PS3 and Sony S550 switched and split to Panny 60ST30 TV and HDMI 1.1 receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2011, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to connect my Sony S550 and my PS3 to a switch / splitter so I can chose either of the S550 or PS3 and output video to my Panasonic 60ST30 3D TV and audio to my Marantz SR 9600 receiver (HDMI 1.1). What can I use to do this?

I was looking at one of these from mono-price:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...#specification

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

I don't need a matrix device. I will also eventually replace the Sony S550 with something like the Oppo 93 (dual HDMI outputs)...but for the time being at least, I am using the above two devices and won't replace my HDMI 1.1 Marantz SR 9600 any time soon. I want to be able to play 3D BD and games on my PS3 and output the 3D video from my PS3 to the TV and the HD audio from the PS3 to my receiver. I also want to be able to output the video from my Sony S550 BD player to my TV and the audio from the S550 to my receiver, and I want to use HDMI so I can perform DPL IIx on 5.1 HD audio to get 7.1. The S550 allows me full HD 7.1 with analog connection since my receiver is only HDMI 1.1 I can't send it 7.1 LPCM from the PS3.

Do I need something to deal with the fact that my SR 9600 is not 3D compatible? Do I have to deal with EDID and/or some HDMI detective?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 09:54 AM

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

I want to connect my Sony S550 and my PS3 to a switch / splitter so I can chose either of the S550 or PS3 and output video to my Panasonic 60ST30 3D TV and audio to my Marantz SR 9600 receiver (HDMI 1.1). What can I use to do this?

I was looking at one of these from mono-price:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...#specification

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

I don't need a matrix device. I will also eventually replace the Sony S550 with something like the Oppo 93 (dual HDMI outputs)...but for the time being at least, I am using the above two devices and won't replace my HDMI 1.1 Marantz SR 9600 any time soon. I want to be able to play 3D BD and games on my PS3 and output the 3D video from my PS3 to the TV and the HD audio from the PS3 to my receiver. I also want to be able to output the video from my Sony S550 BD player to my TV and the audio from the S550 to my receiver, and I want to use HDMI so I can perform DPL IIx on 5.1 HD audio to get 7.1. The S550 allows me full HD 7.1 with analog connection since my receiver is only HDMI 1.1 I can't send it 7.1 LPCM from the PS3.

Do I need something to deal with the fact that my SR 9600 is not 3D compatible? Do I have to deal with EDID and/or some HDMI detective?

The last paragraph of your question makes me think you already know the answer but are hoping someone will come up with an alternative.

The EDID and that HDMI only sends out one video and one audio signal are going to get in your way.

If you get a simple switch then the EDID will be the lowest common denominator so all devices will get stereo and non-3D output. This is the reason that the BDP-93 has independent HDMI outputs, as you pointed out. With the setup you are proposing, the TV is stereo so both outputs get stereo and the Marantz is non-3D, so no outputs will get 3D.

The HDMI detective might work but the problem there is you'll need a device that has both 3D and multichannel audio to capture a valid EDID. Your setup does not contain this. Your other problem is that when a 3D movie is shown, your receiver will not "know" where the audio is located in the stream, so you won't have receiver audio.

Unfortunately the PS3 does not have multichannel audio analog outputs. However, if you're willing to live with SPDI/F (Toslink) Dolby Digital / DTS outputs, the digital audio output port could be used instead for receiver audio. Then all you have to do is solve the 3D video output, which the HDMI detective should be able to do.

Short of that I think you either need a new receiver or a matrix switch that can spoof the EDID parameters.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Gotcha. Thanks.

Bummer. I wasn't sure how the EDID stuff works. I guess I will look into the switches some more. I hardly play games, so I have a feeling I may get the urge to ditch the PS3 in favour of the Oppo 93. My goal is to use HD audio either via multi-channel analog inputs or HDMI. I already have the issue that I can't get 7.1 HD audio over HDMI to play on my Marantz SR 9600 receiver, and so the PS3 is an obstacle that way, but, for 3D movies, be they 5.1/6.1 or 7.1 I figured I could just send HD audio over HDMI and do DPL IIx to get 7.1 if I really wanted 7.1. If the title is 7.1, I suppose I have to allow it to be down-mixed to 5.1 in the PS3 either by way of setup in the S550 or hopefully chosing a 5.1 soundtrack.

If I have an Oppo 93, I can send HDMI 3D video to the Panasonic TV AND multi-channel HDMI audio to my HDMI 1.1 Marantz SR 9600 receiver without issues? The Marantz SR9600 is only HDMI 1.1 but it works for 5.1 LPCM. In using the Oppo 93 I can always rely on the multi-channel analog audio outputs unless the DAC's in the Oppo are greatly inferior to the good one's in the SR 9600, which I doubt. I have been using the DAC's and multi-channel output of my Sony S550, and though I am sure they aren't the best, they don't seem bad. I am sure the DAC's of the Oppo 93 are at least as good or better than the one's in the Sony S550 anyways. One issue would be if I want to perform DPL IIx on a 5.1 signal from a BD. I could try to send 5.1 audio over HDMI from the Oppo 93 to the SR 9600 and do DPL IIx there, or, I wonder if the Oppo 93 can do DPL IIx on a 5.1 HD signal. I know the Marantz can, as I have already tried. I know performing DPL IIx on an HD signal sounds "un-HD" but it's still something I want to be able to do, so at least I can try it and see what it's like.

