AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hdmi-q-one-connector-world/)
-   -   BD player to Rcvr 50ft, Rcvr to PJ 30ft (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hdmi-q-one-connector-world/1385627-bd-player-rcvr-50ft-rcvr-pj-30ft.html)

GWZ 01-07-2012 12:21 PM

Hi All, been lurking and learning. Have started to buy stuff but have a question. From all my reading I know 50ft for 3D is hit and miss. Does anyone happen to know if the HDMI switching on an AV Rcvr (I have an Onkyo 609) provides an equalization/amplification function or is it just passive switching only. If it's a passive switch then I'd be trying to pass content over 80ft of HDMI cable, which won't work. If the Rcvr cleans up the signal before it routes in on, then 50ft to the Rcvr may work and the 30ft to the PJ would probably work.
From reading earlier posts I'm leaning towards HDMI over Ethernet to the Rcvr and HDMI from the Rcvr to the PJ.

Thanks, Gunther
Onkyo 609
Pana 210 3D blu ray
HT Seats - on the way
Carada 134" BW screen - on the way
Epson 6010 - soon....

alk3997 01-07-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWZ View Post

Hi All, been lurking and learning. Have started to buy stuff but have a question. From all my reading I know 50ft for 3D is hit and miss. Does anyone happen to know if the HDMI switching on an AV Rcvr (I have an Onkyo 609) provides an equalization/amplification function or is it just passive switching only. If it's a passive switch then I'd be trying to pass content over 80ft of HDMI cable, which won't work. If the Rcvr cleans up the signal before it routes in on, then 50ft to the Rcvr may work and the 30ft to the PJ would probably work.
From reading earlier posts I'm leaning towards HDMI over Ethernet to the Rcvr and HDMI from the Rcvr to the PJ.

Thanks, Gunther
Onkyo 609
Pana 210 3D blu ray
HT Seats - on the way
Carada 134" BW screen - on the way
Epson 6010 - soon....

Why HDMI over Ethernet to the receiver? Nothing supports the function, yet. If it is for future proofing, why not both?

GWZ 01-07-2012 03:29 PM

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply. I probably didn't explain myself very well. I'm not so much concerned with future proofing as I am that I won't get reliable 1080p 3D over a 50ft run. From what I've read Coln seems to recommend a "HDbaseT device" as the best solution for long runs (which I'm assuming is HDMI over CAT 5/6 (Ethernet)). I'm not wanting to go HDMI over CAT 5/6 for the run from the Rcvr to the PJ due to cost and it seems a 30ft run is more reasonable to expect good performance from HDMI cables. I should add I'm assuming the cheap (<50$) converters probably aren't the best choice so I'm looking at the $200ish ones. If anyone has any experience with the lower cost converters, please let me know what brand you have. It's a bummer that the HDMI amplifiers don't seem to work better. The only HDMI cable with built in "chipset" (amplifier) that I've found is $160 for 50ft. There really shouldn't be any difference in that than a "plug in" amp (if it used an equal quality chipset)....
Thanks, GZ

GWZ 01-07-2012 04:01 PM

Well after just posting that I can't find a HDMI cable with built in booster for less that $160 (actually $170 after I looked again), I find a 50 footer from Anamax.com for only $68...anyone have any experience with this product?

alk3997 01-08-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply. I probably didn't explain myself very well. I'm not so much concerned with future proofing as I am that I won't get reliable 1080p 3D over a 50ft run. From what I've read Coln seems to recommend a "HDbaseT device" as the best solution for long runs (which I'm assuming is HDMI over CAT 5/6 (Ethernet)). I'm not wanting to go HDMI over CAT 5/6 for the run from the Rcvr to the PJ due to cost and it seems a 30ft run is more reasonable to expect good performance from HDMI cables. I should add I'm assuming the cheap (<50$) converters probably aren't the best choice so I'm looking at the $200ish ones. If anyone has any experience with the lower cost converters, please let me know what brand you have. It's a bummer that the HDMI amplifiers don't seem to work better. The only HDMI cable with built in "chipset" (amplifier) that I've found is $160 for 50ft. There really shouldn't be any difference in that than a "plug in" amp (if it used an equal quality chipset)....
Thanks, GZ

Let's review the choices:

- A 50 foot standard speed cable - if you get a good cable (24 awg) this will likely work over 50 feet for 1080p/24 3D. I use one. You'll know right away if this works or doesn't. OK, may take five minutes or so, but you'll know if you start to see sparkles or lines or even no picture at all. Cheapest option.

- An active HDMI cable. Designed to length the transmission distance of a specific length of cable. We don't seem to talk too much about this option but I've seen a few listed here.

- Convert to Cat 5e/6. This basically converts the HDMI signal to Cat 5e/6 cable and allows greater lengths. Have to make sure the converter works with 3D. Does not provide any additional capabilities beyond HDMI.

- HDBaseT - different than the convert to Cat 5e/6 option. Provides additional capability including power.

- Fiber (or fibre) optic - Larger distances, more cost

Keep in mind that "Ethernet over HDMI" is a pre-existing HDMI capability added as part of HDMI 1.4a spec. No manufacturer seems to have implemented this capability yet. But, if implemented by the source and sink devices, this would allow Ethernet to be sent over the HDMI cable. However, just because a device has an Ethernet connection and an HDMI connection, it does not mean that Ethernet over HDMI has been implemented (likely it has not, at this time).

So, that's the current landscape. You might consider spending the money on a good standard speed cable and just see if that works. It would be the simplest solution.

DaddyLongLegs79 01-12-2012 05:04 PM

GWZ, I have a very similar problem. Have you had any luck?

GWZ 01-13-2012 05:21 PM

Well after much reading, I think the only solid solution is HDBaseT. As Colm said, it's different than the HDMI Baluns. I am re-planning my theater (at least as far as the rcvr/blu ray is concerned). I'm going to have a 25ft run from rcvr to PJ and the Blu ray is co-located with the Rcvr so I'll have a total of about 27ft The downside is I'll have 50ft speaker wire runs (there goes my damping factor). I may switch it back around later after the HDBaseT stuff gets a little cheaper.
GZ

GWZ 01-13-2012 05:27 PM

oops sorry alk3997, I want to give proper credit! It was you that explained that HDBaseT was not the same as HDMI Baulin.

alk3997 01-13-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

oops sorry alk3997, I want to give proper credit! It was you that explained that HDBaseT was not the same as HDMI Baulin.

No problem and thanks. We're here to help when we can.