Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 143 Old 01-31-2014, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Yes, it works exactly as you are seeing. The AVR replaces the audio portion of the EDID with its own specification. On DENON receivers there is an option in the menu that essentially tells the receiver whether or not to replace the EDID. It isn't labeled that way, but that's really what is happening. It's actually labeled HDMI Amp or TV audio.

OK
The matrix switch (Key Digital 8x4)is installed and seems to be functioning well.
I got the Apple TV, the U-Verse box, and the Mac Mini all hooked up and switching seamlessly between three zones.
The problem is the Pioneer Elite Blu-ray Player refuses to sync with the switch.
It's input sync light on the matrix remains dark while the other inputs all function.
The BDP works when I plug it directly into my AVR but the matrix switch refuses to recognize it.
I've tried using the AVR's EDID and a few from the matrix' internal library.
Any ideas?
Are Blu-ray signals harder to read than ATV, Computer or TV?
I'm having a hard time figuring out why
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 143 Old 01-31-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Does your key digital 8 x 4 have all Hdmi i/o? Model number?
I also have sync issues for my switch, when both projectors are on or when one is turned on after the other is turned off.
In my situation, 1st projector is connected directly to Hdmi switch. Second is via Hdmi receiver.
I have to toggle the Hdmi inputs on receiver to get it to sync. I don't think it is the fault of the switch.
post #123 of 143 Old 02-01-2014, 05:32 AM

The switch is a Key Digital KD-8x4CS all HDMI Matrix switch. I have three other inputs which sync just fine no matter which of my three outputs I currently have selected.
I also swapped inputs to insure that that particular input (3) wasn't defective and it synced right up to the Apple TV so at the moment it doesn't appear to be an obvious hardware issue.
I'm hoping I can stumble on a setting but still... I have dual outputs on the BDP and currently have one hooked to the AVR directly and the other to the switch (and then back to the AVR as an input) as a test.
The switch won't sync with the BDP but the AVR evidently will.
I suppose I could have a defective cable to the switch but its new and it'll be a PIA to check as its 15' away.
Thats my only long cable.
post #124 of 143 Old 02-01-2014, 07:41 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgaiduk View Post

The switch is a Key Digital KD-8x4CS all HDMI Matrix switch. I have three other inputs which sync just fine no matter which of my three outputs I currently have selected.
I also swapped inputs to insure that that particular input (3) wasn't defective and it synced right up to the Apple TV so at the moment it doesn't appear to be an obvious hardware issue.
I'm hoping I can stumble on a setting but still... I have dual outputs on the BDP and currently have one hooked to the AVR directly and the other to the switch (and then back to the AVR as an input) as a test.
The switch won't sync with the BDP but the AVR evidently will.
I suppose I could have a defective cable to the switch but its new and it'll be a PIA to check as its 15' away.
Thats my only long cable.

My first question is why do you think this is an EDID problem with the BDP? The EDID travels from sink to source. So, the BDP would be receiving the EDID.

When you say you were changing the AVR's EDID, what do you mean? Do you mean you were selecting between audio for TV or Amp?

Actually, if you can't get any signal at all, it implies that there may be an issue with HDCP more than EDID. If it is EDID, then it would be because the TV or the AVR is providing a list of acceptable resolutions or audio settings that the Pioneer BDP can't provide. Remember with EDID you have to think backwards - it's the sink setting the source.

And, yes, 15' of cable is long enough to cause a problem if it is not a certified High Speed cable or a very thick gauge. If you don't want to move the BDP player temporarily closer, your only other choice is to temporarily run a known good cable. If it is a cable problem, that would be much easier to fix than a firmware problem and you wouldn't waste time trying to find a problem in the firmware that isn't there.

If your BDP is sending 1080p (which it likely is) and your other devices are 1080i, that would be a significant amount of bandwidth difference which could cause the other devices to work and the BDP not to work.
post #125 of 143 Old 02-01-2014, 10:11 AM

Hmmm. Everything is 1080p
I even tried changing the BDP output from Auto to 1080p.
If my other devices have no Hdcp issue is it possible that my BDP alone might?
And the fact remains that my AVR still sees and passes the signal
post #126 of 143 Old 02-01-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Andy must be sleeping... :-) he forgot to suggest checking / turning off deep color settings. Further as a test, set the output to 720p on your player and see if that helps any and go from there.
post #127 of 143 Old 02-01-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

Andy must be sleeping... :-) he forgot to suggest checking / turning off deep color settings. Further as a test, set the output to 720p on your player and see if that helps any and go from there.

You are absolutely correct (possibly on both the cause and effect biggrin.gif )
post #128 of 143 Old 02-01-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgaiduk View Post

Hmmm. Everything is 1080p
I even tried changing the BDP output from Auto to 1080p.
If my other devices have no Hdcp issue is it possible that my BDP alone might?
And the fact remains that my AVR still sees and passes the signal

Yes, since each device gets its own key. There could be something in the handshake that the switcher is not performing correctly or the BDP player doesn't recognize the response being sent by the switcher. It's a good question for Key Digital (since the BDP works with everything but the switcher). This could be another interface problem where the there are issues between two specific items but neither is "wrong" - they just don't work well together.

Anyway, I really think you should try a different cable before proceeding with any other troubleshooting. A 15 foot high speed HDMI cable should run you about $15.

