The Unoffical source for everything HDBaseT - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 218 Old 08-23-2012, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current ethernet network is wired such that every connection goes through a central switch. Is it true that this configuration won't work with the HDBase-T technology? I'm assuming that there needs to be a direct cat5/cat6 connection between the receiver and transmitter, with no switch in the middle. Am I correct? If not, can someone tell me how I can use HDBase-T with my current network configuration with a central ethernet switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 218 Old 08-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigboy View Post

My current ethernet network is wired such that every connection goes through a central switch. Is it true that this configuration won't work with the HDBase-T technology? I'm assuming that there needs to be a direct cat5/cat6 connection between the receiver and transmitter, with no switch in the middle. Am I correct? If not, can someone tell me how I can use HDBase-T with my current network configuration with a central ethernet switch?

you are correct

you might still accomplish the same thing if you can make a direct run from transmitter to receiver (byass the switch and use adapters to couple CAT cable sections) using existing cabling: then add ethernet feed from switch
post #93 of 218 Old 09-11-2012, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tried to search but I'm getting a tapatalk not installed error,

I'm looking at the HDanywhere multi room +. Is there an equivalent kit at mono price, or this side of the pond? Just 4x4, and receivers bought separately? I just saw great reviews on the hdanywhere multiroom+
post #94 of 218 Old 09-22-2012, 12:26 PM

I currently use the monoprice it works fine but it wont work for my need.
what I need is a self powered (poe) unit with cec
were my tv will located all I want to see is a plug and a hdmi port plus some other ports. Ethernet for internet for smart tv's.
the cec situation is a little bit of an issue.
I use xbmc with the pulse eight cec adapter. I would like to have the adapter at the pc end and not the tv end. this will alow me not to run some sort of usb extender that may be to far for things to work properly.
I also want things rack mounted with the cables if possible on the back of the unit. This will keep things nice and clean for the show off.

any idea what brand i should be looking at? i can also do my own install.
post #95 of 218 Old 09-24-2012, 06:29 AM

Liked: 11
Has anyone tried using this device from Monoprice? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011310&p_id=8151&seq=1&format=2 It claims to be able to pass 3D as well as all of the digital audio formats, along with IR. My concern is that it uses 2 Cat 5 cables, so I am thinking it is not an HDBaseT chip. If it is, and people have seen good success with it then it would be awesome, I mean a 4X4 matrix over HDMI or ethernet with IR for that price would be cool, but I don't want to mess around with trying to get it to work just to save a few bucks.
post #96 of 218 Old 09-24-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
HDBaseT devices use a single cable. If the description of the device doesn't mention HDBaseT, it probably isn't HDBaseT.
post #97 of 218 Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 AM

Any one tried this one or have any experience with this company? Thanks http://www.hdtvsupply.com/4x4-hdmi-matrix-switch-hdbaset.html#axzz2D6na7tvc
post #98 of 218 Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM

The comment about HDBaseT supporting anything but a point-to-point connection is incorrect. You can only connect one receiver to one transmitter.
post #99 of 218 Old 01-26-2013, 11:10 AM

Hasn't that changed, practically speaking, with the release of gear like this? I know it's not a true multipoint connection, but daisy chaining these would give you the effective equivalent of a bus topology.

Daisy-Chain-Repeater-HDBaseT

This was discussed a little upthread. Cascading consumer level gear still isn't that common, although this year's CES showed some interest in HDbaseT so maybe that situation will improve.
post #100 of 218 Old 01-26-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, HDBaseT can handle daisy chain and star topologies as well as point-to-point, although there are few consumer products that exploit this capability.
post #101 of 218 Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 PM

Hi guys

I have a couple of questions

My goal is to connect my PC to my living room TV to play a couple of games.

Now i looked at several solutions and HDbaseT seemed to be the most promising one

My setup is the following:

I have a gigabit LAN in my flat, running from a central station with a switch to four rooms. In one of them is the router with a DSL modem.
So between my room and the TV are at least 3 switches probably 4 when I would connect a HDMI extender in my room, since I still need ethernet and there is only one ehternet connection per room

So from what I understand, that will in no case work with HDbaseT? Is that also true for other hdmi extenders without the HDbaseT standard?
I also looked at whid solutions. But my TV and my PC are I guess 15 Meters apart with two walls between them. So I'm not sure if that will work.
Last solution would be to just run a 25m HDMI cable between the two and just unplug it when I don't need it.

Am I correct with my assumptions? Do you guys know of any other solution for me that doesn't involve running new cables through my walls?

Thanks for any suggestions
post #102 of 218 Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

HDBaseT is not ethernet. You cannot connect HDBaseT devices to an ethernet network even though they use the same kind of cable. They require their own cabling.

There are devices that will take a HDMI signal, compress it, send it over ethernet, and uncompress it. Do a search on "HD over IP". They usually seem to run on dedicated networks with managed switches. I am not sure whether they would work in your environment.
post #103 of 218 Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 PM

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. I am in the process of building a new house. I have all cables( cat 5e for ethernet, cat 5e for video and speaker wire for distributed audio) home run to the basement.

