The Unoffical source for everything HDBaseT - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
post #211 of 237 Old 09-06-2014, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Thankfully the new Atlona HDBT extenders worked! I had to put it into the EDID learning mode but after that and putting my AVR into the automatic HDMI mode, the picture came on! I haven't watched a full movie yet but I will tonight!"

What was the model numbers for the Altona HDBT Extenders, there are a few in the mix, and I'd like to go with something others have had success with. I've heard nothing but issues with Monoprice extenders, I'm not interested in wasting time trying cheap junk.

I was looking at these options, any comments?:
KanexPro:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l/prm/alsVwDtl
Altona:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Kit_over.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nder_over.html

Last edited by Leafrider; 09-06-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 237 Old 09-09-2014, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Trying to determine if using HDBaseT would be an appropriate solution. I currently have 5.1 setup in my family room with DirecTV, BD Player and my Media player connected to my receiver then a single HDMI to TV. I would like to move all my equipment into my basement and have just the TV flush mounted to the wall. The location where I would like to have my equipment in the basement would be about 100-150' way from TV so I would I would think a single HDMI cable would be less than ideal?

Parts of my house is prewired with Cat 5 or 6 (not sure 5/6, house built in 2013). In the future I would like to run a TV in my garage with Directv and also utilize my BD player and media player in other rooms that are prewired with Cat. From my research it sounds like HDBaseT would satisfy my wants. Agree?

Few questions. How does HDBaseT integrate with receivers that have multiple devises connected to it with one HDMI out to TV? Would this setup allow me to still use those devices in other rooms independently of the other devices (i.e. - wife in bedroom watching BD player, me in garage watching DirecTV, and kids watching movies from media player in their room). Lastly I am a little unclear how the built in IR will work. Will I be able to control all my devices with their original remotes? Is there iPhone applications that you can use to control all connected rooms?

Initially for just the one main family room what equipment would I need? Down the road integrating the other rooms I would need just add a matrix device and additional decoder boxes?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks in advance as I'm sure these questions are very remedial to most of you.
post #213 of 237 Old 09-09-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
HDBT is ‘simply’ the Extender technology – with a few bells and whistles which can be handy in a distributed system.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_extender_HD70STPEX.html

You can ‘extend’ the Output of the AVR over HDBT and you can also Distribute the Output to multiple Zones (rooms) using a Distribution Amp with integrated HDBT Outputs (though that then limits you to the same Source in all Zones).

You can connect the Sources to an HDBT Equipped Matrix and then Output to Multiple Zones (Inc the Zone with the AVR) – that allows any Source to any Zone (though you have to manage what audio (7.1, 5.1, 2.0) each Zone supports.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_Matrix_HDbaseT_HD4xSTPMX_over%20CAT6.html

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #214 of 237 Old 09-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Jumping in here quick, pre-wiring this weekend. Making sure i have everything. Here is my video plan:

Every TV location(12) - 1 stp CAT6 for balun, 1 rg6, 1 utp CAT6 for ethernet and 1 utp CAT6 for spare.
Everything ran to basement server room.
Every location has recessed TV box.

Good?

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #215 of 237 Old 09-11-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 381
That certainly is a good plan.

I always recommend conduit to critical locations, and if you are 100% set on using HDBT and the associated expense, then it sounds like you are covered.

I ended up running long HDMI cables throughout my home and I've had good luck with them so far. Still need to drop in my switcher to really get the most of things, but so far, so good.

If you are running everything yourself, then what you are describing is what I would consider a 'minimum' run for a proper installation. Extra cables would be just ... extra. So, no real demand at this time. What you have is good.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #216 of 237 Old 09-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
HDBT is ‘simply’ the Extender technology – with a few bells and whistles which can be handy in a distributed system.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_extender_HD70STPEX.html

You can ‘extend’ the Output of the AVR over HDBT and you can also Distribute the Output to multiple Zones (rooms) using a Distribution Amp with integrated HDBT Outputs (though that then limits you to the same Source in all Zones).

