that they have selected 480P output on their WII?????

Further, from my experience, this is easier said than done depending on WII cabling preventing the selection of 480p... :-( Note: they have to be COMPONENT cables... :-)... what the heck does a WII2HDMI "thing" think it is in terms of cabling????
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page