My question is : Will the Atlona AT-PRO3HD44M with 4 AT-HDRX-IR receivers allow me to control and switch 4 devices located in the basement( 2 sat receivers.1 media player and 1 bluray player) at 4 different TV locations.

I will be using a logitech touch remote in each of the rooms.

Thank you
post #104 of 218 Old 02-23-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsc View Post

Will the Atlona AT-PRO3HD44M with 4 AT-HDRX-IR receivers allow me to control and switch 4 devices located in the basement( 2 sat receivers.1 media player and 1 bluray player) at 4 different TV locations.
Depends entirely on your IR gear. Think of the Atlona gear as a wire between the IR receiver in each room and your IR gear in the basement.
post #105 of 218 Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 AM

Thanks Colm,

Just so I am clear

The Atlona Matrix switch comes with 5 IR emitters. These should control the components connected to the switch in the basement.

The HT-HDRX-IR receiver- located behind each TV has an IR receiver that will transmit IR signal to switch from remote

So If I have an IR remote(logitech) at each location programmed to control the switch and the 4 connected components I should be able to control the switch and any of the connected components in any room?
post #106 of 218 Old 02-25-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
If you happen to have two of any one Source (your Sat Receiver for example) and they are both the same box with the same IR codes the trick is to ensure the Matrix you go with allows for 'Routed' control so that you dont end up controlling two 'same box' Sources from one Zone.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #107 of 218 Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 PM

great point, Thanks Joe!
post #108 of 218 Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 PM

Don't know if we'll ever see it, but wouldn't it be cool if most of the TVs for sale simply had an HDBaseT connector and that's it? Stick it on the wall and run a CAT6 cable to the box and you're done! No worrying about properly wiring AC power to a recessed box behind the TV and a myriad of other wires and related issues.

How would this affect a structured wiring system one might build? If you were certain this was the future you could just build a solid CAT6 structured wiring system and be ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Keep in mind that for anything longer than a few feet, you want to use solid Cat 6 cable, for the same reasons you do with etherenet: the manufacturers are better able to control geometry, hence impedance and performance, with solid core than stranded. Long preterminated stranded patch cables may seem convenient, but they can hurt performance.
You don't like pre-terminated patch cables because they're stranded, not solid?

I've always been of the mind that cable should be done properly - runs tied down to patch panels and wall plates, patch cords for the final moveable connections. I cringe when I see a network cable run from one end of the house to the other with a couple of RJ45s crimped on each end. Always thought you should leave the crimping of ends to the machines in the factory.
post #109 of 218 Old 06-11-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has anyone tried the infrared extender feature of one of the Monoprice HDBaseT units with a standard Windows Media Center remote control? I tried an inexpensive Byttec HDBaseT extender and it seemed to mangle the infrared signal such that my PC did not respond to the remote commands (the LED light on the PC remote receiver was flashing so I know that commands were getting there). I'm wondering if this is just a compatibility problem of the HDBaseT technology and would be the same for all brands. Thanks.
post #110 of 218 Old 06-11-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post

I've always been of the mind that cable should be done properly - runs tied down to patch panels and wall plates, patch cords for the final moveable connections. I cringe when I see a network cable run from one end of the house to the other with a couple of RJ45s crimped on each end. Always thought you should leave the crimping of ends to the machines in the factory.
Per the guys that write the specifications, cat cabling should always be brought to a punch down type connection and then the last leg should be done with a patch cord. The stranded patch cords are using stranded conductors to allow greater flexibility and reliability. So, you are correct in your mindset - and in line with what the professional requirements for cat-x cabling call for. I'm NOT an expert, but we covered this in class for Extron's HD-Base-T solutions training class.

Solid core for the long haul, punch it down (never terminate to RJ45), then patch cable.

Why no hand terminated RJ45 connections? Well, the RJ45 is a limited lifetime product. It is actually only rated to some ridiculously low number (I was thinking 50 insertions/deinsertions, but maybe it was 200) before replacement of patch cables is recommended. RJ45 jacks are rated for longer life.

From this website, they claim a guarantee of 1,000 insertions/desinsertions...

http://rj45s.com/Plug_Jack_Contact_Mating.html

Interesting bit of reading.

Oh, and tomorrow I am playing with the Panasonic projector with the native HD-Base-T connection built right into it. Using RS-232 and switch PC/HD video w/audio right into the projector... Really cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #111 of 218 Old 06-11-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Why no hand terminated RJ45 connections? Well, the RJ45 is a limited lifetime product. It is actually only rated to some ridiculously low number (I was thinking 50 insertions/deinsertions, but maybe it was 200) before replacement of patch cables is recommended. RJ45 jacks are rated for longer life.
No, plugs and jacks typically have similar life expectancies, for many manufacturers around 500 mate cycles, some manufacturers more. The usual reason for eschewing hand termination is the assumption that you have a better chance of achieving a gas tight connection. In my experience, a competent technician with good hand tools and parts is more likely to turn out a good connection than a plant churning out thousands and thousands of cables a day for a number of reasons.
Quote:
Oh, and tomorrow I am playing with the Panasonic projector with the native HD-Base-T connection built right into it.
Cool, you'll have to tell us all about it.
post #112 of 218 Old 06-12-2013, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hello all

RickStrobel – with HDMI over Twisted Pair you really don’t want any unnecessary breaks in the cable runs between your Tx and Rx.