You can connect the Sources to an HDBT Equipped Matrix and then Output to Multiple Zones (Inc the Zone with the AVR) – that allows any Source to any Zone (though you have to manage what audio (7.1, 5.1, 2.0) each Zone supports.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_Matrix_HDbaseT_HD4xSTPMX_over%20CAT6.html

Joe

This a viable affordable option? Seems like a decent price.
Joe Fernand likes this.

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #217 of 237 Old 09-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
That certainly is a good plan.

I always recommend conduit to critical locations, and if you are 100% set on using HDBT and the associated expense, then it sounds like you are covered.

I ended up running long HDMI cables throughout my home and I've had good luck with them so far. Still need to drop in my switcher to really get the most of things, but so far, so good.

If you are running everything yourself, then what you are describing is what I would consider a 'minimum' run for a proper installation. Extra cables would be just ... extra. So, no real demand at this time. What you have is good.
If I'm not using HDBT, then i would need to run an HDMI cable(What AWG?), IR cable and another cat6?

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #218 of 237 Old 09-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkEyez95 View Post
Trying to determine if using HDBaseT would be an appropriate solution. I currently have 5.1 setup in my family room with DirecTV, BD Player and my Media player connected to my receiver then a single HDMI to TV. I would like to move all my equipment into my basement and have just the TV flush mounted to the wall. The location where I would like to have my equipment in the basement would be about 100-150' way from TV so I would I would think a single HDMI cable would be less than ideal?

Parts of my house is prewired with Cat 5 or 6 (not sure 5/6, house built in 2013). In the future I would like to run a TV in my garage with Directv and also utilize my BD player and media player in other rooms that are prewired with Cat. From my research it sounds like HDBaseT would satisfy my wants. Agree?

Few questions. How does HDBaseT integrate with receivers that have multiple devises connected to it with one HDMI out to TV? Would this setup allow me to still use those devices in other rooms independently of the other devices (i.e. - wife in bedroom watching BD player, me in garage watching DirecTV, and kids watching movies from media player in their room). Lastly I am a little unclear how the built in IR will work. Will I be able to control all my devices with their original remotes? Is there iPhone applications that you can use to control all connected rooms?

Initially for just the one main family room what equipment would I need? Down the road integrating the other rooms I would need just add a matrix device and additional decoder boxes?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks in advance as I'm sure these questions are very remedial to most of you.
I've been away for a while but just checked back in. Since it doesn't appear that all your questions have been addressed yet, I thought I'd chime in.
First, if your house was built in 2013, all your CatX cables are likely Cat5e or Cat6, so you are good to go for an HDBaseT run of 150 feet.
As for your hook up, you can do similar to what I have done and use an N by N HDBaseT Matrix switch. Feed one Cat5e(6) back to our Media Room and other s to the various rooms you desire to include.
IR and Lan will both distribute on that same cable to the various rooms. And yes, the Remotes for each of your sources will work to control from any remote room.
There is a possibility for interruption in the since that if someone in the bedroom, say, decides to change the cable channel while you are watching that same source. A work around might be to restrict certain Room IR feeds to a mere subset of the sources.
For the media room, itself, I recommend that you provide a few dedicated sources.
Not sure I've addressed all your questions but hopefully these answers will hep.

Last edited by john stephens; 09-23-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: typo corrections
post #219 of 237 Old 10-02-2014, 01:43 AM

Does anyone have a current list of TVs that support true 5-play receiving of video, audio, control, Ethernet, and Power? That is, if I buy a 16x16 HDBT matrix that supports 5-play, are there any TVs that I can mount on the wall and connect a single CAT6 cable to? No power receptacle, no IR blaster/receiver, and no HDBaseT receiver behind the TV - just one cable magic.
post #220 of 237 Old 10-02-2014, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

'Does anyone have a current list of TVs that support true 5-play' - I suspect that list may be less than one!

Other than a handful of Commercial 'Install' Projectors and 'Hotel' TV's (none of which are 5-Play) - I haven't seen much in the way of embedded HDBT in the Consumer channel.

Heat generation in a 16x16 Matrix powering 16 TV's would be a big worry for the Matrix manufacturer.