So I guess if I want to keep using what I've got, I'd need to find a 3D compatible switch AND 3D compatible splitter, or a Matrix switch that allows simutaneous output (although I'll only be using video on one and audio on the other)...and some sort of EDID spoofing. Maybe I should just sell my Sony S550 AND PS3 and put the money towards the Oppo 93 ...
Old 12-29-2011, 10:54 AM

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Gotcha. Thanks.

Bummer. I wasn't sure how the EDID stuff works. I guess I will look into the switches some more. I hardly play games, so I have a feeling I may get the urge to ditch the PS3 in favour of the Oppo 93. My goal is to use HD audio either via multi-channel analog inputs or HDMI. I already have the issue that I can't get 7.1 HD audio over HDMI to play on my Marantz SR 9600 receiver, and so the PS3 is an obstacle that way, but, for 3D movies, be they 5.1/6.1 or 7.1 I figured I could just send HD audio over HDMI and do DPL IIx to get 7.1 if I really wanted 7.1. If the title is 7.1, I suppose I have to allow it to be down-mixed to 5.1 in the PS3 either by way of setup in the S550 or hopefully chosing a 5.1 soundtrack.

If I have an Oppo 93, I can send HDMI 3D video to the Panasonic TV AND multi-channel HDMI audio to my HDMI 1.1 Marantz SR 9600 receiver without issues? The Marantz SR9600 is only HDMI 1.1 but it works for 5.1 LPCM. In using the Oppo 93 I can always rely on the multi-channel analog audio outputs unless the DAC's in the Oppo are greatly inferior to the good one's in the SR 9600, which I doubt. I have been using the DAC's and multi-channel output of my Sony S550, and though I am sure they aren't the best, they don't seem bad. I am sure the DAC's of the Oppo 93 are at least as good or better than the one's in the Sony S550 anyways. One issue would be if I want to perform DPL IIx on a 5.1 signal from a BD. I could try to send 5.1 audio over HDMI from the Oppo 93 to the SR 9600 and do DPL IIx there, or, I wonder if the Oppo 93 can do DPL IIx on a 5.1 HD signal. I know the Marantz can, as I have already tried. I know performing DPL IIx on an HD signal sounds "un-HD" but it's still something I want to be able to do, so at least I can try it and see what it's like.

So I guess if I want to keep using what I've got, I'd need to find a 3D compatible switch AND 3D compatible splitter, or a Matrix switch that allows simutaneous output (although I'll only be using video on one and audio on the other)...and some sort of EDID spoofing. Maybe I should just sell my Sony S550 AND PS3 and put the money towards the Oppo 93 ...

Yes, lots of choices that unfortunately all require money.

There are a number of matrix switches that will do what you want but all are over $200 with the EDID manipulation.

On the BDP-93, you could hook up both the analog 7.1 outputs and the HDMI and that way you can choose based on the source material. The BDP-93 also has a cousin - the BDP-95 which has even higher quality DACs, which costs more, of course. I'm quite happy with the BDP-93 DACs although I use DenonLink from a Denon DVD-Audio player for critical listening. However, doing A/B comparisons between DVD-Audio player and the BDP-93 (which has DVD-Audio capability) is very very very similar in audio output.

Sorry I couldn't think of a cheaper solution.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Yes, lots of choices that unfortunately all require money.

There are a number of matrix switches that will do what you want but all are over $200 with the EDID manipulation.

On the BDP-93, you could hook up both the analog 7.1 outputs and the HDMI and that way you can choose based on the source material. The BDP-93 also has a cousin - the BDP-95 which has even higher quality DACs, which costs more, of course. I'm quite happy with the BDP-93 DACs although I use DenonLink from a Denon DVD-Audio player for critical listening. However, doing A/B comparisons between DVD-Audio player and the BDP-93 (which has DVD-Audio capability) is very very very similar in audio output.

Sorry I couldn't think of a cheaper solution.

Actually, I think it's going to be the way I want to go eventually anyhow. A region free 93 would be very useful to me. I don't even play games much so I may let the PS3 go. Who knows. I asked the Oppo 93 owners about the same issue, and they echo your last comment. I should not have any issues with sending a 3D TV the 3D video and HD audio on HDMI to my receiver. Also curious about other things to do with the Oppo. Thanks for your helpful feedback. You can add your feedback to the other thread I started in the Oppo owners thread if there is anything else you can add there. Darn it! I must spend more money! Arrgghhh!