Crbaldwin – I wouldn’t assume all HDBaseT and HDBaseT-lite implementations are the same.

AV_Integrated – our Tech guys say it is still best practice to avoid any unnecessary breaks in your cables with HDBaseT and HDBaseT-lite.

AV_Integrated – ‘Really Cool’, I hear different! With heat being an issue with some of the first gen Display devices with integrated HDBaseT Rx.

Colm – I’m with you, good and bad for both Factory and Installer built cables.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -

post #113 of 218 Old 06-26-2013, 05:28 PM

post #114 of 218 Old 07-01-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyth View Post

Very interesting HDBaseT news via Engadget...

Pioneer's SC-79 uses HDBaseT to feed HDMI video throughout the home (hands-on video)

I'd prefer to see it as an input rather than an output. All my receivers are local as I don't have speaker wire run from my rack to each room. However if it had an HDBaseT input you could then with one cable route all your sources to the receiver from a rack with an HDBaseT matrix switch.
post #115 of 218 Old 07-06-2013, 04:45 PM

An AV receiver with HDBaseT inputs would be a big plus for flexibility in equipment placement. That's a brilliant idea. Personally, I want an AV receiver with a built in 4x4 Matrix and HDBaseT output support for zones 2 through 4 at least.
post #116 of 218 Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 AM

Liked: 13
Just thought I'd add some information. I have a house wired with 4xCAT6 to each room of our house. They all terminate to a patch panel in a closet (No 8P8C connectors).

I just purchased the monoprice 4x2 HDBASET matrix (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10914&cs_id=1091403&p_id=10226&seq=1&format=2). All cables are monoprice CAT6 patch cables going in the patch panel and out to a keystone jack and then another cat6 patch cable.

For source 1 I'm using a Window 7 WMC PC with a Nvidia 430GT with a generic IR remote.
For source 2 i'm using a Apple TV.

Both remotes and switching work on the display end.

So far everything works perfect. I have only tested it for a day so far but I have not had any problems. I'm trying to test 3D and bitstreaming truehd to make sure they work next.

Also this matrix is a 4x2 but the second output is hdmi, not hdbaset. I'm going to try and buy another extender to essentially make it a true 4x2.
ste.mo likes this.
post #117 of 218 Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Is HDBaseT 2.0 as big of a game changer as it sounds like? Addresses all levels of the OSI model? I think this would replace what I was looking at from JustAddPower.

http://www.cepro.com/images/pdfs/hdbaset_20_spec.pdf

Matt
post #118 of 218 Old 08-14-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hmmmmm. So, are they saying that you would not need a matrix switch as we now know it, because you could route the data almost like IP? I'm not sure how that can work when you still potentially have EDID issues, HDCP handshaking and so forth.

I notice that there's no mention in the slide deck of cost. As far as I can tell, that has been a big barrier to adoption so far, and part of why HDBaseT has been largely limited to CEDIA-type products rather than mainstream CE products. I believe that the chipset from Valens was quite costly. I don't know the current state of things, and whether this new standard attempts to lower costs.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)

post #119 of 218 Old 08-14-2013, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

Hmmmmm. So, are they saying that you would not need a matrix switch as we now know it, because you could route the data almost like IP? I'm not sure how that can work when you still potentially have EDID issues, HDCP handshaking and so forth.

I notice that there's no mention in the slide deck of cost. As far as I can tell, that has been a big barrier to adoption so far, and part of why HDBaseT has been largely limited to CEDIA-type products rather than mainstream CE products. I believe that the chipset from Valens was quite costly. I don't know the current state of things, and whether this new standard attempts to lower costs.

Yes, I would think a full HomePlay setup would replace a matrix switch at lower cost with more features. It seems like it would also mostly replace the HD over IP product from JustAddPower that is both proprietary and expensive, and give the same type of switching options. This includes the important ability to use local devices as possible inputs for whole house use.

On the same note, JAP doesn't typically have issues with EDID, HDCP, etc, and they have been out a few years. I don't think they would come out with a standard that would ignore those possible issues.

Of course there is no cost mentioned because there are no products. However, if Monoprice can do HDBaseT at the price point that they do, I would hope they would come out with a HomePlay switching solution and blow up the market.

Matt
post #120 of 218 Old 08-15-2013, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

On the same note, JAP doesn't typically have issues with EDID, HDCP, etc, and they have been out a few years. I don't think they would come out with a standard that would ignore those possible issues.

Just Add Power isn't quite a fair comparison for EDID issues because they're re-encoding the video signal and then scaling it on the receiver (or they were last time I looked at them). So, it was a very nice and flexible system, but not lossless. I don't know how they deal with HDCP, though.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page