Also make sure your Pioneer Elite BDP has the latest firmware.
post #129 of 143 Old 02-02-2014, 06:14 AM

A lesson To All.
It was a BAD HDMI CABLE brand new out of the package.
Thanks for all the feedback anyway.
I'll check that sooner next time.
post #130 of 143 Old 02-02-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:

I think I had "bad cable" for the answer a few days ago. So, I wasn't sleeping too too much smile.gif
post #131 of 143 Old 02-02-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

:-) maybe the testing could have been done in HIS sleep. Certainly replacing equipment / cables can work too and he got to learn a lesson at the same time... :-)
post #132 of 143 Old 02-03-2014, 04:28 AM

Ya I was resisting because I had to take apart half my kit, disturb my neat wiring job, physically move the matrix switch from the equipment closet 15 feet to near the bdp and cobble together a new temporary hdmi feed to the avr. Everything is semi-built-in and I have lots of concealed cabling but hey it sure looks and works great when it's done.
Lesson learned.
post #133 of 143 Old 02-03-2014, 05:17 AM

I think there is a "Murphy's Law" about that - the failed component will be always be the one most difficult to replace or repair.

Not quite as good as Hoot's first law ("There is no situation that is so bad that it can't be made worse") but just as true.
post #134 of 143 Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

Does your key digital 8 x 4 have all Hdmi i/o? Model number?
I also have sync issues for my switch, when both projectors are on or when one is turned on after the other is turned off.
In my situation, 1st projector is connected directly to Hdmi switch. Second is via Hdmi receiver.
I have to toggle the Hdmi inputs on receiver to get it to sync. I don't think it is the fault of the switch.

Hey Audvid,

I've been lurking this thread for some time as I've been researching a matrix switch, and I found one very similar looking to yours:

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-Splitter-2-output-Supports-Lossless/dp/B00HM874WU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1392681667&sr=8-10&keywords=hdmi+matrix+switch

I have to wonder if one of the companies is just an OEM manufacturer (Orei/Etekcity) or if there is another company out there and just makes these units.  I'm about to pull the trigger on the Etekcity 6x2 model - I'm hoping I get good results like you.

post #135 of 143 Old 02-17-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidianus View Post

Hey Audvid,

I've been lurking this thread for some time as I've been researching a matrix switch, and I found one very similar looking to yours:

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-Splitter-2-output-Supports-Lossless/dp/B00HM874WU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1392681667&sr=8-10&keywords=hdmi+matrix+switch

I have to wonder if one of the companies is just an OEM manufacturer (Orei/Etekcity) or if there is another company out there and just makes these units.  I'm about to pull the trigger on the Etekcity 6x2 model - I'm hoping I get good results like you.
yes. Its probably same OEM. Buy it! BTW there's actually a guy on eBay asking $1000 and claiming he sold one or more already..
post #136 of 143 Old 02-18-2014, 07:04 AM

They won't ship to Canada, now I might cry :(

post #137 of 143 Old 02-18-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

They won't ship to Canada, now I might cry frown.gif
If you want, you can have them ship it to me and I can send it to you..
you can send me a PM if you are interested..
Obsidianus likes this.
post #138 of 143 Old 02-18-2014, 10:33 AM

Thanks for your offer, I may take you up on it. I've reached out to the vendor to see is they have alternative distributors here.

post #139 of 143 Old 02-18-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They won't ship to Canada, now I might cry frown.gif

The other poster's offer of handling the "cross border receiving and shipping" is good but why not just go with this ebay listing.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HDMI1-4-6-x-2-Matrix-4kx2k-3D-HDTV-HDMI-splitter-1080P-120Hz-and-1080P-3D-60Hz-/291082997238?pt=US_Splitters_Combiners&hash=item43c5e60df6
Obsidianus likes this.
post #140 of 143 Old 02-18-2014, 01:20 PM

I didn't actually find it on ebay during my search.. thank you for the link!

post #141 of 143 Old 02-18-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The other poster's offer of handling the "cross border receiving and shipping" is good but why not just go with this ebay listing.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HDMI1-4-6-x-2-Matrix-4kx2k-3D-HDTV-HDMI-splitter-1080P-120Hz-and-1080P-3D-60Hz-/291082997238?pt=US_Splitters_Combiners&hash=item43c5e60df6
At $98, this is even cheaper! It looks exactly like my switch.
I actually found out who the OEM manufacturer was.. it is : lenkeng.com

Most likely, this ebay switch is from the same people.. that would be my guess.. it appears to be identical
post #142 of 143 Old 02-19-2014, 03:51 PM

Well I ordered one, we'll see how it goes!

post #143 of 143 Old 02-26-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:

Well I ordered one, we'll see how it goes!

Well the install is done and it seems to be working quite well!

Some notes:

- Looks to be a pretty solid build quality

- Cable for power supply is short (<1M)

- Optical out works fine with external coax media converter

- Turns out I had a bad HDMI cable, or at least one that did not like the switch.  But since it's wonky in a 1:1 setup I'll be swapping it

- The battery in the remote may be dead, have to swap that as well

- Looks like my PC can't drive the TV as a third monitor (GTX 580) and my two other monitors at the same time :(

Thanks again for the informative thread guys! :D

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page