Questions about Mini HDMI vs HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-27-2011, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I purchased a 42' Panasonic ST30 Plasma TV and I will receive it tomorrow. I will be hooking up my two Windows 7 PC's to the Plasma using HDMI.

My new PC has an HDMI port but the older PC doesn't, only DVI. I bought an Nvidia EVGA 460 Video Card for the HDMI and I installed it in the PC.

I found out that it has Mini HDMI and that I need either an adapter or a straight mini HDMI to HDMI Cable.

The Video Card came with the adapter but I was concerned that the adapter would degrade picture quality, is this true?

Should I buy a straight Mini HDMI to HDMI Cable? Would it support 3d?

Is there any picture quality or audio differences between Mini HDMI or HDMI?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuy05 View Post

Hi,

I purchased a 42' Panasonic ST30 Plasma TV and I will receive it tomorrow. I will be hooking up my two Windows 7 PC's to the Plasma using HDMI.

My new PC has an HDMI port but the older PC doesn't, only DVI. I bought an Nvidia EVGA 460 Video Card for the HDMI and I installed it in the PC.

I found out that it has Mini HDMI and that I need either an adapter or a straight mini HDMI to HDMI Cable.

The Video Card came with the adapter but I was concerned that the adapter would degrade picture quality, is this true?

Should I buy a straight Mini HDMI to HDMI Cable? Would it support 3d?

Is there any picture quality or audio differences between Mini HDMI or HDMI?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Everything being equal, the mini-to-standard HDMI cable will not degrade your signal. The signal is digital. A DVI-to-HDMI adapter will also not degrade the signal.

The reason I qualified it above is there is likely a little loss of distance when using the adapter. So if you're pushing the length (greater than 25 feet for instance) you might start to pick-up bit errors. But, you'll know if you do - they'll be obvious artifacts in the picture not subtle things like the color being off or the picture dimmer. Best way to find out if you have bit errors is to try the adapter and find out. Like I said, any problems will be obvious (sparkles, lines, single color screens, no picture).

You can also buy a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable - just make sure it is a "high speed" (should say those words) cable to support 3D.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-27-2011, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks so much for the help! . My older PC is just a few feet from where my TV will be so the cable I will need would be about 6 feet or less.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-27-2011, 10:30 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuy05 View Post

Thanks so much for the help! . My older PC is just a few feet from where my TV will be so the cable I will need would be about 6 feet or less.

You're fine with the converter. If you want to be ultra-sure, use an HDMI cable that is certified to be a high speed cable. Really, the best advice is to try your cable first and see if it works. No harm in that.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-28-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 268
My son has a MacBookPro and he uses a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable when he wants to play some games on the LCD and it looks (and sounds) just fine. I've even seen him doing his chemistry homework which is kinda cool looking on the tv.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page