For now you will require a Matrix/Zone Receiver with local power (for the TV) architecture.

Joe
shaunco likes this.

post #221 of 237 Old 10-02-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post
If I'm not using HDBT, then i would need to run an HDMI cable(What AWG?), IR cable and another cat6?
I use the heaviest gauge cable I can use, which has been the Monoprice 22AWG HDMI cables, and I've had good luck with 1080p at 75' across the cables I've personally used.

I would pull at least one cat-5e and one cat-6 cable to each location that doesn't have conduit. I actually pull a lot more than that. Typically 3-4 pieces of cat-5e/cat-6 in my installations.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #222 of 237 Old 10-02-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

While Crestron, AMX, and Extron all provide almost all the features of 5-play, HDBT has been slow on the uptake that they need to be able to deliver an extremely inexpensive chipset that can be used by consumer electronics manufacturers. Using external PoE switches, most Crestron end-points can be powered, and fully run from their HDBT matricies. But, there are no TVs that can act as end points. As well, due to the power limitations of HDBT (from what I've read), you aren't getting more than about a 40" television (LED) at that end point, if you are lucky.

I'm very hopeful that this will all happen one day. Certainly the true 'one connector' concept is a heck of an idea.

At this point, I've done direct control and video delivery to a Panasonic projector with embedded HDBT. No power though.

post #223 of 237 Old 10-08-2014, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
So in a build out for my basement project, I have a 25', 30', 50' and 75' runs to 4 TVs in addition to a few 30' runs to TVs up in the rooms above. Currently, I've got Redmere Monoprice cables in the walls but I am concerned about 4K video. The Redmere cables are the 10.2 Gbs variety from Monoprice. I'm curious what people are doing with 4K video runs to a media closet. Does the HDBaseT product line solve the 4K problem? I'm also talking 4K@60fps with Dolby Atmos sound? Each TV location has a pair of Cat6 cables along side whatever HDMI cables have been installed.

How does HDBaseT help my situation? Or does it not help it?
post #224 of 237 Old 10-09-2014, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

'I'm also talking 4K@60fps with Dolby Atmos sound?' - to each Zone, that's going to be a fully immersive whole house!!!

'How does HDBaseT help my situation?' - it's the most stable way to deliver multi-zone HD Video (with audio) around your home the other 'stuff' you have to take a step back and asses what you are asking.

Are you really planning on '4K@60fps' and Dolby Atmos in all Zones - if not then look at that 'Theatre' Zone in isolation with an Output from your 'whole house' Matrix delivering centralized (non-4K@60fps and non-Atmos sources) to the Theatre Zone plus presumably 'TV' only Zones (most likely 1080p with 2.0 audio).

Joe

Last edited by Joe Fernand; 10-09-2014 at 02:11 AM.
post #225 of 237 Old 10-13-2014, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
'I'm also talking 4K@60fps with Dolby Atmos sound?' - to each Zone, that's going to be a fully immersive whole house!!!

'How does HDBaseT help my situation?' - it's the most stable way to deliver multi-zone HD Video (with audio) around your home the other 'stuff' you have to take a step back and asses what you are asking.

Are you really planning on '4K@60fps' and Dolby Atmos in all Zones - if not then look at that 'Theatre' Zone in isolation with an Output from your 'whole house' Matrix delivering centralized (non-4K@60fps and non-Atmos sources) to the Theatre Zone plus presumably 'TV' only Zones (most likely 1080p with 2.0 audio).

Joe

So it was late when I typed that. The plan in the basement is 4K TVs all around. 4 of them. One in the office, one in the bar area, one in the workout room and the projector in the Atmos theater. Only the projector will have the sound. What I want to make sure of is that I have the appropriate cable in the walls before I drywall everything and make things more difficult. To begin with, the projector might be the only 4K TV but if the past year is any indication, 4K@60fps is falling fast in price so it won't be long before I am looking at 4K TVs throughout the basement at least, if not to the bedroom and living room up stairs. Before I drywall, I have under floor access to replace those cables. That said, I've run Cat6 (2 ea) to every TV.

