The Unoffical source for everything HDBaseT - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #271 of 291 Old 02-18-2016, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Any options for a 4x4 or 8x8 hdbaset matrix extender package that isn't a billion dollars and affordable for us Canucks up north of the border, silly Canadian economy.

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Old Theater Build

New House Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 291 Old 02-18-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 139
4x4 pricing is very different to 8x8 pricing and no matter where you live everyone complains that HDBT is too expensive!

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions for Residential and Commercial installations.
post #273 of 291 Old 02-23-2016, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 40
How to fix a Monoprice 4 by 4 HDBaseT Matrix

The symptoms were that one of the channels no longer displayed the digital signal. St first I thought that the matrix itself had failed but to my glee, the problem was on the receiver end. And at that, it was merely that the external 5V/2 Amp power supply had failed. Out of all the potentially dreadful causes, this was by far the simplest and cheapest to fix. Indeed, Amazon sells an equivalent 5V supply for just $8.99. I bought one of these, whereupon the RX began working again. Since then, another channel failed, this time I just ordered another supply and the problem was fixed. In anticipation that this supply is a dominant cause of failures, I went ahead about two additional supplies and swapped them for the originals units. To sum up, for less than $40, I removed the Achilles heel of this system.
This all makes sense, since the innards of these units are based on Valens chips and layouts etc., similar to that of much m ore expensive brands. The robustness of the Valens chip/architecture is well known. I think these units inherit that as well.
So if you have a similar problem in the future, don't bother to call Support, just swap out that DC supply. Enjoy!
post #274 of 291 Old 03-26-2016, 12:36 AM
Old Soul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Which of these wires do you guys suggest I install for the HDBASET run

Blue
http://pr.blackbox.com/Store/Detail..../EYN911MS-0050

Purple
http://pr.blackbox.com/Store/Detail..../EVNSL648-0050
post #275 of 291 Old 03-26-2016, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Either or will likely do - we use the GigaTrue on all of the installs where we get to choose the cables.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions for Residential and Commercial installations.
post #276 of 291 Old 06-20-2016, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Extender with HDMI splitter on transmitter?

I'm looking for an HDMI extender that has a pass-through or splitter on the transmitter. The situation here is that I have a Tivo that feeds into a Denon receiver. I want to send that Tivo HDMI output to a TV in the kitchen and to the Denon receiver simultaneously. I can probably manage to get a CAT5 to the kitchen, but not an HDMI cable.

I'm pretty sure there was a device that had this feature a couple of years ago, but I can't seem to find any now. Has anyone ever seen an extender that has this feature?

Thanks!

"Nobody looks good in high-def"
Doug Wilson - Weeds
post #277 of 291 Old 06-21-2016, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

We would normally supply/install a 1x2 Splitter plus an HDBT Extender.

Keep in mind if the kitchen TV only supports Stereo audio you will need to set the Source to HD Video + Stereo audio via HDMI plus 5.1 via Optical and connect an Optical between the Source and the AVR and configure the AVR to use the Optical audio.

Use Solid core, non-CCA, UTP CAT6 for the extender.

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #278 of 291 Old 06-22-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
We would normally supply/install a 1x2 Splitter plus an HDBT Extender.

Keep in mind if the kitchen TV only supports Stereo audio you will need to set the Source to HD Video + Stereo audio via HDMI plus 5.1 via Optical and connect an Optical between the Source and the AVR and configure the AVR to use the Optical audio.

Use Solid core, non-CCA, UTP CAT6 for the extender.

Joe

Thank you.

I had thought of doing that, but was concerned it might create issues. Is it okay to use a couple of really short HDMI cables in patching this up?

"Nobody looks good in high-def"
Doug Wilson - Weeds
post #279 of 291 Old 06-22-2016, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Keep in mind HDMI plugs are relatively long so either use very flexible short cables or a slightly longer than you had planned cable.

We use plenty of 0.5m and 1.0m HDMI cables.

Joe

post #280 of 291 Old 06-24-2016, 01:18 PM

Trying to find some information on HDBaseT for a particular use case and I cannot find any information anywhere.

I have a gaming PC in a networking closet and a desk/monitor in the office ~25 ft away. I am looking for a HDBaseT adapter that will transmit 2560x1440 at 60hz to my monitor. I can't find any adapters that specifically mention this resolution. It's either 1080p or 4k with nothing in-between. Am I out of luck?
post #281 of 291 Old 08-03-2016, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Monoprice has a new line of HDBaseT devices called Blackbird: (Monoprice product Link)

Here's the description for PID 15777:
Quote:
The Monoprice Blackbird™ 4K HDBaseT™ HDMI® Extender Kit with PoC is a tool which can extend your HDMI video and audio signal up to 330 feet to an HDMI equipped projector or display. Our Blackbird 4K Extender with PoC is designed to convert an HDMI signal to standard HDBaseT signal, which then can be transmitted by a single Ethernet cable. The Blackbird 4K HDMI Extender with PoC supports all the latest compliance, including HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 and HDBaseT 2.0.

