Is it possible to send only audio via hdmi? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently using a Denon 1712 receiver hooked up to my computer via hdmi. I am purely using this as a speaker setup for my computer. The problem is my computer is also sending the video to the receiver. Although in day to day activity it works fine with the "duplicate" setting on for both "displays," my blu-ray player, PowerDVD 11, only plays the disc sending the video to the receiver, which leaves me seeing nothing (it only uses one display). I try to set my display to "disconnect projector," but then it doesn't give me the option to play my audio through the receiver.

So, can I use the hdmi connection to only send audio and not have to falsely "duplicate" my laptop screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 265
HDMI cannot carry audio without a video signal present. It can be a black or still image, but it has to be something.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Not the answer I wanted, haha, but thanks for your help.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 09:44 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by spddy101 View Post

Not the answer I wanted, haha, but thanks for your help.

Hang-on...I'm not sure you're asking the question you mean to ask. Are you using a NVidia card or an ATI card? I used to use NVidia until they disabled theater mode. I'm using an ATI card now and it works with the desktop output on one monitor and the HDMI output theater mode on a different monitor.

I think your one constraint would be for the audio to be enabled on the HDMI port and the DVI port (if it has a DVI port) to be used for the desktop.

This is certainly a do-able item but does not require an audio-only output (which, as has already been pointed out, is not an option).

Let me know what type of system you are using and there are solutions. At worst case a small distribution amp that sends the same HDMI signal to multiple displays might work, as well.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-14-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so, I am playing a blu-ray on my laptop. I have my receiver hooked up to my laptop via hdmi. I would like the video to play on my screen and the audio to come out of my speakers. PowerDVD 11 does not let you play the blu ray on multiple screens so it sends the video to the receiver, leaving my laptop screen blank. I haven't found a way in PowerDVD to change this setting. I tried using VLC, but for some reason it could not open the blu ray.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-14-2012, 02:00 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by spddy101 View Post

Ok, so, I am playing a blu-ray on my laptop. I have my receiver hooked up to my laptop via hdmi. I would like the video to play on my screen and the audio to come out of my speakers. PowerDVD 11 does not let you play the blu ray on multiple screens so it sends the video to the receiver, leaving my laptop screen blank. I haven't found a way in PowerDVD to change this setting. I tried using VLC, but for some reason it could not open the blu ray.

I suspect that this isn't a PowerDVD problem but a laptop problem. What you want is presentation mode on the laptop. Usually this is selected with an Fn key combination press. Many laptops (but not all) have a mode where both screens get the same video.

VLC likely wouldn't work if you have an commericial Blu-Ray disc and it is encrypted.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page