Am I good enough to just run Cat6 to the TVs in the basement and use HDBaseT to "terminate" the ends? Will the current modules handle 4K video @ 60fps? If I'm forced to an HDMI cable for the projector, where can I find a 25' cable. Monoprice doesn't have an 18Gbps cable bigger than 15'. Haven't purchased anything yet because I'm frozen by this whole transition. I can feel it now; seal up the walls and then 4K goes mainstream.... At least if I do it right, I'll get 3 years of state of the art out of my basement before 8K TV comes out versus being a generation behind from day one if I plan for 1080p.

Where HDBaseT seemingly fits, is to send a TV and 2/5.1 channel audio signal to the 75' and 45' runs (bedroom and workout room). I'm just not 100% sure so I've not plunked down the coin to make it happen.
post #226 of 237 Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

UHD/4K – still lots to be ironed out with the possibility that more than a few folk will have TV’s with ‘embedded’ streamers so you don’t ever ‘send’ a 2160p signal to the TV via HDMI.

HDBT – once products start to appear with the New Colligo (HDBT 2.0) family of chips you will see more support for 2160p at frame rates other than 30fps.

http://www.valens.com/products

CAT6 – many installers will be running x4 solid core CAT6to each Zone.

Multi-dimensional audio – you are likely going to have to dedicate a Player in the Cinema Zone to deliver this to a compatible AVR plus have a second Player for your ‘whole house’ needs outputting 1080p with 2.0 audio to be compatible with TV’s in all Zones.

Joe

post #227 of 237 Old 11-15-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 255
My installer put in a Metra* HDbaseT Lite setup for my TV. (Specifically, between my Anthem MRX300 AVR and a Sony LCD TV I bought ca. 2007). The cables are well well under 70m long. I'm getting occasional dropouts. What can I do to troubleshoot the connection? I wonder if there might be a dodgy crimp in the network cables, because there was no strain relief applied between the UTP Cat5e cable and the RJ45 connector.

Also, my wife and I are thinking about cutting the cord when our current promo with the monopoly ends. We could buy an external tuner, but my TV has a perfectly good one installed. So if this unit ends up being bad, is there another one I can suggest my installer procure that has the following features:
-POE (not necessary, but would be nice)
-audio from TV to AVR. Ideally with optical input, because my current TV predates ARC and my TV has an optical digital output.

Or would it be better to stick with a basic HDbaseT Lite for video, and use a separate set of optical to Cat5e baluns for audio if we cut the cord? There are two Cat5e lines run to the TV area.

*My packaging and the units are clearly branded Metra, but online it looks like they use the Ethereal brand name. this Ethereal unit has the same model name as my Metra-branded parts.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #228 of 237 Old 11-21-2014, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Just a head's up to people who might be considering this unit. About 2 years ago I bought this HDBaseT Extender from monoprice. It worked fine until about a month ago when it stopped passing the signal. Both the sender and the receiver power lights are on but the link is dead. I tried a few different cat5e cables and the link never works so something stopped working with it. It looks like others on Monoprice have seen similar results. I have no idea if the newer one they sell will show the same symptoms. While the monoprice HDBaseT sets are much cheaper than the competition that will be for naught if it turns out that these only have a year or two shelf life.
post #229 of 237 Old 11-24-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrdsl23 View Post
Just a head's up to people who might be considering this unit. About 2 years ago I bought this HDBaseT Extender from monoprice. It worked fine until about a month ago when it stopped passing the signal. Both the sender and the receiver power lights are on but the link is dead. I tried a few different cat5e cables and the link never works so something stopped working with it. It looks like others on Monoprice have seen similar results. I have no idea if the newer one they sell will show the same symptoms. While the monoprice HDBaseT sets are much cheaper than the competition that will be for naught if it turns out that these only have a year or two shelf life.
In my testing with these, it is almost always a power supply failure. There are times it still shows power, but a replacement power supply still fixes the issue.

I have several of these units, and for the price, they have held up well. But, it would be nice to see a far more robust power supply ship with them.