Features:
  • One pair as a full functional module, no need for setting
  • Use single UTP/STP LAN cable (CAT-5e/6) to substitute HDMI cable to achieve long distance transmission
  • UTP/STP cable termination follows the standard of IEEE TIA-568B
  • Transmission distance reaches up to 100 meters for 1080p and up to 70 meters for 4K video
  • POC (RX powered by TX)
  • HDCP 2.2/1.4 compliant
  • Full HD support: 1080p@60Hz@48bits/pixel, 3D, and 4K
  • LED indicators show the power status
  • Built-in ESD protection
  • Includes mounting ears
  • Transfers bidirectional infrared control signals together with the HDMI signal
  • Phoenix RS232 port for firmware update or RS232 control signals
I asked customer service for more information:
Quote:
[11:31 AM] Robert H.: For the new HdbaseT units, it would support full 4k meaning 4k at 60Hz at 4:4:4
[11:32 AM] Robert H.: This would support the full 18 Gbps.
post #282 of 291 Old 08-04-2016, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Blackbird™ 4k HDBaseT vs. HDBaseT 2.0

Seems to be toward 2.0 but not all the features. Any affordable HDBaseT 2.0 switchers out there?

- Phil
post #283 of 291 Old 11-12-2016, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
All sources in the same place?

It looks to me, in order for this to work, all of the source components have to be in the same place, such as the equipment closet. I can put all the Uverse STBs in the equipment closet along with a matrix switcher, but the Blu Ray player has to stay in the theater. How do I get the Blu Ray player HDMI to the equipment closet?
post #284 of 291 Old 11-13-2016, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 65
IMHO disc players need to be local at the present time if just for the convenience of changing discs. Ripping UHD discs to network storage, if and when that becomes possible, is a useful method of having movies available throughout the house.

The HD over LAN rather then HDBaseT could make sources available to all displays. I don't know if that is a practical solution and you still would have the disc changing issue as well as compression-decompression artifacts.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
post #285 of 291 Old 11-13-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

There are one or two HDBT Matrix with HDBT Inputs to allow you to put a Transmitter out in a Zone with a Source.

As Postmoderndesign says HD over LAN is likely a more realistic option - like anything HDMI look for the Features you require and the systems with the best/least video processing.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #286 of 291 Old 11-15-2016, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
There are one or two HDBT Matrix with HDBT Inputs to allow you to put a Transmitter out in a Zone with a Source.
A link would be much appreciated.
post #287 of 291 Old 11-15-2016, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

You are looking at the cardframe type solutions from the likes of Crestron and Extron.

Joe

post #288 of 291 Old 11-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
Anyone know of an HDMI CATx extender capable of doing UHD/60Hz at 4:4:4 chroma with full 18+ Gbps bandwidth?

Most everyone I find tops out at 10+ Gbps, which means UHD?6Hz at 4:2:0.

I'm looking for one that supports full ARC as well. ARC seems to be a missing feature of most extenders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Klein View Post
Seems to be toward 2.0 but not all the features. Any affordable HDBaseT 2.0 switchers out there?
Valens Responds: What’s the Road Map for 4K @60 MHz HDBaseT with 4:4:4?

What is the status of 4:4:4 at 60? Is the new standard that Valens was referring to in the above article HDBaseT 2.0? ...or have 2.0 devices been out for a while? It seems that 2.0 have been discussed on this thread for a few years now.

As an aside, i'm sure some updated information in the first post would be very helpful to those coming here looking for information.
post #289 of 291 Old 11-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone used these?

AV Access HDMI Extender ( HDBaseT ),Uncompressed Signal 4K60Hz over Cat5e /6a, 70m(230ft)1080P, 40m(130ft) 4K, PoE, Bi-directional IR+RS232,HDR,HDCP2.2

Does the Valens "Lite" chip have any bandwidth limitations compared to the original version? Even if my distance is less than 70M, would it be advisable to spend the extra money and get the original?

AV Access HDMI/HDBaseT Extender,Uncompressed Signal 4K60Hz over Cat5e /6a, 100m(330ft)1080P, 70m(230ft) 4K, Supports Ethernet + PoE + RS232 + IR control + HDCP 2.2, Mounting Ear
post #290 of 291 Old 11-26-2016, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing View Post
What is the status of 4:4:4 at 60? Is the new standard that Valens was referring to in the above article HDBaseT 2.0? ...or have 2.0 devices been out for a while? It seems that 2.0 have been discussed on this thread for a few years now.
So I found this device that claims to be HDBaseT 2.0 compliant:

GTB-UHD-HBT2

This is new, so I am assuming that this is the standard that was being referred to in the Valens article, but it appears that the only gain to be had from 2.0 is the increase in distance? They don't mention anything about throughput and they only claim to be able to get 4:4:4 at 30Hz.

Edit - Apparently 2.0 has been out since 2013, so maybe 3.0 is on the horizon?

Quote:
What are the differences between HDBaseT Spec 1.0 and Spec 2.0?
The first HDBaseT standard specification was released in 2010. In mid-2013, the HDBaseT Alliance released Spec 2.0, which brought many new features to the original standard. Primarily, with Spec 2.0, HDBaseT is now a multipoint-to-multipoint technology, enabling networking of the whole home and/or business. Spec 2.0 brings a plug-and-play solution for full connectivity.

From an architecture standpoint, Spec 1.0 addressed the physical and data link layers only of the generic communications OSI 7-layer model. HDBaseT 2.0 goes one step further and work on all the layers of the model.

In terms of features, Spec 2.0 brings:

Native support for a series of interfaces, including USB 2.0, which translates into a smaller and simpler to implement switch;

Multistreaming & daisy-chaining

Enhanced performance for 4K delivery over longer distances

Introduction of HDBaseT over fiber
refernce

Last edited by hellerbrewing; 11-26-2016 at 07:00 PM.
post #291 of 291 Old Today, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Valens lists its 'available' products on its website - http://www.valens.com/products

Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page