I think of the 20+ I've installed, I may have had to replace four or five power supplies.

post #230 of 237 Old 11-25-2014, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In my testing with these, it is almost always a power supply failure. There are times it still shows power, but a replacement power supply still fixes the issue.

I have several of these units, and for the price, they have held up well. But, it would be nice to see a far more robust power supply ship with them.

I think of the 20+ I've installed, I may have had to replace four or five power supplies.
Interesting. I figured it wasn't the power supply since both units had power. I just sent them back for an RMA so I can't test it. Do you have a link to a separate power supply that people can get without having to purchase a whole new unit?

Thanks.
post #231 of 237 Old 11-26-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. I figured it wasn't the power supply since both units had power. I just sent them back for an RMA so I can't test it. Do you have a link to a separate power supply that people can get without having to purchase a whole new unit?

Thanks.
I've always sent them back in myself. Just let MP deal with it and remind them that it is their product which is failing. I still use them, but I've got a stock now of some Crestron gear which is a good deal better overall.

post #232 of 237 Old 12-01-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Power Supply Failures as well with Lite devices

I have a couple of monoprice Lite boxes (108160/108159), and also had failure of the individual power supplies. It took me quite awhile to diagnose, since this is the last thing I thought of checking. In at least the one case, the red LED still showed as "On", though it did appear to be dimmer than it's working twin. I bought a number of spares should more fail, but not from monoprice. These particular end devices need 5 volt, 2Amp (regulated) with a 2.1mmX5.5m plug. I found them on Amazon. Note that the sending unit has higher power requirements should that fail.
Otherwise, no problems for me with these units.

Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:

post #233 of 237 Old 12-02-2014, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Best HDBaseT, excluding cost.

Hi All,

Colleagues have tested a DVI/HDMI over Ethernet type product (I don't know exact product at this time) but said there was noticeable latency and HDBaseT has basically been written it off.

Reading about HDBaseT, and knowing there have been other mistakes made in the past, I would like to revisit HDBaseT in the lab environment.

The particular production environment requires ultimate reliability with cost being only secondary.

What brand/model would AVS gurus recommend considering these factors?

Cheers,

Karl
post #234 of 237 Old 12-02-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

'Colleagues have tested a DVI/HDMI over Ethernet type product (I don't know exact product at this time) but said there was noticeable latency and HDBaseT has basically been written it off.' - it sounds like you were using HD over LAN rather than HDMI over HDBT, assuming it was a single wire solution.

HD over LAN utilises MJPEG compression which does cause latency - its not very obvious on the visual side but is for the audio, esp where you have a multiple Display install.

Have a look at our HDBT-lite solution - always happy to supply one for you to test, http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_extender_HD70STPEX.html

Joe

post #235 of 237 Old 12-02-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlostavitch View Post
Hi All,

Colleagues have tested a DVI/HDMI over Ethernet type product (I don't know exact product at this time) but said there was noticeable latency and HDBaseT has basically been written it off.

Reading about HDBaseT, and knowing there have been other mistakes made in the past, I would like to revisit HDBaseT in the lab environment.

The particular production environment requires ultimate reliability with cost being only secondary.

What brand/model would AVS gurus recommend considering these factors?
Joe like his products (and I have no reason to doubt they are good!) - But HDBT uses Valens chips. They are not HDMI over Ethernet. That is a completely different product. HDBT is point to point connections using category cable.

I see some latency with HDBT, which I think would bug me if I was a gamer.

But, depending on distances, etc. HDBT is still the best solution. Perhaps 100ms of latency. As much as 200ms? That would be a good thing to test out.

I use Crestron HDBT equipment all the time. But, I have used a long line of others, and they have worked pretty much the same. Mainly because they are all using the same Valens HDBT chip sets.

post #236 of 237 Old 12-03-2014, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi AV_Integrated - just for clarification

Octava Inc. is an HDBT adopter - http://www.hdbaset.org/members_list

We manufacture HDBT and HD over LAN solutions to suit different applications.

Joe

post #237 of 237 Unread Today, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Only a indication that JustAddPower will not make a correct High-definition multimedia interface output, especially with good quality audio and then any video above 1080p/60 with 8 tad colour.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page